+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mage...on the dummies I can only get 2500 dps

Ok, you clearly have no idea how the tiered sets work (not that it's your fault, they don't explain crap).

So here is what you need to do. The T9 gear doesn't drop. It comes from Triumph badges. You need to buy the head (50) the shoulders (30) the pants (50) and the gloves (30) off the cloth vendor in Dalaran , or from the cloth vendor outside of ToC in Icecrown. They are call Khadgars xxxx of Conquest. You keep running randoms all week until you earn 160 Triumph Badges. You run the 3 newer heroics (HPoS, HFoS, and HHoR) for the various items they drop for a mage - including a nice dagger (seethe), offhand (shriveled heart), 2 different belts, some shoes, a necklace, and some bracers (all ilvl 232).

T10 Gloves and T10 pants drop off of the Ice boss in VoA (when you have wintergrasp). You also can buy them with frost badges - but I recommend you don't. You need to grind the 95 Frost for the T10 (Bloodmage) head, and 60 frost for the Bloodmage shoulderpads. You can't "earn" the santified bloodmage stuff, you have to win the token from 25 man ICC to go from "bloodmage" (t10) to "sanctified bloodmage" (t10.5).

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

To be clear, the vendor that sells the set items you are looking for is located inside a store in Dalaran called The Threads of Fate. Talk to Reuben Lauren. If you follow the link, you'll see a list of everything he sells. Scroll down to the "Khadgar's" gear.

That is the stuff you can buy with Triumph emblems. That is the stuff we're talking about when we say "T9 gear".

Buy it.

I know I need the pants. But when I look at my gear and the other triumph gear, I really don't see that it's better than what I have already. I know it's easy to assume it is, but if you compare it to what I personally have on, are you sure I should buy that gear???
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=Liltuscany

I'm pretty sure you will come out ahead if you get 4 pieces of T9, and get the 4-piece set bonus. If you replace the legs, and the chest and helm, that would give you the 4-set. You also should get rid of the PvP gear. Replacing the PvP gear may not drastically improve your dps, but it will definitely make it easiser to get into raids; if anyone inspects you and sees PvP gear on, it can cause problems.

I know that would mean replacing the PvE 245 helm, and PvE 232 chest piece. You could instead just replace the legs, and then work on replacing the rest of the PvP gear you have. That would improve things too.

Well lets compare shall we...

Assuming you would gem your T9 pants with 2 Reckless Ametrines...

http://www.wowhead.com/item=47750
    compared to
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=41959

-46 stamina (has no value for DPS)
    +32 intellect
    +16 crit
    -12 spellpower (this is the biggest loss, however the gains of the other stats will overtake this substantially)
    +20 haste
    -80 resilience (again, has no value for DPS)
    +54 spirit
    +2 piece tier 9 bonus

This would net you a large DPS gain over the PvP piece.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    Well lets compare shall we...

Assuming you would gem your T9 pants with 2 Reckless Ametrines...

http://www.wowhead.com/item=47750
    compared to
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=41959

-46 stamina (has no value for DPS)
    +32 intellect
    +16 crit
    -12 spellpower (this is the biggest loss, however the gains of the other stats will overtake this substantially)
    +20 haste
    -80 resilience (again, has no value for DPS)
    +54 spirit
    +2 piece tier 9 bonus

This would net you a large DPS gain over the PvP piece.

RIght, I said I need the pants. What else though is actually worth changing, if anything?

Replacing the PvP gear may not drastically improve your dps, but it will definitely make it easiser to get into raids; if anyone inspects you and sees PvP gear on, it can cause problems.
    Now this TOTALLY makes sense!!!! But I still hear "Your DPS is a little too low for ICC"

Quote Originally Posted by Liltuscany View Post
    Now this TOTALLY makes sense!!!! But I still hear "Your DPS is a little too low for ICC"
    It could still also be your rotation. For example, are you making proper use of your cooldowns, like your trinkets, Arcane Empowerment, Icy Veins, and Mirror Images? Those things also make a difference with your DPS, even on a target dummy.

You could also be losing DPS if you are missing your missile barrage procs (which lets you channel arcane missiles faster). It would likely be beneficial if you had a mod to track missile barrage. Some mages hold off on casting arcane missiles, and just spam arcane blast (even after getting 4 stacks) until missile barrage procs. Its a bit of a fine line though, because you can go oom fast that way if you hit a bad streak of no procs.

Yep. I have really studied everything with the target dummies. I now just cast arcane blast then arcane barrage. If I cast arc missles, even with the proc..it drags my DPS down quickly. I always use my trinkets, even have macros for them. I use all of them as quickly as they proc but I'm still stuck at mid to upper 3k dps. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Liltuscany View Post
    If I cast arc missles, even with the proc..it drags my DPS down quickly.
    This shouldn't be the case. If you are hitting arcane missiles as soon as missile barrage procs, this could be the problem. You want to wait until you have 4 stacks from Arcane blast first. While stacking Arcane blast, if missile barrage procced somewhere along the way, then hit arcane missiles after you reach the 4th stack of Arcane Blast. If after 4 arcane blasts, you have no missile barrage proc, then you just keep hitting Arcane Blast until it does proc.

If you are running low on mana, you cut your losses, hit arcane barrage*, and start stacking arcane blasts all over again.

* There are a few differing opinions about this, so someone may disagree with me.

Your T9 2pc and 4pc bonus drastically outweighs anything your pvp gear will give you. Point for point they may be close or a little under what you have, but the stuff the set synergies give you are good.

Extra crit? Ok.

Wait till you get 4pc t10 o.O

If you are hitting arcane missiles as soon as missile barrage procs, this could be the problem. You want to wait until you have 4 stacks from Arcane blast first. While stacking Arcane blast, if missile barrage procced somewhere along the way, then hit arcane missiles after you reach the 4th stack of Arcane Blast. If after 4 arcane blasts, you have no missile barrage proc, then you just keep hitting Arcane Blast until it does proc.
    I always wait for 4 arc blast, then when it procs...missles. Not as good dps (on dummies) as 4 ablast then arc barrage and back to ablast. I have tried it every way and barrage is not as good dps. See, it's me. Wow hates me. lol

Have you trained (and put on your bars) all levels of arcane missles? It's not even a close comparison...missles are significantly better dps than abarr.

Comparing the T9 to what you have now...

As already established, the Legs are a clear upgrade.

The Chest is arguably not, unless it leads you to getting the 4pc bonus.

The head is a flat out downgrade. Unless you are also grabbing the chest for the 4pc t9. Then it is arguably worth it. Of course, I doubt you will have 4 pieces of t9 before you can replace one with a t10 so don't worry to much about it.

On the longer term issue of t10s - the set bonuses for mages are massive. Do not even consider not working towards it. That being said, the cloak and belt are generally better choices to spend your Frost emblems on. Also, DO NOT spend Frosts on Gloves/Legs unless you already have 2 of Head/Shoulder/Chest. Until such a time, try to get them from VoA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    Have you trained (and put on your bars) all levels of arcane missles? It's not even a close comparison...missles are significantly better dps than abarr.
    You'd be suprised how often this comes up, @ Liltuscany.

Even if you're sure you've trained everything to max rank, check again just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Goros View Post
    I can post you my Mage's armory link, since you are arcane. I pull a sustained 7.5k dps over 3 minutes on the boss target dummy in IF, ungrouped and with only 46sp food & flask.

I'll post a video of the rotation I use, and you'll see in the video I have a bunch of stuff macro'd together to make my life easier while dpsing as arcane.

Here's my link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...onde&cn=Aliiza

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKFwUz1O8pQ

My gear is gemmed/chanted the best way I can currently according to Rawr
    Goros that video is great. I have a baby mage I'm working on myself. Are those power aura strings available?

Send me a PM and tell me what you need from my powerauras and I'll send you whatever you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Goros View Post
    I can post you my Mage's armory link, since you are arcane. I pull a sustained 7.5k dps over 3 minutes on the boss target dummy in IF, ungrouped and with only 46sp food & flask.

I'll post a video of the rotation I use, and you'll see in the video I have a bunch of stuff macro'd together to make my life easier while dpsing as arcane.

Here's my link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...onde&cn=Aliiza

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKFwUz1O8pQ

My gear is gemmed/chanted the best way I can currently according to Rawr
    I was curious which items do you have macro'd together for convience? I liked your video a very nice demonstration.

What is the name of the remix cadence?

I have 5 or 6 different macros that I use.

First, I have /stopcasting macros on my Ice Block, Counterspell, Polymorph, and Spell Steal - so I can pop them in an emergency, even though it breaks my current cast.

Then on my Arcane Blast I have my talisman of resurgence macro'd in so it gets used every time it's up. Since there is always a short period before a boss pull, usually it's back up before the pull.

My Arcane Missiles have my mana gem macro'd in, that way I never, ever miss a use of it in a fight, and it goes off when it can be used and not wasted (after 4 AB's).

The last macro is AP/IV/Pot/Mirror Image. It's a baby heroism/bloodlust in a mage button. Always go Pot, ABx3, PoM+AB, AP/IV/MI, then again when they come back up (and it puts the pot in after the 2min cooldown)
    Last edited by Goros; 04-14-2010 at 12:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread