+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot. warrior help

Prot. warrior help

I've been tanking for a while, I would say for at least a year and almost everyone says i'm a really good tank and my groups almost never wipe when I do tank. But lately I've been noticing some problems with keeping aggro with BIG groups. Now I don't use macros and i really don't know if this is a big deal or not because I never have a problem with aggro unless it's a big group. Any other warrior tanks know how to solve this? Please take a look at my character and give me some pointers on talents, or whatever you see fit even macros if it really is that big of deal. Thanks

Btw my character is unkownkiller on azuremyst

Anything on macros?
    Cause for aoe i do everything it says all ready

If we're talking raiding I've found the greatest tool for keeping AoE agro is yelling at the dps. Tell them when they're being idiots about starting AoE too soon and eventually they will learn.. or not but I still find it enjoyable yelling at the dps once in a while.

On AOE packs in 25 man, I usually just let the DK or pally do most of the tanking, and I'll target around and make sure no DPS is getting facesmashed. I can pull decent burst threat but after the first few seconds of DnD or Cons I'm up the creek without a taunt. I don't really care who's tanking as long as it's tanked, and I can sit in and provide debuffs and aoe stuns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Or go afk and browse forums or get dinner or soda, that's what I did /shrug. (that is a joke btw... sorta...)
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    sorta...
    =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Well I usually don't have a problem with raids, it's usually on the big mob pulls in heroics if there a good dps they'll pull them off me after all my AOEs are on cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Or go afk and browse forums or get dinner or soda, that's what I did /shrug. (that is a joke btw... sorta...)
    kinda half a joke, as far as raids go you're kinda screwed if you're competing against a DK or a pally.

If you're having issues with DPS pulling off of you then some more help may be needed :P Is that hte issue you're having?

*Edit: Screwed against a DK or Pally on 25 man trash
    Winter is coming

My advice is simple, and works most of the times (talking heroics here):

Hold your trigger on shockwave for a few seconds. If an aoe happy mage pulls aggro you can then stun them all and start working on shield slams/ devs etc. to build aggro again.

*$

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    On AOE packs in 25 man, I usually just let the DK or pally do most of the tanking, and I'll target around and make sure no DPS is getting facesmashed. I can pull decent burst threat but after the first few seconds of DnD or Cons I'm up the creek without a taunt. I don't really care who's tanking as long as it's tanked, and I can sit in and provide debuffs and aoe stuns.
    This. I gave up trying to AoE tank with a pally or DK present, it isn't worth the effort for trash - they do it so easily. If I'm solo tanking, or tanking with another warrior then the DPS will learn soon enough after the healers pick them up for the 4th time

I can see Aggathon, sandwich in one hand mouse in the other during trash pulls.....
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Running with a Pally co-tank on 10 - yeah, trash pulls are not much fun.

1. Vig on Pally so I can taunt any that get free
    2. Taunt any mobs with directional AoE to me (so they face away from the group). If only one, then taunt some other random mob too. (or Plague scientst so I can SB/CB him to keep him from turning DPS into oozes)
    3. Move them *slightly* away from the big group so they are next to each other.
    4. Revenge/cleave them to keep them happy about going after me.
    5. Throw down TC/Demo Shout/Shockwave when availble so I feel like I'm doing something.
    6. Hope the DPS burns them down quickly so we can get to a boss and I don't feel so useless.

Also just a quick note, shield block is also a very good AoE ability too since it increases your BV by 100% it also doubles the amount of damage your damage shield does. Tclap -> shockwave -> tclap and shield block as soon as shockwave wears off, cleaving and revenging as much as possible.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Let the Pally and or DK tank it. It's their job. Warriors tank bosses pallys and DKs tank adds. Not my opinion it's just the way the game is.

Agreed, look for lose mobs toss in a taunt. Toss in your aoe abilities but don't expect to out aggro a paladins aoe or death and decay aggro on massive mobs.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I thought it was just me not doing something right but Now I get that were just really underpowered when it comes to holding threat with AOE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortale View Post
    Let the Pally and or DK tank it. It's their job. Warriors tank bosses pallys and DKs tank adds. Not my opinion it's just the way the game is.
    really? this is no longer TBC u know? (and im well aware that DKs werent around in TBC ~_~)
    http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1341818.jpg
    " 'Thin' is a relative term..."

+ Reply to Thread