Closed Thread

Thread: Discussion: The new changes to DK tanking

Discussion: The new changes to DK tanking

Tankspot just had the news on the main page, I hope everyone saw the incoming changes.

I would like to know the thoughts of the Tankspot community on the new changes to death knight tanking trees by eliminating frost and unholy, and focusing all the "main" tanking talents into the blood tree.

There still isn't enough information on the many talents and abilities used in the frost and unholy tree "Unbreakable armor, Bone shield, Frigid dreadplate, Howling Blast etc... " and if they will be moved to the blood tree.

A bit disappointing to me since I spec Frost and Blood tank; but guess this means I need to start rolling on DPS offspec gear now.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    A bit disappointing to me since I spec Frost and Blood tank; but guess this means I need to start rolling on DPS offspec gear now.
    I second this..

I thought the DK was the "hero class"? Now we're being homogenized.

Looking over the post from Ghostcrawler this part here sticks out:

It started to feel unfair to the other tank classes that we had to spend so much effort tweaking three types of DK tanks, and it even started to feel unfair to the DK that we couldn’t focus their tanking experience. One bit of feedback that really struck home was the DK players who said, essentially, “I look at the Protection tree and I’m jealous of all of the cool tools they have to help their tanking. As a DK, I have to pick and choose tanking talents from within a sea of dps talents.” Rather than have a strong focus, the trees felt a little watered down because they were trying to do so much. With Frost as a dual-wield, spell and runic power focused tree, Unholy as a disease and minion focused tree, and Blood as a self-healing, defensive cooldown, tanking tree, we think the focus of each tree is a lot clearer and cooler.
    The part that specifically irritates me is the "It started to feel unfair to the other tank classes....".

O_o

Really? Because I really haven't heard a clamor among the tanks on my server/realm that they all wish they were DK tanks. We got nerfed to the point where we became subpar tanks, and Blizz had to do something to restore some of the function.

I'm fine with the change. So make one tree a "tank" tree. But Blizz..... you NEED to fix that one tree and do it right so that we ARE on the same level with warriors/pally. If you're going to take away some of the color of the DK by making them like every other class, then damn it.... you'd better get the whole thing in check.

I think they picked the wrong tree, but hey, they made their decision. Now they gotta unf*ck things.
    Good luck Blizz. Hope you come by TankSpot to hear what we all have to say here and not just your forums (where I think there are a LARGE number of ass-hats). Honestly, they're going to be pretty much rebuilding the class, almost a complete overhaul, as opposed to the changes that are moving forward for the other classes.

Cataclysm = DK 2.0
    Last edited by Leucifer; 04-07-2010 at 09:16 AM.

You know you guys can discuss this IN the news thread right?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Leucifer

Being the hero class doesn't make the DK any better than the other tank/dps hybrids.

But I agree with you, except I really welcome the change and love it, having all these tank abilities spread through 3 different talent trees wasn't very convenient compared to other tanks.

You don't see warriors having last stand in the arms tree, or having vigilance in the fury tree, the same with DK's. I would like bone shield, UA, Vampiric blood to be all within the blood tree to maximise the tanks utility.

Mend

The DK was supposed to be a "hero" class. Something unique.
    Now.... it is being reduced to the mundane. It is becoming one with the masses.

Let's not kid ourselves.... the change is going to be a COMPLETE overhaul of the class.

Think about it. What is the "tank presence"? Frost presence. So, for starters, we're going to be seeing the presences being flipped around. How many different talents in each tree reflect tanking? Are these going to be translated over to blood..... or just simply lost to the DK forever? What new talents are going to replace these, as there will be a large void left to fill. The dps talents, how will they mesh in? Will new ones be incorporated into blood, or will some merge? Spells/talents like Howling Blast..... what will happen to these?

This is a MUCH bigger change than what any other class is going to be experiencing. And what I find almost comical about it, is this:

"It started to feel unfair to the other tank classes that we had to spend so much effort tweaking three types of DK tanks, and it even started to feel unfair to the DK that we couldn’t focus their tanking experience. " http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...sid=1&pageNo=1

So, Blizzard is performing an overhaul to a class because of how it was "unfair" to the other classes?
    Do they realize the effort that will be required in 1) changing all the trees to reduce to one tank tree and 2) all of the work they will have to do to simply get that one tree balanced out AFTER they've pretty much started over with the class?

As for their statement that it was "unfair" to the DK, how is this proposed change going to be "fair"? You're now taking a class that felt subpar compared to the other tank classes, buttoning it down to now one spec, and overhauling the whole class.

Closed Thread