+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New bear tank

New bear tank

Hello,
    I'm new to tanking and have some problems.
    I'm training on normals, mostly ToC5, because I want the trinket from it. However I cant figure out how to get all ghouls from Black Knight to me, they are all running around like headless chickens and people die... and blame me. I'm afraid that I will not protect people from dying in heroics and raids. Any advice how to pull and tank packs bigger than 3 so mobs will not run away from me?

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...mer&cn=Marrida
    I know my gear is not so awesome, but I'm farming heroics as healer so I will soon be a mix of 232/245.

Thanks in advance

That is a particualrly annoying part of toc5. I feel your pain.

Sadly the best way I have found to control that is to prepare the team before hand, and get them to stack at the beginning of the 2nd phase. Try and stack nearish to a wall so that you aren't surrounded by ghouls on all sides. This will (generally) bring all the ghouls to you, and you can get their attention with some AoE (eg thunder clap, shockwave) or (in your case) challenging roar. Then your team will scatter quick smart to avoid any exploding ghouls.

If you want to be *really* organised about it, I suspect that the animated ghouls are the animated corpses of the jousters you fought at the beginning of the dungeon. if you kill them all in one spot, they should, in theory, all spawn in one spot. Good luck trying to organise that in a PUG

As a warrior tank, I find it common that a stray ghoul will chase your healer or other squishy around, making life difficult. paladins have a much easier time with aoe control, but yeah. Give it a try.

PS: it occurs to me that your team was dumb. if they picked up a ghoul, they should have brought it to you for you to aoe/taunt it off them
    Last edited by Metasynaptic; 04-06-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Those ghouls drop aggro. You can regain aggro and taunt, but you have limited ability to do so.

The DPS and your healers should ALSO be practicing their raid awareness and getting out of the way.

I tend to tell everyone to ignore the ghouls and kill the knight, use swipe to get the aggro(just do a circle around the boss) and when one runs to attack someone else I growl, if mutli run off us your aoe taunt. Before they can run off again hes dead and they go BOOM!.

Hello,
    It's me again
    I've geared up and doing fine in all dungeons. However yesterday my guild tried to help me gear up more and took me to ToC10N. My problems with tanking was:
    - on beasts all was ok, but got some problems with starting threat
    - on Jaraxxus in midfight mage (9-10k DPS) overaggroed him and got oneshotted
    - champions were ok
    - Valkyrs - starting threat problems, but one taunt was enough for rest of fight
    - Anub - after burrowing and coming back I used FF->Mangle->Swipe for fast threat and after 15 seconds warrior dps died (overaggro) and after taunt mage again did some big dps and died too

No hunter, no rogue so no misdirection and no tricks were in raid.
    In VoA25 (pug) all was ok, however I'm not sure if I got tricks/misdirection.
    As You can see I got problems with first seconds of fight and sometimes after some short break (Anub burrow for example) and I don't know how to fix it.

From ToC10 I got Band of the Twin Val'kyr. Is it good to replace my ring from ToC5 or not?

Armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ture+Co&cn=Cii (yes, it's the same druid from first post)

Tomorrow (Tuesday) I'm going to tank ICC10 and I'm afraid if I will be doing good

Thanks in advance

Hi
    it's good that your guild want to help you gear up but they still have to remember that you are undergeared and "learning" tanking these places. It's the usual problem will face constantly from your dps......mainly because they are so set in getting to the top of recount that they forget about the small issue of overaggro. If your Mage died from this tough shit it's his fault. Now if you where a fully geared icc tank and this happened I would say it's proberly your fault but your not so chill.
    It's a learning curve both for u and them and as soon as they click it will be fine. Toc normal dosent require 10k dps to beat a boss so unless it's a badge run or a boost run for a dps or healer they should calm down and concentrate on aggro and helping you progress so you can go onto bigger and better things.
    Good luck
    So long and thanks for all this fish

Thank You for Your answer That's what other tanks in guild were telling me, but I'm still trying to improve my gameplay

At what point should I start gemming full stamina? I got about 43% dodge selfbuffed (can't say exactly because can't log now) and about 42-44k hp selfbuffed. I saw many tanks (in my guild or in other, for example Sejta from Paragon) gemming full stamina and I'm not sure if it's good (for me) considering ICC dodge debuff.

When to start gemming stamina? Now. And don't stop until/unless Cata manages to change things drastically.

Dodge is a CHANCE to survive.
    Stamina is never RNG.

Check out the Theory and Mechanics section for the work done by Agg. Title is Why We Do What We Do.

+ Reply to Thread