+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK DPS Spec/Rotation help

DK DPS Spec/Rotation help

My guild has been starting to raid ICC 10 recently and they say I need to pick up the DPS or else I can't go and I've been experimenting with Blood/Unholy but like i will have good DPS but when i get to a boss it goes to crap anyone have suggestions for Glyphs, a spec, rotations or any of that?
    btw here is a link to my armory page http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ner&cn=Lupobro

Hey whats up man, the first thing that i see is the trinkets, you can try to get the needle encrusted scorpion from H FOS, deaths verdict, or whispering fang skull. The weapon u have is good but if u can get the sword off lord marrowgar in icc 10 or the axe off saurfang in icc 10 both drop pretty often those would be great upgrades. The next thing i see is the meta in your helm, take out that inscribed ametrine and put in a nightmare tear it is +10 to all stats and matches any socket then you can keep only one of those sovereigns and stack straight strength gems. Any of the trinkets and weapons i mentioned will more than make up for the two inscribed ametrines u have for the + 10 crit u are goiing to lose for replacing them with strength gems. Change out the glyph of icy touch for glyph of dancing rune weapon. Rotation for the most part is PS, IT, HSx2 or 3, blood tap, DS, by that time u should be full on runic power, pop hysteria, empower runic weapon, then dancing rune weapon, then HS as many times as you can DS, then DC to dump power, then repeat first part of the rotation PS, IT, HSx2 or 3, blood tap, DS, dump and repeat. The PS and IT probably dont have to be refreshed every rotation but one every two would probably do. I hope this helps and there are a lot more people on here that know more than i do about dk dps so if any one has any thing further maybe they will chime in.

Good Hunting,
    Latormenta
    Korgath
    Meus Mendum

What exactly is your dps like? I don't see anything glaringly wrong with your gear besides being over hit capped. Your expertise is low but for Unholy that's not as big of an issue. Your specs and glyphs look fine also. Listing your rotation would make it easier to identify possible issues with it, but you can also find help by visiting the DK dps threads on Tankspot and Elitist Jerks.

my DPS is usually around 4k (but in ICC/TotC i cant get over 5k single target = / ) usually and yes, I know im over the hit cap but im trying to get some gear from ICC (with more haste/arp rather than stuff with hit) and rotation wise I use the addon FaceSmasher and usually with it tells me to do is for Unholy, get plagues up and spam blood strike and when its on CD PS as many times as i can and then RP dump and for Blood get plagues up and then spam HS and when on rune cd DS and RP dump
    Last edited by Lupobro; 04-07-2010 at 03:34 PM.

PS as many times as you can? I think you stop relying on a mod and learn how DKs work.

Ok, from looking at your armory:
    1. You're over Melee hit cap ater one of your hit trinkets. Nearly any other trinket for the other slot will give you a huge boost (Banner of Victory, Mirror of Truth, DMC:G, even the expertise ToC trinket). What is it about those trinkets that makes every DK think they're actually good for them?
    2. Why do you have Glyph of Icy Touch?
    3. Get a 4th piece of T9 until you have at least 2 pieces of T10.
    4. Get proper professions, or at least max out one that will add to your DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupobro View Post
    I use the addon FaceSmasher and usually with it tells me to do is for Unholy
    Mods are great for just starting out but it's advisable to learn the rotation yourself. Addons can't account for every boss scenario that might mess up the rotation or require you to do something different.

< 5k in ICC with the 10% buff is unusually low, your rotation/spec is likely off.

I've always thought unholy is the least gear dependent of the specs, I'd suggest a reapingless unholy spec until you get 2pc T10. http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...PEqE,HpF,11623 try that one. At higher gear levels frost is competitive with unholy for single targets, but unholy still pulls ahead when any sort of AE is involved. Blood, in my opinion, is really only competitive when you can get near/reach the ArP cap when switching to full ArP gems, which is really difficult without DBW, even then, I still think unholy is superior :P

Everyone is right about your trinkets, I'd get a Darkmoon Card: Greatness as soon as possible, you'll use it for a long time.

You should really drop that glyph of blood tap for glyph of pestilence. The damage blood tap does is insignificant, but an additional 5 yards on pestilence can be game changing.

Once you complete 2pc T10 I'd suggest switching to a reaping spec http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...RrO0,HpF,11623 as the extra scourge strike damage will make the switch to reaping worth it.

I know you came here for advice, but I strongly suggest reading the unholy thread over on ElitistJerks http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t72364-u...ole_new_world/

It's the best thread devoted to a single spec for any class that I've seen. The knowledge in that post improved my game quite a bit.

Oh and thank you for all the help you guys have given me ; ) but I've found that blood has been working for me because I did my server's Weekly (XT-002 Deconstructor) and I pulled about 6k during the entire fight using the rotation PS-IT-HS (or pestilence)-HS-DS-DC (HoW if available)-DC-DS-HS Spam-DS (if available) and then repeat. And I have stopped using FaceSmasher because i learned this rotation and because it kept bugging out on me. So yeah thanks for the advice and all but I'm still open for more tips if anyone has some = ) .

The guy above said it correctly untill you can get massive amounts of ArP blood is vastly behind unholy or frost in terms of Dmg output and raid utility. XT is very misleading because of the heart phase. Unholy has a nice simple rotation with massive dmg potential.

If you are planning on sticking to the Blood spec you might think about dropping the Icy Touch glyph as was previously mentioned and putting the Dancing Rune Weapon glyph in it's place. In place of that first Death Coil pop Hysteria followed by DRW and go to town.

I'm having the same trouble with my DPS, I've spent hours looking at other sites, and blogs trying to find where I"m going wrong or if I'm doing something wrong. But I can't spot the problem. I could really use some advice because my DPS and gear is keeping me out of a lot of 10/25man runs. Here is a link to my gear, please tell me if you spot a mistake I've made. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=Wolfsblade

TY Wolfsblade

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsblade View Post
    I'm having the same trouble with my DPS, I've spent hours looking at other sites, and blogs trying to find where I"m going wrong or if I'm doing something wrong. But I can't spot the problem. I could really use some advice because my DPS and gear is keeping me out of a lot of 10/25man runs. Here is a link to my gear, please tell me if you spot a mistake I've made. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=Wolfsblade

TY Wolfsblade
    Your Blood spec does not have Dancing Rune Weapon (it's a must) yet you're glyphed for it which is correct (provided you respec to pick up DRW). Outbreak is wrong. 2/2 Epidemic is for the use of Glyph of Disease. If you're going to go with Glyph of Dark Death then put only 1 point in Epidemic.

Your Unholy spec is fine except you're using 2 Blood glyphs that are completely useless for Unholy.

Lose some hit and replace your pvp gear. The Relentless Earthsiege meta gem is better because it only requires 1 Nightmare Tear to activate it. Your Nightmare Tear is in your gloves which only contain a +4 strength bonus and is not even activated anyway. You want to put your Tear in a piece of gear that gives +8 strength preferably though +6 would be okay.

Thank you for the advice, I changed out some of my gems, and moved the Nightmare Tear to my chest armor, and re-speced to get DRW back. I'm working on replacing the PVP gear.

I have another Question, I was told that I should use Unholy Pres instead of Blood for the speed, Honestly wouldn't Blood be better?

Thanks again for the help!
    Last edited by Wolfsblade; 04-28-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Your Presence of choice for any PvE dps spec right now is going to be Blood. Some may have suggested to spec into improved Unholy Presence, which allows you to retain the movement speed while in Blood Presence. The benefit it gives is not easily measurable on paper and it's worth depends on how much movement a boss fight has.

When I posted this you have dual Blood specs so I wouldn't even worry about Imp UH Presence unless you're considering swapping one spec back to UH.

Ok thank you

+ Reply to Thread