+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Warrior Tanking Tree ~ Rend?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    142

    Warrior Tanking Tree ~ Rend?

    So I was looking over my talents, and thought I could make some changes. Currently, this is my talent setup for prot: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#Li0h0fZhZVItrx0didczsGo

    Now, my idea is that I was using Iron Will as a filler. What it be better to put 2 of those points in Improved Rend for threat, and to help dps. And then put the other point in Improved Heroic Strike for more threat as well. What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    777
    Take all your points out of Iron Will. Use one point to max out Imp. Heroic Strike and put the other two into Improved Charge.

    Really don't even bother with Rend. You're weapon damage is low with a one-handed weapon and you really don't have any free Global Cooldowns to use as Prot so Rend would be a DPS loss.

    Hope that helps!

    //kak
    "A man can learn twice as much from milking a cat as two men can from a very tall fourth man.
    - Mark "Alec Baldwin" Twain

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    142
    The thing is, I use rend in my rotation. I hold threat wonderfully fine, and time to time I have Arms warriors, mutilate rogues, or feral druids who can benefit from the rend. Improved Charge I don't really see a use in since I have plenty of rage as it is.

  4. #4
    Edit: if you've got no threat problems, no rage problems, don't want the extra rage on charge, and want to help your physical dps'ers with an extra bleed, then yeah, get rid of Iron will and put the left over points in Improved HS and Rend. Iron will does nothing for you in raids, it's more of a pvp talent.
    Last edited by Kurtosis; 04-03-2010 at 04:50 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,485
    Rend is both a TPS and DPS LOSS. It does less damage and less threat than any other ability you could do that requires a global cooldown (aka devastate, revenge, shield slam, shockwave, and even conq blow as far as threat goes).

    Let me say this clearly so that there is no confusion on this...

    As a tank... NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER REND OR SPEC INTO IMP REND, EVER EVER.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Rend is both a TPS and DPS LOSS. It does less damage and less threat than any other ability you could do that requires a global cooldown (aka devastate, revenge, shield slam, shockwave, and even conq blow as far as threat goes).

    Let me say this clearly so that there is no confusion on this...

    As a tank... NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER REND OR SPEC INTO IMP REND, EVER EVER.
    Alright, what do you say I should put the points into then?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostglaive View Post
    and time to time I have Arms warriors, mutilate rogues, or feral druids who can benefit from the rend.
    Wait... how exactly do said classes benefit from your rend?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    Wait... how exactly do said classes benefit from your rend?
    Feral benefit from bleed effects when using Mangle, Arms warrior put up trauma which increases bleed damage which helps dps, and mutilate rogues get to use Hunger for Blood when a bleed effect is on the target.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostglaive View Post
    Feral benefit from bleed effects when using Mangle, Arms warrior put up trauma which increases bleed damage which helps dps, and mutilate rogues get to use Hunger for Blood when a bleed effect is on the target.
    Neither Feral nor Arms would benefit from YOUR bleed effect though, and if a rogue needs to have a bleed up, he can use Rupture instead of making you waste a GCD fairly often.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post
    Neither Feral nor Arms would benefit from YOUR bleed effect though, and if a rogue needs to have a bleed up, he can use Rupture instead of making you waste a GCD fairly often.
    Quoting this just for extra emphasis. Your Rend will benefit from Bleed increasing effects. No other class will benefit from you having Rend up.

    As for talents: If nothing else in the arms tree is interesting to you you can always spend points on improving your shouts, Cruelty, Imp. Cleave, or (as I would suggest) Focused Rage. I would still highly recommend maxing out Imp. Heroic Strike.

    Try a build like this.
    "A man can learn twice as much from milking a cat as two men can from a very tall fourth man.
    - Mark "Alec Baldwin" Twain

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostglaive View Post
    Alright, what do you say I should put the points into then?
    Put them in imp charge.

    5/5 parry, 3/3 imp HS, 2/2 imp charge, 2/2 impale, 3/3 deep wounds <- that should be your arms tree as a tank unless you are going a max survival spec. Imp charge is the only talent you'll get use out of based on the given options.

    Edit: Also I agree with Arikak's build, though you could move 3 points in shield spec to focused rage instead, but that is personal preference and not currently in question.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    142
    Alright, that's what I was going to go for in the arms tree. Also, a question about taking 3 out of the Shield Specialization, and putting them into Focused Rage. What's the benefit out of taking points out of something that has a chance to reduce damage done to you, for something that reduces the cost of all 'offensive' abilities by 3? It doesn't seem like much, and if you're tanking something rage is no problem.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Rend is both a TPS and DPS LOSS. It does less damage and less threat than any other ability you could do that requires a global cooldown (aka devastate, revenge, shield slam, shockwave, and even conq blow as far as threat goes).

    Let me say this clearly so that there is no confusion on this...

    As a tank... NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER REND OR SPEC INTO IMP REND, EVER EVER.
    I respectfully disagree with agg. He is a much better smarter sexier more good looking tank than me, but rend is grealy useful if you're using the blood draining enchant.

    Were i using blood draining (which i'm not but plan to switch back to for experimentations sake) i would have rend up whenever possible. But even then i would NEVER spec into it
    Winter is coming

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,485
    Deep wounds is more than enough and blood draining procs off of melee hits AND bleeds, so really melee should be enough and melee + DW is more than enough.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    your moms house
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostglaive
    Alright, that's what I was going to go for in the arms tree. Also, a question about taking 3 out of the Shield Specialization, and putting them into Focused Rage. What's the benefit out of taking points out of something that has a chance to reduce damage done to you, for something that reduces the cost of all 'offensive' abilities by 3? It doesn't seem like much, and if you're tanking something rage is no problem.
    Rage is often more of an issue then you would think in ICC. 2% block doesnt really do much for you and would only be an issue if your healer comp is very gimped for some reason.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post
    Rage is often more of an issue then you would think in ICC. 2% block doesnt really do much for you and would only be an issue if your healer comp is very gimped for some reason.
    The caveat to this is we've only reach the professor.

    Which fights? The only time I'm ever concerned about rage is during taunt fights like Saurfang who don't drop a damage don't on you (which made rage a non-issue in other taunt fights like Gluth and Gormock).

    Trash pulls were a rage problem until I figured out the Pally I run with is just going to be in the middle of a mob-bang, so I taunt one off, taunt another, and use cleave/execute to keep them focused on me while using TC/Demo/Shockwave on the full group. This keeps me getting hit enough to keep me raging.

    With the 20% avoidence debuff, I haven't really seen any rage problems because I'm always getting hit. Have I just been lucky compared to you?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,900
    I have actually been starved on a few fights in ICC, particularily when there is a lot of "stop attacking the tank to cast something"... ie. Rotface - Slime spray.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    I have actually been starved on a few fights in ICC, particularily when there is a lot of "stop attacking the tank to cast something"... ie. Rotface - Slime spray.
    Is it really an issue though? At that point you're miles ahead in threat and there's nothing that he does that you must have rage that very second to counteract (unlike say Jax's Fireball and shield bash).

    Maybe I have been rage-depleted temporarily since there was no real effect on the fight (any any DPS loss on my end from not have rage is absoutely trivial - my tank DPS is almost a non-factor it seems like - but I keep the aggro easily enough).

    It's entirely probable that I'm missing some key element here, but outside of taunt-fights I've never been hindered by my rage levels -- my biggest problem is still learning to anticipate healing drop-offs due to events. Rage isn't in the same zipcode as that one.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,485
    It's really personal preference whether you go 5/5 shield spec or 3/3 focused rage 2/5 shield spec. Focused rage is more efficient and results in overall higher rage gains in ICC as far as talents go, however some people prefer the extra block and don't have rage problems either way. Imo it's 6 of one half a dozen of the other, neither spec choice will cause you grief (unless you're tanking H-Anub25 adds, in which case you NEED 5/5 shield spec).
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,900
    I can't say it's caused any issues... I just like to have rage all the time.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts