+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Paladin how to gem late in game

Prot Paladin how to gem late in game

Ok, so I have read many posts, but am still unsure as to what is the best way to gem as a protection paladin. I am currently gemmed for mitigation as you can see from the link to the armory. After doing some thinking I was under the impression that it might be good for the MT to gem mitigation and OT to gem stamina. Is this wrong? Should both tanks gem one way or the other? These comments are intended toward ICC encounters.

Thanks for your time and comments.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...en&cn=Bergmain

I believe the current consensus is to either

A) Ignore socket bonuses unless they are 9 or higher stam and only require 1 non blue gem

B) Ignore socket bonuses completely except the 1 red required to activate your meta.

If you go with A you would gain 90 stam I believe, and B would be even more. Also I believe for paladins 10 agility / 15 stam is considered better than 10 dodge / 15 stam.

Firstly you are not gemming mitigation. Mitigation is obtained through atributes which reduce the damage you are taking directly such as armour. You are gemming avoidance.
    In this regard you are way into the diminishing returns for dodge. Even if you weren't the +agility +stamina is a better gem. You get dodge, crit and a minimum ammount of armour. At the point you are in the Shifting Dreadstone is just a better gem for pallies.

You can gem what ever suits you best. How ever the general consensus for ICC is EH > avoidance. People feel better having a fixed ammount of health, say 1k to give healers a little more time to react than a .75% more chance to dodge which might not happen at all. But the consensus doesn't imply that what you are doing is wrong. Just that you prefer avoidance.

the rest depends on the level at which the paladin is at. Judging by your armory you are at a ICC 10/25 tank but not yet at heroic modes tanking.

For heroic mode tanking the people ignore any bonus that isnt that +12 stamina and with a red socket. Yellow sockets tend to be ignored. And yes the gem we pallies want if the Shifting Dreadstone.

For your level, which seems fairly similar to mine, and with the new ICC buffs the discussion has changed as of late. Since the 10% buff tank death is much less normal, you usually die last after your group wipes unless the healers arent at thier best. So you can consider all the +9 and +12 depending on your personal choice. I like taking the +12 with one red, or the +9 with one red.

Yellow sockets i ignore completely the only gem i half like for yellow's is the Enduring Eye which i would consider only if i fell bellow the 540 minimum. You are way above the defense minimum and don't really need anymore of it (im not saying its useless im saying you dont need it). If you need two gems to match a socket its only worth your time if its a +12 but i generally dont match the 2 non blue socket bonus reqs.
    Last edited by lucem; 04-06-2010 at 09:14 AM.

I'd still gem a +12 stam bonus if it only required a yellow gem and use a 10defense/15stam socket. Defense is actually more avoidance overall than dodge or agi so it's not a terrible thing to match a socket bonus too. But ya, stam stam stamity stam stam stam is the montra.

And sorry, but if you are gemming for avoidance you ARE doing it wrong as either an MT or an OT (especially since there's no substantial difference between an MT and an OT in ICC).
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Moved to HALP! forum.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Wow, thank you so much for your advice, I still have so much to learn but this is a great start for me.

+ Reply to Thread