+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to tanking, am I ready to tank raids?

New to tanking, am I ready to tank raids?

Hello everyone, I just leveled this alt to become a tank (02/04/2010), and I've spend many time gearing up for heroics and whatnot, the only advice I've had was from asking in my server, I leveled as prot since lv 55, and from lv 74-80 only did instances to level so my experience in tanking is only limited to heroics.

Now, the general advice I got was "get to the def cap, do not get def because you'll get capped from gear only, gem stam in every slot", I was also told that it's not worth to get 4pc t9 because the bonus was lacking and I should get the 75 emb helmet instead because my expertise is too low.

At the time im writting this I'm sitting with these stats..

33,441 HP Unbuffed
    553 Defense
    23.64% Dodge
    20.68% Parry
    16.12% Block
    233 Hit (7.71%)
    17 Expertise (4.25%)
    26489 Armor (63.49% Phis reduction)

This is my armory just to check items and talents.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...naros&cn=Zdail
    Now, I know my weapon is lacking an enchant, and that's my first question..
    1. Which enchant should I use? Some people tell me Mongoose is the way to go, others say Accuracy because I'm not hit capped and even others tell me to put +26 agi.
    2. Am I ready to tank Raids such as ToC 10/25? I've heard you need low40k hp buffed, and I'm already getting 41-42khp buffed in heroics.
    3. I just bought Triumph tank trinket, but I also have Essence of Gossamer, Which one is better for tanking? The extra 1.1khp from the trinket or the Armor + Dodge trinket from ToC?
    4. I know I need another cloak/ring/belt/boots, but these refuse to drop (cloak from HoR N, ring from ToC 5H, Boots from FoS H and I have no idea of which belt to get and I used my money on the chest/wrists so no ulduar crafted belt), Should I wait for them to drop or should I aim for the ToC 10 ones (if I could tank them ofc)?
    5. Since I'm just doing heroics for now, I'm using glyph of Cleaving, should I replace it with LS or SW glyphs for raids?
    6. I'm also using the 32 stam + 2% armor meta gem, for the red gem req, with my stats, should I use the Stalwart (dodge + def) or the Accurate (exp and hit) ametrine? or which other would you recommend to fit that slot?
    I'm at the office atm, I have a couple more questions but I need to go now, I'll check any answer later tonight.

Thanks in advance.

1. Blood Draining/Bladeward/Mongoose are the three to choose from for most raid tanks. In my experience, Blood Draining is the most valuable as a Prot Warrior - but any of the three is sufficient - you may find you want to switch them up after playing with one for a while.

2. Do you know the fights from your other spec/other characters? Even if you do, don't expect not to be horribly surprised by something each time.

IMO - gearwise - ToC 10 - should be - and definately once you get past Gormock. That one I've found is the toughest fight to tank as a warrior in ToC because heals can get sporadic at times. You might have a different experience - faction champions is a pain regardless.

3. I'd stick with your current trinkets - +Armor / + Sta

4. Both. Never stop trying to get better ones until you get a better one. I ran 30 FoS for the 232 tank boots, never got them, can finally stop now that I have the 232s from the Valkeries.

5. SW/LS are both good. As is Taunt for certain situations (taunt fights like Gormock in ToC). Devestate is another popular one. You'll need to get a feel for what you need in raids before you can truely find the answer to this one. What glyphs are you using right now besides Cleave?

6. Hybrid gems = Red = Dodge + Sta (imo) Yellow = Hit/Def + Sta. Always + Sta. You have plenty of hit. I do fine with about 160 hit. Even when I only had ~18 exp. If you are having threat issues, then maybe you do need more hit or exp, but you should be fine, just vig the 2nd highest threat unless it's a tank.

* You should have the +Dodge/Sta purple in your pants instead of the +30 sta - you'll activate the +9 sta bonus, plus get what you need for the meta.
    * With the purple now in your legs (to activate the +9 sta bonus and Meta) swap the orange in your boots for a +30 sta. +6 is not enough of a bonus.
    * You're missing the Eternal Belt Buckle on your belt.
    * The PvP shoulder enchants give Sta and are generally prefered - 10k honor in WG to buy.
    * Cloak should be + Armor rather than agility
    * Chest should have + Health enchant
    * When you feel comfortable with your threat, replace the +2% threat, + Parry, with the + Sta
    * You don't have professions. I'd recommend Mining/JC --> Mining gives you +60 sta at 450 (BS does the same with the two BS only sockets) but mining also gives you more stead income, plus gems through prospecting. JC gives you access to JC only Gems, - 3 +51 sta gems, for a total of 63 'bonus' sta. Plus cheaper to replace yourself.
    * + Sta on shield rather than defense --- Don't worry about losing some Def, with the +Sta/Res PvP shoulder enchant, you'll be good as long as you're above 536, which you are well above.

The reason why I'm suggesting you switch from avoidence to sta/armor/HP enchants is because you'll likely want to move into ICC soon. ICC's debuff lowers dodge by 20 percentage points, so you're going to be hit more often, so the extra Sta/Armor/HP are more valuable than avoidence.

Gems - only go away from +30 Sta if there is a +9 sta or greater benefit from each slot (so if it's a Red/Yellow to activate the bonus, you need +18 sta bonus to not put 2 +30 sta in it) you don't put a +30 sta gem in. And again, the hybrid you choose should always have +sta unless you have a glaring need for something. --- Though a good point that was made elsewhere (I think Aggothan is the one I saw make it), it may be better to swap an enchant somewhere than a gem, as you'll often be giving up less Sta for what you need.

And of course, read Aggothan's guide http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/6...ing-guide.html - lots of good info. I'm sure many of your questions can be found in there. Elitist Jerks also has a good guide for warrior tanking.
    Last edited by Loganisis; 04-05-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zdail View Post
    I know I need another cloak/ring/belt/boots, but these refuse to drop (cloak from HoR N, ring from ToC 5H, Boots from FoS H and I have no idea of which belt to get and I used my money on the chest/wrists so no ulduar crafted belt), Should I wait for them to drop or should I aim for the ToC 10 ones (if I could tank them ofc)?
    Unfortunately the only place you can find upgrades for the cloak and shield is normal Halls of Reflection, unless you want to do older raid content like ToC/Ulduar or have enough Frost badges to buy the new cloak. I'm in the same boat with the same pieces and it sucks having to wait for a queue as a tank just to get in normal HoR.

I'm in a similar position gear wise and whenever I log in to run some 5 mans I'll do my random first for frost emblems (have enough now for a belt/cloak) then run specific instances for H HOR, H FOS, H POS and H TOC or whatever you need for items, though if you have a guild or see a pug in chat Ony/Ulduar drop 232/219 respectively. Additionally most weekly raids are overgeared so you may be able to hop in as dps and pick up some tanking gear the MT/OT don't need.

Wow thanks you guys very much, I will do those changes asap, sorry if I didn't answered yesterday, this will be very helpful.
    Also
    5. SW/LS are both good. As is Taunt for certain situations (taunt fights like Gormock in ToC). Devestate is another popular one. You'll need to get a feel for what you need in raids before you can truely find the answer to this one. What glyphs are you using right now besides Cleave?
    I'm using glyph of blocking and glyph of Devastate.

Glyph of Devastate, Shield Wall and Taunt are the ideal combination for most fights in ToC. You are probably ready for ToC10, but a group isn't going to take you until you've filled out your gear a lot more. Keep running heroics to death until you're fully epiced out. Craft what you can. Buy everything possible with Emblems. Get the best enchants and epic gems for everything.

To your other questions: Mongoose, Armor trinkets is way better than blue thing and red gems should be dodge + stamina or expertise + stamina.

p.s. -3 Focused Rage, +1 Armored to the Teeth, +2 Improved Disciplines

+ Reply to Thread