+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Question about: Deep wonds in a protection build

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9

    Question about: Deep wonds in a protection build

    Can anyone produce some numbers showing why some one with an ICC 25 weapon would keep DWs in there build with the new imp rev out points are so tight i want to see some supporting reason on why to keep it in a build. thanks for your time and advise. also please include if you know it how much on avrage threat it is producing with a 1.6 ish weapon

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    777
    There are numbers here to be found if you look for them. Also, many more numbers over at ElitistJerks.

    But long story short: More Damage = More threat and Faster Boss kills. Plus it's a pretty essential AoE tanking ability.

    Though, if you find you need the points elsewhere you can easily drop it. It won't make or break you at all as a tank. What you end up speccing into totally depends on what your personal raid needs.

    Hope that helps.
    "A man can learn twice as much from milking a cat as two men can from a very tall fourth man.
    - Mark "Alec Baldwin" Twain

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,965
    the alternatives to deep wounds are generally;

    Improved Demo shout - approx. 17% less physical damage from bosses. if you have someone else putting the Atk Pwr debuff up (i.e ret pally, prot pally, bear, fury warrior. arms warrior, aff lock, BM hunter), and thats fairly likely then there is really bugger all reason for the prot warrior to take Imp demo shout.

    Improved disciplines - 2 minute shield walls are nice but i find it it a double edged sword; since we have to Glyph for this aswell, and it drops the effectiveness of the cooldowns use, while this is great on fights like saurfang as it allows a great CD rotation each time you take the boss, its really isn't worht it on some thing like festergut where 40% damage reduction just isn't as good a 60% damage reduction. in ulduar 2 minute CDs where pretty much mandatory, in ICC not so much

    Improved spell reflect - 4% less spell hits. but most boss spells aren't gonna miss anyway, and you can't reflect any of them either.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Improved Demo shout - approx. 17% less physical damage from bosses. if you have someone else putting the Atk Pwr debuff up (i.e ret pally, prot pally, bear, fury warrior. arms warrior, aff lock, BM hunter), and thats fairly likely then there is really bugger all reason for the prot warrior to take Imp demo shout.
    It's less then a 5% difference over the baseline, according to my math is in the high 4% range.

    Additionally, Any Hunter with a Carrion Bird is -575 AP, not just BM hunters.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    your moms house
    Posts
    1,619
    http://rehfeld.us/wow/tps/

    This should still work. WWS wont recognize the fight itself... but i think this program can still sift through it and come out with the correct numbers. id give it a try.

    i wish this would be updated so we could use a more popular parsing site like worldoflogs

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,930
    Since the tps parser still only works on WWS which hasn't been updated in months, I'd assume the parser doesn't have up-to-date threat multipliers either.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    the alternatives to deep wounds are generally;

    Improved disciplines - 2 minute shield walls are nice but i find it it a double edged sword; since we have to Glyph for this aswell, and it drops the effectiveness of the cooldowns use, while this is great on fights like saurfang as it allows a great CD rotation each time you take the boss, its really isn't worht it on some thing like festergut where 40% damage reduction just isn't as good a 60% damage reduction. in ulduar 2 minute CDs where pretty much mandatory, in ICC not so much
    Imp. Disicplines are optional? I thought every MT warrior would want them. I can't think of a fight [even fester] where you wouldn't want your SW to be on a 2 min CD. And more important - I can't think of anything else better to put them. [Spell reflect doesn't really worth those 2 points, I might swap the imp revange for imp. spell reflect tho.]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehama View Post
    Imp. Disicplines are optional? I thought every MT warrior would want them. I can't think of a fight [even fester] where you wouldn't want your SW to be on a 2 min CD. And more important - I can't think of anything else better to put them. [Spell reflect doesn't really worth those 2 points, I might swap the imp revange for imp. spell reflect tho.]
    You aren't going to be popping shield wall twice during the time that you're tanking Festergut and 75% will help out so much more than 40% during that burst (I've only tanked on 10m, 25m I've not paid attention to timers, but it doesn't seem that you would be able to use it twice during that burst.) Imp Spell Reflect is a PvP thing just as imp intervene and imp disarm are. That 2/4% isn't making much difference.

    Blizz designed encounters threat based on the DW build, no reason to reinvent the wheel (at least for progression raiding.)
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyWarrior View Post
    You aren't going to be popping shield wall twice during the time that you're tanking Festergut and 75% will help out so much more than 40% during that burst (I've only tanked on 10m, 25m I've not paid attention to timers, but it doesn't seem that you would be able to use it twice during that burst.) Imp Spell Reflect is a PvP thing just as imp intervene and imp disarm are. That 2/4% isn't making much difference.

    Blizz designed encounters threat based on the DW build, no reason to reinvent the wheel (at least for progression raiding.)
    I use shield wall twice on festergut. It's always nice to have a 2min shield wall. I'm pretty sure most hardmode-tanking prot warriors get imp disc 2/2 in their main spec, whether it's a deep wounds spec or an imp demo spec.
    Last edited by Dragaan; 04-04-2010 at 06:49 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    226
    If you tank Festergut first, you could use Shield Wall twice during the encounter unless your DPS is crazy high and he dies shortly after you'd have to pick him back up again.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    what about going for commanding presence if you don't have a good furry warrior to put it up

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by JAzko View Post
    what about going for commanding presence if you don't have a good furry warrior to put it up
    You start to sacrifice a lot in the Prot tree for those points in Commanding Presence. Though it can be done.

    Could try something like this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LVZGV00xZcItrx0didIzsbo

    Dropped Damage Shield but you could sub out points in Imp. Disciplines, Shield Specialization, Focused Rage, or Imp. Revenge.
    "A man can learn twice as much from milking a cat as two men can from a very tall fourth man.
    - Mark "Alec Baldwin" Twain

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenier View Post
    If you tank Festergut first, you could use Shield Wall twice during the encounter unless your DPS is crazy high and he dies shortly after you'd have to pick him back up again.
    I always tank 2nd and never paid it any mind. If I start tanking the 25m as well I'll keep that in mind.
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyWarrior View Post
    You aren't going to be popping shield wall twice during the time that you're tanking Festergut and 75% will help out so much more than 40% during that burst (I've only tanked on 10m, 25m I've not paid attention to timers, but it doesn't seem that you would be able to use it twice during that burst.) Imp Spell Reflect is a PvP thing just as imp intervene and imp disarm are. That 2/4% isn't making much difference.
    Be aware the SW is 60% reduction and only goes down to 40% with the glyph not with Improved Disciplines.

    Blizz designed encounters threat based on the DW build, no reason to reinvent the wheel (at least for progression raiding.)
    I don't believe this is true, but if you have a quote I'll stand to be corrected. Warrior TPS is based around Vigilance (which can also be glyphed) and our recent dps buffs are all increasing our threat without any nerfs so I'm not sure that Warrior threat is really a concern anyways.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    Be aware the SW is 60% reduction and only goes down to 40% with the glyph not with Improved Disciplines.
    But 4 min isn't so significant thus why it's recommended to glyph for it if you put points in it.



    I don't believe this is true, but if you have a quote I'll stand to be corrected. Warrior TPS is based around Vigilance (which can also be glyphed) and our recent dps buffs are all increasing our threat without any nerfs so I'm not sure that Warrior threat is really a concern anyways.
    I read it on tankspot from someone, I'm not sure the exact source.
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,900
    I'm just a little curious what the OP is getting at... I have 2/2 Imp. Disc.... Deep Wounds, and Imp. Revenge... what build are you using that you can't get points in all of those talents?
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    127
    An educated guess would be a build that incorporates cruelty aswell, allthough i'd wonder why.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,900
    I hate that build! lol
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    111
    Personally I've never understood DW specs, I know the reasoning but never had threat issues on my Warrior.
    I've used this spec for a long time:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LVZGV0...VbIzsGo:dbcomM

    Great survivability, high raid health.. AE and single target threat is loopy. and Vig? my taunt is never refreshed.. no-one pulls heh.
    Last edited by Vlad; 04-05-2010 at 10:46 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Personally I've never understood DW specs, I know the reasoning but never had threat issues on my Warrior.
    I've used this spec for a long time:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LVZGV0...VbIzsGo:dbcomM

    Great survivability, high raid health.. AE and single target threat is loopy. and Vig? my taunt is never refreshed.. no-one pulls heh.
    Really, if you don't stray too badly in your protection tree (is that even possible these days O.o) it really doesn't matter where you spend your points in Arms and Fury (as long as you take 5/5 Deflection). It really comes down to the talents being more or less optimal. Though, Fully Improved Demo Shout can be huge if someone else in your raid isn't bringing it.
    "A man can learn twice as much from milking a cat as two men can from a very tall fourth man.
    - Mark "Alec Baldwin" Twain

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts