+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking and using grid

Tanking and using grid

Whats up everyone. Currently im using grid to keep track of the raid when tanking, but im unsure of how to set something up on it or even if its possible. Im trying to get it so i can see when the other tank or tanks have a debuff so i know when to taunt, and it so how many stacks they have. Ive looked online and here and was unable to find anything about this specifically. If anyone could help or point me in the right direction that would be great.
    Thanks!

You need to add a custom debuff that you want displayed. The base Grid UI supports adding custom debuffs (by name, exact match). I don't remember the exact navigation for it though out of game, sorry. What you're looking for is custom debuffs though.

You could also set up the other tank as your focus target, use main tank unit frames with debuffs enabled, or use a target of target frame with debuffs enabled as alternative means of doing this.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Aliena has a stickied post on setting up Grid for healers in this forum section. It may contain a lot of excess information that you don't need but it mentions setting up raid debuffs and shows a screenshot of the navigation. There are also videos on YouTube on setting up Grid and I'm sure if you Googled it there would be several links on how to configure it.

Thanks for the help!

I prefer to have grid in as small a space as possible - which means seeing how many stacks of what the other tank has is pretty much impossible. Plus, grid doesnt always have tanks listed seperately so you're looking at finding your tank out of many others.

Target of target however works wonders. I'm thinking you want to see the stacks on Toravon or Gormok, or see the debuff appear on Saurfang. I can see that very clearly on my target of target frame which has debuffs enabled.

Depending on your unit frames you can just set your focus to only show the debuffs your focus has on them; then just set your other tank as your focus. Works great for me when I need to know when to swap. That and DBM spams all that stuff as well.
    "A man can learn twice as much from milking a cat as two men can from a very tall fourth man.
    - Mark "Alec Baldwin" Twain

I believe the addon Grid Status Raid Debuff does what you need: Grid-Status-Raid-Debuff on Curse

Quote Originally Posted by Spattznatt View Post
    I believe the addon Grid Status Raid Debuff does what you need: Grid-Status-Raid-Debuff on Curse
    The base Grid functionality supports allowing the user to specify any debuff they wish it to display. This additional plugin just provides many of the common ones. The functionality that the original poster is requesting however can be accomplished without the addition of more plugins for Grid (it would just require some conscience decision making on their part what they want shown).
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikak View Post
    Depending on your unit frames you can just set your focus to only show the debuffs your focus has on them; then just set your other tank as your focus. Works great for me when I need to know when to swap. That and DBM spams all that stuff as well.
    I do this too, it's easy to see when a debuff hits the other tank and DBM tells you how many stacks of it are there (though your unit frame addon should be able to do so as well) so that's all you need to know really.

Instead of relying on my raid frames to know that info (don't want to have to move my eyes there), I use Power Auras Classic to alert me of stacking debuffs. More specifically I have it only show after a certain amount has stacked (i.e. a symbol appears in the middle of my screen when 3 stacks of Impale is on me during the Gormok fight). No, it doesn't help in knowing how much is on the other tank(s) but that's what vent is for.

edit: and like Arikak said, DBM shows it too

Quote Originally Posted by Syltraul View Post
    Instead of relying on my raid frames to know that info (don't want to have to move my eyes there), I use Power Auras Classic to alert me of stacking debuffs. More specifically I have it only show after a certain amount has stacked (i.e. a symbol appears in the middle of my screen when 3 stacks of Impale is on me during the Gormok fight). No, it doesn't help in knowing how much is on the other tank(s) but that's what vent is for.

edit: and like Arikak said, DBM shows it too

you can use Power Auras to set up debuffs on other tanks as well.

just thought Id throw it in there since you mentioned not being able to see other tanks' status.

Well I guess I'll have to play around with it and set that up!

+ Reply to Thread