+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Defence

Defence

While I specting/searching for tanks and how high I should be getting my hit rateing. Includeing if I should gem for hit or not. I found most of the tanks I was looking at where gemming for defence. Some where hit capped others where not.

Is there a reason for gemming for defence over getting hit capped?

As a tank you really shouldn't ever need to gem or chant for hit rating. All you need is 8% and most my tanking career i've been running at 6%. Chanting gemming for defense on the other hand is only recommended if you're below cap or need to fill a spot to get a +12 stam bonus, otherwise you should gem for stam and stam/hybrids if needed.

On the other hand if you're having major threat problems and are positive your rotation is perfect you may consider gemming for hit/expertise.

Hope that helps!
    Winter is coming

Yeah that helps. I am just wondering why most tanks I've inspected have gone to 570 defence.

The tanks you were inspecting might have been wearing their 'unhittable' block sets.

Sorry I have no idea what an unhittable block set is.

The reason the tanks you are inspecting have such high defense is probably just due to the DEF equips on their gear. At high gear levels there is a ton of it built in on good items.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Yeah that's what I thought at first too. But they have specifically gemmed for defence. Most tanks know what they are doing when they are gemming/enchanting. I just didn't know there where so many ways to build gear. I'll I've known are the basic ones. Gem for Stamina or threat.

Then they are either:

A) In an unhitable set, which is used for tanking adds for the Anub encounter in ToGC 25 to mitigate as much damage as possible. Its kinda the warrior gimmick for this expansion.

B) Don't know what the hell they are doing.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Summarizing what I've read on here from those smarter than I...

Hit/Exp is typically only gemmed for if the tank has a threat problem. If you're taunts are landing on fights like Saurfang and you're not having threat issues - you're good where you're at. If taunt is missing, then look at gear/gems/chants for some hit - but you shouldn't need much. If threat is an issue, then look to EXP on gear/gems/chants as it gives more bang for the buck. But again - you probably don't need much - extra threat is like being that much faster than the slowest guy when running from a bear - once you're safely past him, it's all for show.

Typically the recommendation for gemming for Def once you're past he Def minimum is only if you want to activate a yellow socket for a +9/12 sta bonus and use the +def/+sta hybrid gem if they don't need the +hit/sta gem for the hit rating. Otherwise health and armor are considered the key stats in ICC, so gemming for Sta is considered the most valuable gemming policy.

What is the unhittable set? Doesn't sound very useful outside of a couple of specific fights though?

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post

If you're taunts are landing on fights like Saurfang and you're not having threat issues - you're good where you're at. If taunt is missing, then look at gear/gems/chants for some hit - but you shouldn't need much.
    All great information logan, but if you're a warrior you should just toss on the glyph of taunt and skip all the expensive gemming and chants
    Winter is coming

Hit/Exp is typically only gemmed for if the tank has a threat problem. If you're taunts are landing on fights like Saurfang and you're not having threat issues - you're good where you're at. If taunt is missing, then look at gear/gems/chants for some hit - but you shouldn't need much. If threat is an issue, then look to EXP on gear/gems/chants as it gives more bang for the buck. But again - you probably don't need much - extra threat is like being that much faster than the slowest guy when running from a bear - once you're safely past him, it's all for show.

Typically the recommendation for gemming for Def once you're past he Def minimum is only if you want to activate a yellow socket for a +9/12 sta bonus and use the +def/+sta hybrid gem if they don't need the +hit/sta gem for the hit rating. Otherwise health and armor are considered the key stats in ICC, so gemming for Sta is considered the most valuable gemming policy.

Never, ever, gem, enchant for + Hit or make gearing choices based on + Hit. Just take what you get in the form of equips through the natural course of upgrades. Most tanks including myself tanked heroic TOGC 10/25 with as little as 40 hit rating. It was a non-issue.

Expertise is good to have until 26 skill, however many tanks have reported doing just fine without reaching the dodge cap.

Your threat comes from:
    #1 Using your abilities properly
    #2 Your spec and glyphs
    #3 26 expertise skill (if you feel you need it)

in dead last comes hit.

What is the unhittable set? Doesn't sound very useful outside of a couple of specific fights though?
    As mentioned above this set has only 1 use. Tanking the adds (as a warrior) in the Anub encounter in ToGC 25 *heroic. It makes the damage you take trivial and allows heals to be focused on the main tank and the raid.

+ Reply to Thread