+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Names of Taunts/Taunt Debuffs

Names of Taunts/Taunt Debuffs

Ok, so I'm getting tired of tanks who don't understand that you can have threat at the beginning of a fight without a taunt, and I'm making a new SBF frame (god I love you Satrina) that will only show taunts on the current target. I'm all set up, but I don't know the names of all of the debuffs that are applied to a mob when taunted. For one thing, I don't know the names of pally or druid taunts yet (still leveling those 2 tanks). More importantly, I don't know the names of the related debuffs.

If that doesn't make sense to you, consider that when a warrior uses his Charge ability, the target is stunned. The same thing happens when the warrior uses his Intercept on the target. However, the debuff applied by Charge is "Charge Stun" whereas the debuff applied by Intercept is called "Intercept". There are a lot of other examples I'm sure, but my point is that I need to know the proper names of the debuffs applied when a Paladin or Druid taunts a target.

For those who might be interested in something like this, I'll add to this the rather (thankfully) simple information that, unless I am forgetting something, warriors apply the debuffs "Taunt" , "Mocking Blow", and "Challenging Shout" and DKs apply the debuffs "Death Grip" and "Dark Command". If I missed any, let me know.
    Last edited by Gorgol; 04-01-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Druid
    Growl
    Challenging Roar

Warrior
    Taunt
    Challenging Shout
    Mocking Blow

Paladin
    Hand of Reckoning
    Righteous Defense causes Debuff Righteous Defense (I believe)

Death Knight
    Dark Command
    Death Grip causes Debuff Death Grip (I believe)

Hunter
    Distracting Shot
    Hunter Pet
    Taunt

All taunt type mechanics have a debuff with the same spell id and name except for Death Grip and Righteous Defense. I believe the links I provided for them above are correct however. Because these abilities activate complex server side scripting (the movement of Death Grip and the deriving of targets of Righteous Defense) the debuff portion of the ability is separate from the ability itself. All other taunts since they directly act on the unit effected on them are the same as the debuff they apply. If you reference them by their name it doesn't matter, if you reference them by spell id however you will have to account for the difference in those two cases.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 04-01-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: corrected Death Grip and Righteous Defense
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Although this isn't terribly useful after about level... I dunno, 30, Warlock voidwalkers also have a taunt ability of some sort.

VW can't taunt. Torment/Suffering are just high threat abilities.

I believe Spirit Wolves also have a taunt ability.

Quote Originally Posted by bling581 View Post
    I believe Spirit Wolves also have a taunt ability.
    Forgot that one, thanks.

Shaman (Enhancement) Spirit Wolf
    Twin Howl

I am uncertain what the debuff is caused by Army of the Dead taunts. Voidwalker from a Warlock has high threat attacks but no actual taunt. Hunter pets high threat attacks but only the actual "Taunt" ability documented above (Tenacity pets) is a functional taunt. I am uncertain of the aggro mechanics of a Shaman's Earth Elemental and if it has a functional taunt or just high threat abilities.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Tricks of the Trade, Rogues

Tricks is a threat generating ability like Misdirect, but I'm pretty sure it's not a taunt.

As for AotD, I'll have to pay more attention but I don't ever recall seeing an actual taunt debuff generated by them. Also it doesn't seem to have a DR since they taunt for their entire duration. Perhaps it's classified as a fixate and not an actual taunt?

Even if Army of the Dead doesn't use an actual taunt and just a Fixate effect I think what the original poster is trying to accomplish they will still want to display that information as it would be useful, for example on Rotface when some Death Noob forgets they aren't supposed to use Army of the Dead at any point except before the pull otherwise it screws up the Big Ooze. Functionally, it serves a similar purpose, if they were the kiting tank it would be useful to know, hey something intentionally took aggro from me and if it happens to be Army they should simply save their actual taunt until the army is dead because they have little chance of actually regaining aggro during it so don't waste the cooldown.

Isnt mocking blow a fixate instead of a taunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerafyrm View Post
    Isnt mocking blow a fixate instead of a taunt?
    Yes. It was included in the original posters list so I was operating under the assumption they wanted both functional taunts and fixate effects.

Thanks for the information. As for Mocking Blow, I only mentioned it b/c it is a functional taunt. I probably won't add it to my taunt monitoring SBF frame, as I'm more interested in just seeing when a tank has taunted, and any tank that I know who uses mocking blow is doing so b/c his taunt already missed and he's stance dancing to get off a mocking blow b/c he is supposed to be grabbing aggro. Though unnecessary, I appreciate all the extra information.

Mocking blow can be used in defensive stance now and is no longer a taunt, it is now a fixate effect with a high threat modifier.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

AoTD cannot 'taunt' a raid boss. Only trash mobs/heroic bosses.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    AoTD cannot 'taunt' a raid boss. Only trash mobs/heroic bosses.
    While true, what they can and can not pull aggro on is irrelevent to the subject. Something applies a debuff to a target which involves aggro changing... that's what matters. Like I said in the example when I mentiond AotD, they could pull aggro on a Big Ooze on Rotface for example. Just because they can't pull aggro on the raid boss, doesn't mean a tank who wants to monitor aggro altering debuffs will want to ignore this. Tanks don't just tank raid bosses, you'd have a hard time with trash if they did or bosses that spawn adds.

+ Reply to Thread