+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prot Warrior glyphs in 3.3.3

Prot Warrior glyphs in 3.3.3

I'm the MT (prot warrior) in a casual raiding guild (currently 9/12 in 10man ICC) and I have a question regarding glyphs in 3.3.3. Currently, I'm running with glyphs of Blocking, Devastate, and Revenge (loving this since the Revenge changes in 3.3), but I wanted to incorporate Glyph of Shield Wall in there instead. Which glyph should I drop? Is there another glyph that I'm not considering that should be in the conversation?

Spec: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZVItrx0didczsGo

Drop revenge, when your tanking bosses your getting smashed in the face so hard your rage is through the roof, thus wasting the need for the revenge glyph.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

That and if you are wanting threat there are far better threat glyphs than revenge, I'd take vigilance over revenge if you need threat, but since you have the devastate glyph you probably don't need threat. I have it outlined in my guide, but basically last stand/blocking/shield wall are the best survival glyphs. If you want to switch in something like taunt or devastate, then switch out glyph of blocking unless it's a fight where you can only shield wall once or will only need shield wall once, then drop shield wall for something. Or last stand I guess, depending on. I actually like the last stand glyph more than shield wall since it has a lower cooldown and no negative effects, but that also comes down to playstyle (last stand is my go-to "OH F!@#" button).
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

blocking is mediocre, and does glyph of revenge still just give you 1 free HS? in a raid situation you'll either be swimming in rage, or not, if you're swimming, a free HS just means more time you're at 100 rage, if you're not swimming in it, you'd be prioritizing getting more gcd abilities out anyways rather than try to work in a HS (low threat move! high risk!) after a revenge lands.

Devastate/Last Stand/Shield Wall never look back, swap out devastate or last stand for glyph of taunt on taunt sensitive fights.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

To be honest Ive never really seen a fight where a 2 min shield wall was needed other than blood queen. I would use it every air phase to reduce blood bolt damage so our healers could focus on keeping the DPS up.

I would agree that Blocking falls short these days.

Thinking on this I need to change some glyphs up...
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    That and if you are wanting threat there are far better threat glyphs than revenge, I'd take vigilance over revenge if you need threat, but since you have the devastate glyph you probably don't need threat. I have it outlined in my guide, but basically last stand/blocking/shield wall are the best survival glyphs. If you want to switch in something like taunt or devastate, then switch out glyph of blocking unless it's a fight where you can only shield wall once or will only need shield wall once, then drop shield wall for something. Or last stand I guess, depending on. I actually like the last stand glyph more than shield wall since it has a lower cooldown and no negative effects, but that also comes down to playstyle (last stand is my go-to "OH F!@#" button).
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Glyphed shield wall is my default panic button. I don't like how the last stand glyph breaks the synergy last stand naturally has with enraged regen. Now if the last stand glyph kept the normal cooldown but added an ardent defender or wotn style effect, I'd be all over it.

This all comes down to cooldown philosophy really. I'm of the strong opinion that major cooldowns (shield wall, last stand) should typically have 2 minute cooldowns and that lesser cooldowns (shield block, avoidance clickies, etc.) should be 1 minute or less. The majors are your ohsit buttons, the minors used to smooth out regular damage intake. Cooldowns should always be active. These lazy the game procs it for you cooldowns have got to go.

yeah i hit shield wall all the time, sometime son overpulled trash, often when healers get hit by something they shouldn't, or just when i notice my hp dipping i just pop it unless i know i need to save it for something during the fight. If it's gonna help me survive/healers job why the hell not. and with it being 2 minutes, i can pop it early in the fight, and again near the end, and on longer fights like LK, i can use it constantly.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

i think the sheldwall glyph is awesome, theres some fights when I pop shield wall right off the bat to give my healers a chance to get situated or wake up, which ever is the case. Last Stand/Shield wall with blocking/dev/taunt/cleave being mainly what i rotate in the 3rd slot

Quote Originally Posted by mistersix View Post
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Glyphed shield wall is my default panic button. I don't like how the last stand glyph breaks the synergy last stand naturally has with enraged regen. Now if the last stand glyph kept the normal cooldown but added an ardent defender or wotn style effect, I'd be all over it.

This all comes down to cooldown philosophy really. I'm of the strong opinion that major cooldowns (shield wall, last stand) should typically have 2 minute cooldowns and that lesser cooldowns (shield block, avoidance clickies, etc.) should be 1 minute or less. The majors are your ohsit buttons, the minors used to smooth out regular damage intake. Cooldowns should always be active. These lazy the game procs it for you cooldowns have got to go.
    While I agree that enraged regen is used best with last stand, I felt it also completely unnecessary when you have last stand up. I use enraged regen either in conjunction with a trinket or with like health stone or something. It makes it so I basically have 4 very effective oh shit buttons, shield block, last stand, shield wall, and trinket+enraged regen (and by trinket I mean Satrina's/Jug's Vit).
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

The glyphs I use are:

Shield wall
    Last stand
    Devastate

On boss fights where taunt can make or break, I will bring extra glyphs of Taunt and Devastate. I swap Dev to Taunt and when it's over I swap back. I forget where I learned this but It is very handy, glyphs are very cheap on my server as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    To be honest Ive never really seen a fight where a 2 min shield wall was needed other than blood queen. I would use it every air phase to reduce blood bolt damage so our healers could focus on keeping the DPS up.

I would agree that Blocking falls short these days.

Thinking on this I need to change some glyphs up...
    where you need 2min shieldwall on bloodqueen Oo

i like the 2min shieldwall on arthas and some hardmodes and don't want to miss it
    German guy, speaking bad english :/

All good posts - I'll probably go Shield Wall, Last Stand and Devastate, bringing along some extra glyphs of Taunt and Devastate for swapping in that last spot. Like someone said, major glyphs are dirt cheap, so I can afford to take extras in case Taunt becomes critical.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    While I agree that enraged regen is used best with last stand, I felt it also completely unnecessary when you have last stand up. I use enraged regen either in conjunction with a trinket or with like health stone or something. It makes it so I basically have 4 very effective oh shit buttons, shield block, last stand, shield wall, and trinket+enraged regen (and by trinket I mean Satrina's/Jug's Vit).
    I wouldn't really call shield block an oh shit button personally. I tend to use last stand with enraged, shield wall, trinket 1, trinket 2

Shield wall, last stand and devastate. Enraged regen also seems like a flavorful glyph when you're rocking 100k hp with stand + trinkets up.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersix View Post
    I wouldn't really call shield block an oh shit button personally. I tend to use last stand with enraged, shield wall, trinket 1, trinket 2
    Shield block can block up to 8k damage when up for me. Against a boss that hits for 20k, that's equivalent to a shield wall. It translates to an overall like 32% reduction in damage taken or something like that. I figured the exact number once but I forgot. Point is shield block is a REALLY good damage stopping button and is a go-to damage reducer for me. Do NOT underestimate it.

I think we're saying the same thing really. Those 20k hits are the basically the baseline melee swings not the special ability "tank killers".

It's still a cooldown that's better than barksin imo. If you use it preemptively to mitigate normal damage then tank killers aren't that bad, and further more in ICC there aren't a lot of bosses that do tank killer abilities, they just hit REALLY REALLY REALLY hard and knowing when to effectively use shield block will both significantly decrease your damage intake and save your life. A healer would much rather you get hit for 20k than 28k+, trust me (see: H-Blood Princes damage, they hit really hard).

Shield Block completely saved my skin last night on our Festergut heroic10. He hits EXTREMELY hard even at one or two inhales. And when you know your going to take a larger hit then you had previously (right as he does his second inhale), Shield block is a great "lesser cooldown" to use to if you don't quite need to blow LS or SW yet, but just need a little extra breathing room, but in our working through hardmodes i've started to see how useful it is.

LDW/Gunship/Dreamwlker I use Dev/Cleave/Sunder because they are AoE intensive fights and it makes life that much easier in keeping threat on the mobs.

Everything else I do Dev/SW/Taunt. 2 minute SWs are money in my books for hard modes. I don't glyph LS because as someone said before with the lost synergy of ER when you do that.

For heroics I do Dev/Cleave/Sunder.

I use 1 tanking spec now instead of 2 and just swap around my glyphs as needed. This lets me PvP when I'm bored, yay!

I don't care much about the synergy between LS and ER. LS is an awesome cooldown without having to use ER with it and I feel like i'm punishing my self by letting it have an extra minute cooldown just so I can us ER with it. Alot can happen in a minute, especially in the high burst content we have now.

+ Reply to Thread