+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help me find a different veiw port addon ...

Help me find a different veiw port addon ...

Im looking for a view port addon with a difference. Every single view port addon I have tried has one fundamental failing as far as how I control my UI. Mouse will does not work if it leaves the viewing area of my toon. I love what view port addons do as far as my screen shape and size. I can not live with my mouse wheel failing sometimes. I use my mouse wheel to scroll up and down in my action bars giving me access to all 6 action bars with a natural movement of my mouse wheel which in short gives me 6 times as many abilities with in finger reach. However view port addons are useless unless you have black space and my mouse wheel for some reason fails in this black space. Im working on the assumption is it trying to send a command to the view port addon to do whatever it is expecting to do when I scroll my mouse wheel over it (which is nothing and it does it really well). What Im looking for is one that will continue my normal mouse wheel action in WoW (adjust action bars up and down) when I scroll my mouse wheel.

Does anyone know of a view port addon that does this, at my 5th one and still searching, I also know Im not the only one who has noticed this issue.

CT_Viewport, maybe? Works great for me.

Have you tried Viewporter?

Interesting. I've used several viewport addons (currently using CT_Viewport) and never had a problem with my mouse wheel not working. Sometimes, I actually wish it wouldn't work as I'll accidentally switch pages on my action bar.

The only problem I've ever had with viewport addons is on my Mac. Sometimes instead of being black it'll pick up a surrounding color. Dal is especially painful, as my viewport color ends up switching between various shades of pink and light blue.

A view port simply resizes the WorldFrame, it does not alter key bindings in anyway. The mouse functions are controled by the keybindings and the element the mouse is currently interacting with, you must have a different addon which is messing with your keybindings. In this particular case I'd say the likely party would be your bar mod is disabling the swaping of the action bars with the mouse wheel. I believe you are blaming the wrong addon for your issue. A view port should not alter the functionality of any element which operates on the UI layer, it should only alter the dimensions of the WorldFrame.

Please provide a complete list of your addons if you want help diagnosing the real problem.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Just to let you know I have a reasonable computer knowledge I did computer science for two years at university level.
    I am reasonably sure that the problem is the view port addons combined with wow.
    Ok a quick run down of the macros I use. Quarts, power auras, DBM, recount and bag non.
    How ever the problem persists when I disable all other addons.

My mouse wheel is bound to previous action bar and next action bar for scroll up and down. Which works perfectly in the normal viewable area. How ever as soon as the mouse crosses the line of viewable area to the blacked off area it stops functioning. Shift up arrow still functions to shift action bars. Shift + 1 Still functions to bring me back to number 1 action bar. For some reason my mouse wheels "button clicks" do not send their command. As I said I suspect this is behaving similar to other addons when you mouse over the addon mouse wheel will then switch to scroll wheel if they have a scroll bar.

Recount is a prime example of this if there are enough people in the list to create a scroll bar then my mouse wheel will act as a scroll bar. If there is not then it will continue to function my action bars as if it was over the top of normal view of wow.

The thing that has me confused is why for a view port addon the scroll wheel is not behaving as normal. Unless there is something I am clearly missing about how view ports behave.
    On other side notes I run Wow in a windowed mode. I use a logitech G5 mouse.

Also all above view port addons used and fail.

CBH Viewport is decent, I've been using it for about 5 months now with no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I use SunnArt and have no problems with it.

I use skinner and have disabled everything except the viewport function....works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Drork View Post
    Just to let you know I have a reasonable computer knowledge I did computer science for two years at university level.
    I am reasonably sure that the problem is the view port addons combined with wow.
    Ok a quick run down of the macros I use. Quarts, power auras, DBM, recount and bag non.
    How ever the problem persists when I disable all other addons.
    Background isn't all that important, just because you believe you are more technically knowledgable than others doesn't change the fact that you are human and still make mistakes. You came here to seek advice from people with more experience in the particular field.

Keybindings and how they function work independent addons. Addons can alter them and the alterations can persist even if the addon is disabled depending on the particular bindings and addons involved.

Second, that is not a full list of the addons in question. Functionally, it can't be because you neglected to mention at least the view port addon you are using. I'm willing to bet there are further UI customizations as well, for example you aren't verly likely to use a view port and still use standard action bars. Please provide a complete list of the addons you are running.

A view port functions by altering the dimensions of the WorldFrame frame. Keybindings which require use of the world frame or it's child elements would still require the cursor be acting on the WorldFrame. For example, you can't use mouse movement if you aren't clicking on the WorldFrame because those actions only function if you click the frame, right clicking something else like a menu results in a different function. Functionally, if the Shift + Mouse Wheel keybinding only functionally changes the action bar page while the mouse is over the WorldFrame then what you are trying to accomplish is fundamentally impossible anyway because regardless of the binding, the function isn't being executed if the cursor is not over the proper element for it to act on. When you have multiple browser windows open side by side, click on one so it is the active window. Move your mouse over the other window and use the mouse scroll... nothing happens. The simultaneous Key Press and Key Release actions triggered by the mouse device's scrolling action also require that the mouse pointer be over the element that action is to be performed on. So if the paging of the action bar for example requires your mouse to be over the WorldFrame, you can never trigger that keybinding if your mouse is over nothing. I do not believe this is the case, however I haven't actually used action bars that I would scroll through in ages, have had action bars necessary visible at all times.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

In order to reiterate...

You are either...
    1. Running a different addon you aren't listing which is altering the functionality.
    or
    2. Attempting to execute an action on a null element. Scrolling has no function if it isn't acting on something.

A keybinding using the keyboard operates irrelevant to the mouse cursor. However, a keybinding using the mouse can not. The mouse wheel is two buttons (three if it has a button press as well). When the scrolling is used the hardware simultaneously sends both Key Press and Key Release interrupts for that particular key (similar to you pressing a button on the keyboards and then manually releasing it). However in the case of the mouse, it also has to know where the mouse is. Like in the example posted above where you have two browser windows open and try to scroll while the mouse isn't over the active window it does nothing. That's because the operating system knows that the mouse isn't over the active application window and therefor doesn't understand where to send the interrupt. A keyboard keybinding however will always act on the active window, irrelevant to where the cursor is. Right now typing this response, my mouse isn't anywhere over the brower window I'm typing in.

Firstly the reason for giving my background in computers is the same reason I give it if I ever have to call a computer company for tech support, so they are able to talk in useful terminology and dont have to use the "user friendly" talk of a microsoft paper clip. Yes I am here for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    Second, that is not a full list of the addons in question. Functionally, it can't be because you neglected to mention at least the view port addon you are using. I'm willing to bet there are further UI customizations as well, for example you aren't verly likely to use a view port and still use standard action bars. Please provide a complete list of the addons you are running.
    I am not currently running a view port as all viewport addons fail in my functionality. Some of the ones I have used are skinner, CT viewport, viewporter and CBH viewport all behave the same. Im working from the ground up with my UI if I cant get a base to work from Im not going to dump extra things on top of it.

Sadly I think your second conclusion is correct the black part of the view port is considered a null element and is not accepting the scroll wheel clicks. I am yet to find a view port addon that will pass on scroll wheel clicks from its "black" element to the viewable window and thus activate the key binding.

I thought for a moment I might have had a solution how ever my mouse setpoint program (windows logitech mouse running program) will not let me change my mousewheel scroll up scroll down to keyboard presses like I have done for my push left and right on my mousewheel to action my actionbars.

Thanks for your help Quinafoi it was useful. However it does seem like there is no addon out there to do what I want it to do. I guess the way to fix it would be to have the addon receive the information in the null section and pass it on to wow. Time to start talking to some viewport creators.

The view ports do not fail in their functionality, you are attempting to do something that is functionally impossible. I just verified it. The Shift + Mouse Wheel paging of the action bar operates only on the WorldFrame object. It doesn't function off of the WorldFrame because that functionality is bound to it, it checks to varify the highest frame your mouse is over that has a function bound to the Mouse Wheel. If you happen to hover over the minimap, it will override with the minimap zoom function because the minimap is on a higher UI level than the WorldFrame. If you hover over say your player unit frame and it is over the WorldFrame, unless you have some action bound to mouse wheel that could act on yourself, it will resolve to the frame behind that which is the WorldFrame and execute the action bar paging function. When you attempt to operate this functionality over a viewported region of the screen, regardless of the UI element you may be over (even if it is the action bar itself) it will never resolve the function of the mouse wheel to be action bar paging because that binding is only set on the WorldFrame element and your mouse is now off of the WorldFrame.

So to answer your question, what you want to accomplish is actually not functionally possible unless you build your own custom UI frames that were to span the entire view ported region and create a custom keybinding of your own where the Shift + Mouse Wheel operating on your custom frame would result in action bar paging events. I do not know of any view port addons which actually create custom frames to mimic WorldFrame bindings on the non-WorldFrame parts of the screen. This is largely due to the fact that the vast majority of people who use view port addons do it with customized bars as well and simply have everything they require showing and don't need to do the paging between bars 1-6.

+ Reply to Thread