+ Reply to Thread

Thread: healbot vs. grid vs. ?

healbot vs. grid vs. ?

I've been using healbot for a couple of months now, and it's fine, it does what I need most of the time (sometimes it's a little buggy and I'm not sure why.) but I've heard there are other healing addons that may be better. what addon do you use for healing, and why do you prefer it over the others? thanks for the advice!

Clique+Grid. Grid is a unitframe mod that many healers like, as it is highly configurable, able to display debuff and HoT timers and so on. Clique is a mod that allows you to cast-click on frames, much as healbot allows you to do. I haven't tried it, but I do know that Grid in particular can require more than a little configuration to get it exactly the way you'd like it. But it is extremely configurable. I believe Aliena uses Grid (but not Clique) and even has a tutorial somewhere around here that explains how to configure it.

VuhDo is remarkably similar to Healbot; you can in fact set it up so it looks and functions identically. It does however have several additional features which I feel makes it better than Healbot. It displays debuffs + timers for boss special abilities, allowing you to more easily see who has been affected by what boss ability. If you are a priest, it also displays the weakened soul debuff + timer, making it much easier to see who can be bubbled and who cannot, especially useful when working with more than one priest. It also has a wider variety of display options for HoT timers and so forth. You can also set up macros through it, and a few other features which I will leave out to avoid a wall of text. I should mention there is also a VuhDo tutorial somewhere in the healing forums as well.

As for myself, I used Healbot for about 2.5 years, then recently switched to VuhDo, and haven't looked back.
    Last edited by Bashal; 03-31-2010 at 08:25 AM.

I use grid &Clique on my Shammy. It works well for what I heal. About Vuhdo does it do click to cast or do you have to use Clique with it as well?

Quote Originally Posted by kallen View Post
    I use grid &Clique on my Shammy. It works well for what I heal. About Vuhdo does it do click to cast or do you have to use Clique with it as well?
    You dont need clique.
    It got click casting and a raid frame ( All in one )

VuhDo is excellent!

Yes, it has "Clique" built right into it, or you can assign normal keybinds or both.

well, I installed VuhDo last night to try it out. I've only run one heroic and am still getting used to my whole new UI, but I like it so far. but one question: is this the addon that's announcing my trinket use in party chat? or is it more likely to be one of the other six I installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    well, I installed VuhDo last night to try it out. I've only run one heroic and am still getting used to my whole new UI, but I like it so far. but one question: is this the addon that's announcing my trinket use in party chat? or is it more likely to be one of the other six I installed?
    I'm pretty sure that isn't VuhDo. VuhDo has a setting to auto-trigger your trinkets (which can be turned off if you want to manage that manually), but I've never seen it spam that information in chat.

It has some trinket options but I've never used them. What healing class are you? For Druids I would suggest turning off the auto res options because it will automatically blow your battle res if someone died. It took me a few days to figure out why my Rebirth was always going on CD.

I'm a holy priest, so auto-rez isn't a problem. I went looking through the trinket options but didn't see anything about announcing use. hmmm. dbm didn't seem to have that as an option either. I'll have to keep looking.

thanks for all the advice

As I am the main tank of my guild i dont use a healing addon and right now the guild has been having issues with healers not showing up i am a druid and was wondering witch addon would be better when i have to heal for icc as a raid healer i have never used a healing addon before the only thing i use for resto atm is decursive what would you guys recomind as the easyest to use for bieginners for a healing addon?

Quote Originally Posted by Bft View Post
    As I am the main tank of my guild i dont use a healing addon and right now the guild has been having issues with healers not showing up i am a druid and was wondering witch addon would be better when i have to heal for icc as a raid healer i have never used a healing addon before the only thing i use for resto atm is decursive what would you guys recomind as the easyest to use for bieginners for a healing addon?
    Definitely not healbot. Druid healers seem to hate it, and it's likely because it doesn't do well displaying HoT timers. It tracks them, but tends to cover up the health bar while doing so, which is bad. :P

VuhDo would be better, but I believe most Druid healers (that I have run across, anyway) prefer Grid + mouseover macros or Grid+Clique, or a combination of the two.

So to sum up: Grid with or without clique, or VuhDo would be what I suggest.

I don't honestly think that any of the addons are really "easiest to use", though. But there's tutorials here that can help you set them up. Once set up, any of them are fairly straightforward to use -- they'd better be, or you can't heal very effectively.
    Last edited by Bashal; 04-05-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bft View Post
    I'm Resto and I think VuhDo is a very nice addon for Druids and easier to setup than Grid. Imo, a healing addon that displays your hots is necessary for a Druid to maximize your healing. I used to use X-Perl, which didn't show individual hots, and I would waste time targeting people just to find they already had a Rejuv when I could've been hotting up someone else. I would suggest though to download both VuhDo and Grid, then decide after you get them setup which one you like the most. I already said it in an above post, but since you're a Resto Druid make sure you turn off VuhDo's auto battle res option

No offence, but punctuation goes along way, had serious breathingproblems reading your "line"...

As for sticking to the topic, I myself am using Grid, though without Clique, and it's working wonders for me. I found it easier to set up than VuhDo, though I honestly didn't put too much heart into it when I first tried it, as I was too accustomed to Grid.
    Go with whatever you feel most comfortable with and can show whatever information in way you can react best to. It's not the addon which makes you godlike on the healingmeters, though they do of course help...
    Last edited by Isolde; 04-06-2010 at 02:25 PM.

Do Pitbull, SUF, OUF, etc built-in raid frames offer anywhere near the functionality that Vuhdoo, Healbot and other dedicated raid frames do for healing? Or do you pretty much have to go with specialized healing raid frames to maximize your healing abilities?

I am an avid supporter of Vuhdo.

I am one of the primary tanks for my guild and I also raid heal.

The perks of Vuhdo are:

1. Works great out of the box. (especially as far as boss-specific debuffs like bone spike are concerned)
    2. Very customizable. (awesome display for hots, except WG; shows grouping for WG targeting; aesthetically dynamic - you can make it fit your UI no matter what it looks like)
    3. Remembers click configurations for Primary or Secondary specs and switches automatically (for example, I have click-casting turned off on my resto spec, and have innervate bout to right click and rebirth bound to alt-right click in feral).

There are other things that make it so awesome, but really I think these three are the most important.
    Last edited by Terpene; 04-06-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    Do Pitbull, SUF, OUF, etc built-in raid frames offer anywhere near the functionality that Vuhdoo, Healbot and other dedicated raid frames do for healing? Or do you pretty much have to go with specialized healing raid frames to maximize your healing abilities?
    As I have only given those mods a cursory glance, I can't answer definitively. As an educated guess, I'll say this:

Most raid frame addons can probably be configured, sometimes with additional addons, to help you do the healing gig just fine.

Raid frame addons that were designed more with healing in mind will probably require less tweaking to get you up and running.

I've been using VuhDo for a week or two now, and I like it better than healbot; it's more customizable and let's me split up various groups according to my own preferences and not some random configuration. also the ability to separate the tank and focus frames from the raid frames from the pet frames and move them all around my screen is nice. the only downside so far is I haven't figured out how to get it to show me the actual spell icons for hots and debuffs. sure it's nice to know that player x has a magic debuff that I can dispell, but it would be nice also to see what that debuff was so I could decide if it's worth the mana/gcd to dispell it. does anyone know how to set this up? thanks!

To turn on the icons go to the Panels tab, then on the right side select HoT Icons. On the bottom left corner there should be a few options, make sure that "Icons" is selected as your option.

+ Reply to Thread