+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To Disc, or not to Disc

To Disc, or not to Disc

I'm a Priest who has stayed within the soft, cosy confines of Holy healing, but lately my mind has wandered to the idea of Discipline healing. I took it as my off-spec, replacing my shadow dps spec, but I love dps'ing too much so I switched back. In my experiences of Disc healing, it seems a lot more fun than Holy healing (maybe because of the novelty, I'm not sure). Now I'm finding myself asking if it might be a good choice to swap out my Holy healing spec for a Disc healing spec.
    In my guild, there's no other healing Priests, a few MS shadow but that's it. I'm more often than not running with Pally healers. Would it be worthwhile going Disc and relying on my Prayer of Healing and Prayer of Mending to raid heal when needed or should I stay with my holy spec and hope for some Holy Priests to allow me to go Disc?
    "100% of shots you don't take don't go in."
    - Wayne Gretzky

This question is incumbent on a whole bunch of variables:

What content is your guild running? Are you attempting LK? Is it 10s or 25s?
    Fun is relative. What do you consider to be fun?
    Do you run with trees? How many?

I would suggest reading the holy and disc guides to get an idea how each work as well.

No other priest heals and generally no other paladin healers? Sounds like Disc tank healer would fit. However, you should really do what YOU want to do. If you enjoy playing disc and want a change, try it out in some heroics, maybe a raid or to and get a feel for it. Do what spiritus said and check some guides too, look at what your raid uses you for (tank or raid healing) and then make a decision based on everything.

For 10 man content, I'm partial to Disc myself, it is a very potent spec in the smaller content.

In 10 mans Disc can really shine. You can bubble the raid with ease and the versatility of that spec comes into play.

In 25mans you usually are either dedicated tank healer or you are on melee duty or any other special needs raid member. Truth being told, for Saurfang/25 I think Holy is better since depending on the number of marks you get pure healing output is win.

I really hate the Grace mechanics. It's more limiting than helpful.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

As Spiritus said it really depends on your guilds situation, for 10 man ICC 3 healers are needed in later content 1x tank healer 2x raid healers Disc can fill the roll of one of the raid healers but a setup of disc MT healer / Druid + shaman raid healers would be ideal.

Disc just like Hpally can support the raid healers while spamming away on the tanks with beacon priests can bubble, PoM, flash and penance, But in my experience as a Disc priest doing raid healer with a 3 healer setup Shaman MTH / disc druid on raid I found my aoe spells to be ineffective in situations where at least 6 or more people are losing constant health the tanks on the other hand get more healing then they would ever need.

Also I do not believe a Hpally + disc in a two healer setup will work for the same reason as Disc on raid above failed for me, we are good at preventing damage and quick healing single targets but when poop hits the fan I my self find it hard to keep everyone up.

With all that said I have my priest setup as a standard tank healing spec with a few tweaks to gear, talents and glyphs my aoe worries could go away though I have not personally tried changing anything.
    Last edited by CoolNitro; 03-31-2010 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    "What content is your guild running? Are you attempting LK? Is it 10s or 25s?"
    We're progressing in ICC10/25, so far we're 6/12 in 10 and 3/12 in 25.
    "Fun is relative. What do you consider to be fun?"
    I just like the idea of all the cool buffs, like Power Infusion, not to mention I've been Holy healing since I hit 80 so it gets boring sometimes :P
    "Do you run with trees? How many?"
    No trees, for our 10 mans 9 times out of 10 I'll be with a Holy Paladin, and for 25 mans, it's usually 2 Holy Paladins & 2 Resto Shammy's.
    - Wayne Gretzky

Above all, you should do what you enjoy the most.

However, from a synergy perspective, I would stay holy. x2pala & x2sham is a lot of direct healing going around. Bringing a solid HoT in Renew will bode well for future progression in both 10s and 25s.

I think I'll stay holy until such times as there's more raid healers about.
    Thanks for the advice
    - Wayne Gretzky

+ Reply to Thread