+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick priest question

Quick priest question

Just wondering, does casting Power Word: Shield on a druid tank affect the way they are able to hold aggro? I was healing a 5 man heroic and I had the druid ask me not to cast PWS on them, being new to priest healing I followed. It made me wonder if I've been doing this all wrong by using PWS on the tanks?

No, no and no. In fact, it GIVES them more rage when it disappears. They fixed rage generation with Power Word: Shield though, so it doesn't stop rage generation either. Tell them. If they are belligerent, find another heroic or let them drop.

Okay, that's what I though. Thanks for the quick reply. My thinking is that it would also affect DK tanks and Warriors, but none of them said anything, plus I can see them build rage.

/cast big shield!!!!

The only class you would want to *not* shield is over-geared prot paladins. Their mana gain mechanic comes from being healed and their alternative mana regen abilities won't be enough on their own.

You can shield a prot paladin, if they know how to use divine plea the right way. If they don't, you'll mana starve them and it'll become very apparant that they are having issues.

The problem with Divine Plea in a heroic is that you're not always able to keep hitting, unless you're chain pulling, making it difficult to keep up. What is this "right" way that you speak of? I don't tank on my Paladin, but it would be good to know, regardless.

The tanks I run with all chain pull for the most part til the boss, then obviously they stop to fight him, but otherwise its a marathon the entire time. I am constantly keeping the tank bubbled. I don't know if all tanks do this, but I know the ones that I have run with or seen in pugs, try to keep it up as much as possible, attacking all of the poor little rodents wandering around when there is no mobs immediately available. It is also them being smart on which taunts and attacks to use when they do get low on mana.
    I realize new tanks may not chain pull, if they aren't, it may be wise to adjust how often you are bubbling them so you don't end up mana starving them.
    Personally, I've only mana starved 2 prot paladin's, both were decently geared. Not sure if they just weren't paying attention to keeping up divine plea or not used to running with a disc priest.

I chain pull from time to time. However, even as Frost (I'm a DK) sometimes the snap aggro just isn't enough when DPS are just chomping at the bit and attacking before I can get my threat off. Some groups can handle it and some can't. It's a bit easier when you have a shield too, heroics are the one place where block makes certain tanks feel godly. But not me

I have both a Disc Priest and a Prot Pally. Mana management is not that hard, drop Consecrate from your rotation when it's not necessary and maybe stop and drink for 5-6 seconds before a boss fight, problem solved. Don't let the tank blame you because they can't manage (fairly simple) class mechanics. Besides, SA doesn't return much mana in a 5-man because of how little damage you take - look at the "Mana Gained" tab on Recount for a 5-man, you'll see that Divine Plea and BoSanc are both higher by a large margin.

It's a bit easier when you have a shield too, heroics are the one place where block makes certain tanks feel godly. But not me
    Meh, I have a DK and a Warrior in similar tanking gear and I don't notice much difference in damage taken. Now my overgeared pally with Seal of Command, that's another story.

As someone having 2 healers and 4 tanks doing daily heroics, DKs are imo the ones taking the most damage (next up Druids followed shortly by Paladin & Warrior).
    It just means that I can actually heal once in a while though, I always get complains from Mages in heroics that I'm not critting the overgeared Paladin enough because he simply doesn't take damage for me to heal!

Edit: To clarify, the most does not mean unmanagable more! It is just noticable that they don't have a shield mechanic, especially in heroics with lots of melee doing fast, small hits. In an instances like OK there is virtually no difference to be seen, while in UK/UP the difference is the biggest.
    Last edited by Airowird; 04-04-2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post
    Meh, I have a DK and a Warrior in similar tanking gear and I don't notice much difference in damage taken. Now my overgeared pally with Seal of Command, that's another story.
    Well, without knowing the levels of gear, I would admit that at lower levels of gear, they won't seem much different. My DK is vastly overgeared for heroics though, an equally geared Warrior or Paladin will take vastly less damage than me pulling at the same pace, even with efficient use of my CDs. It's just something I've accepted about my class, it's not like I suffer. I even downed General in H. HoL when the first thing he did in the fight was KO the Paladin healer (who decided to Beacon me right as the General aggroed, and the General found the narrowest strip of non-DnD ground to run by and hit him), so, I've certainly got my moments of glory. I also soloed the last phase of the Black Knight once early on right after 3.2 was released when the healer and everyone else died. The dps was low so he was still about 80% when I was the only one standing and he still died.

As someone having 2 healers and 4 tanks doing daily heroics, DKs are imo the ones taking the most damage (next up Druids followed shortly by Paladin & Warrior).
    It just means that I can actually heal once in a while though, I always get complains from Mages in heroics that I'm not critting the overgeared Paladin enough because he simply doesn't take damage for me to heal!
    When I get FM, I just spam flashes of light, even when the tank isn't taking damage. I bet you do too, then they wont complain!

+ Reply to Thread