+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some advice for bumping up my dps as an arc mage!

Need some advice for bumping up my dps as an arc mage!

Ok.. well I have a solid mage.. in icc if my cds are popped I can do around 9k dps and 20k dps on a group of mobs...but theres always that hunter or other mage that always has better dps and holding a high dps... and i only hold around 4k dps on the trash... it only seems that I only do good dps is my cds are popped... but I'm the type of person that gears fast and moves quickly... I normally try and get both voa 10/25 and icc 10/25 (at least to rotface) done by wednesday... I got both professions up to 450 in one day... but anyways I love to hear some good advice from the pros. I wanna get geared as quick as possible and im always want to be the best, thats why im here.

My rotation is arcane blast x 4 then again if my arcane missiles thing doesn't proc... then arcane missiles... rinse and repeat...
    on bosses or if I wanna just go beast mode I hit arcane power, mirror image, icy veins, my trink, and sometimes a potion of speed

This is my mages gear/ talents

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...inary+Nobodies

I'm not worried or need advice on my robe or pants bc im getting rid of them here in the next week...but i would love to hear any advice on what i need to improve or need to do my talents, gems, or anything that involves making my mage just kick more ass, bc I just found out not too long ago that you only need about 11% or 288 hit rating...

In my talents I get bitched at by other mages that i shouldn't wasted a point on "slow" but I love to have it for the blood beasts or if i have to take aggro for fights just for "you never know what could happen" but mainly to have it for the blood beasts... its really nice to have...

I'd love to hear anything i just saw some guy give another mage a complete rundown what he should do to improve his mage but he was spec for fire but wanted to do dps with arcane.. 0_o but still it would be nice too have someone or many ppl tell me what i can do to improve my mage... bc there was a patch a few days ago and I know a lot changes with out me knowing...so pls give me a run down or just a tid bit of advice to make this mage the best!
    Last edited by Datmageguy; 03-27-2010 at 02:29 AM.

Most of your problem is your gearing and gemming, I suspect. If you have a World of Logs parse that would let us narrow down your problems more.

Your gear is not well balanced. You have massively too much hit. For your spec you only need 11% hit, or 8% hit if you have a shadow priest or boomkin in your raid to provide a 3% hit debuff. You have the wrong metagem, replace the one you have with Chaotic Skyflare Diamond. You should also never gem intellect or mp5: replace all your intellect and mp5 gems with spellpower or spellpower+haste. Use two spellpower+spirit (purple) gems to meet the metagem requirement. You are also a JC but do not have any of the amazing JC-only gems: you should have 3.

Your best stats are spellpower and haste, crit is a long way behind those two.

Use this program to plan and arrange your gear: Rawr.

Yeah I'm working on getting rid of all that hit rating... its mostly from the old gear I have like the pants and robe idk why but blizz put a lot of hit rating into the t9 armor for mages... and if you look at the t10 armor mage they drop the hit rating a ton... I'm working on getting all t10.

My gems... are so screwed up and thanks for telling me what to replace, as of my jc... i just hit 450 the other day and working on the dailys to get the dragon eyes...

Also what is the world of logs you spoke of, bc if knew about it or know how to use it i would gladly use it to help you to help me...

And I'm trying Rawr now... but thank you for you help hope to hear more help!

Just found out that rawr doesn't work for mac...
    Last edited by Datmageguy; 03-29-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Alright so let gets this train reck a'rollin'

First off your over hit, I understand I've been there won't give you any crap for it, just know you don't need anymore.

Second your gems need help. Change your meta to Chaotic Skyflare Diamond *. You should change the majority of your gems to Reckess Ametrine, except two blues to keep your meta active.

Third you need haste, right now you are sporting about 11% haste, you need to be getting some where between 800 - 900 haste rating before you can starting thinking to shy away from it, a good rule of thumb is when Icy Veins + blood lust = less then 1 second cast times, start stacking spell power. This means you may need to down grade some items to squeeze more haste, your gs will look worse but your dps will improve.

Lastly a question. Are you clipping your arcane missiles? Most new mages do, as it is a channeled spell you will interrupt it with another spell casting, OR you will precast your next spell interrupting the missiles... Which leads you missing the last tick of arcane missiles (which could be anywhere from 3 to 8 thousand damage depending on raid composition and CD's being used).

* This gem is important it will add some where upwards of 200 damage per crit. You have 40% threat reduction from talents, if you need more your tank is doing something horribly wrong.
    Last edited by leethaxor; 03-29-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added something
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Ha ok well I just replaced 4 of my gems to the Reckless Ametrine, like less than 30 mins ago...

I'v also notice that the new t10 mage armor (which I'm working on getting) has drop alot of the hit rating and added more haste, so I'm hoping that will drop my huge hit rating down... bc idk what else to lose to get rid of that much hit rating... also those 4 reckless gems only boosted me up 40 haste... and now im at 400 haste idk what will give me more of a haste rating... I also see that the t10 armor is really focused on less hit and more haste... anything else i can gain and lose?

Buy Talisman of Resurgence for 50 Triumph badges and use it to replace Shard of the Crystal Heart, which has 128 hit rating you aren't using. Alternatively farm Abyssal Rune from normal ToC. Both are about equally good for you.

There's no reason with your gear and reasonable buffs you can't be doing 7-8k DPS, so if you are still having problems after you fix all the gemming issues then it must be what you are doing in combat.

p.s. Not worth fixing now, but you bought the wrong cloak. Volde's Cloak of the Night Sky is superior. Avoid mp5.

World of Logs is here - http://www.worldoflogs.com/

You save your combat log in WoW during the raid, then upload it to their site which allows us to analyze your performance.

Also there is a beta version of Rawr 3 which is web-based here: http://elitistjerks.com/rawr.php
    Last edited by Xodiv; 03-29-2010 at 06:02 PM.

I can see getting rid of that shard of the Crystal heart but marlins spy glass is way better than abyssal rune... ill try and get that talisman of resurgence...

But i was wondering what do you want me to log? a heroic, raid, a dummy? bc if it is a raid ill have to be done during the weekend... thats when i plan to raid icc, also i know i was dumb about the cloak, but when i did choose i remember that it was either that or +spirit... isn't that the same thing?

Also the rawr wont even load my toon.... idk what to do about it i keep getting a error message

Also the world of logs I don't have a guild that is registered with them so what do I do?

Yeah so ive been trying for the past 3 hours trying to get rawr to work and it just wont download my characters data... but i will take any more advice you guys would like to offer!
    Last edited by Datmageguy; 03-29-2010 at 10:50 PM.

I apologise, I wasn't clear enough regarding the trinket. You should definitely keep Muradin's Spyglass. You should replace Shard of the Crystal Heart with either Talisman of Resurgence or Abyssal Rune.

World of Logs will let you sign yourself up and register a guild. You don't need it to be a real guild, just register one called "DatMageGuy" for your personal logs. Logging a raid would be best. A heroic is not much good because things don't live long enough. If you absolutely can't log a raid you can log against the training dummy, but you won't have many buffs and will OOM quite quickly. Also the dummy will either not be debuffed at all or be randomly debuffed by other people who are there which is not very helpful.

It is probably a good idea to make a log against the dummy and upload it just so you get the hang of recording combat logs and using World of Logs before you really need it. There is an addon called Loggerhead that you can use to help with the combat logging in game -- it can automatically turn combat logging on in particular zones (e.g., Icecrown Citadel).

Spirit is not the same as MP5. With the Molten Armor glyph, 55% of your spirit is converted into crit rating. MP5 only gives you mana regen and is thus worthless since you have evocate and mana gems.

I don't know about the Rawr beta I'm afraid, I've only used the current Rawr version 2. Loading your character from armory will obviously only work if the armory is working, so check that before you try loading.
    Last edited by Xodiv; 03-29-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Ok i get what you mean about the mp5 and as soon as i get the chance ill get rid of the mp5 i have. i havent a clue how to work this world of logs... idk what to do, ive registered and everything just dont know how to do the whole guild thing. also is that loggerhead addon is it something totally different than world of logs? also my character has changed a bit from a couple of days ago, also i will be running both voas tomorrow and icc 10. im really hoping that my 251 pants drop in voa. but i have changed my mage up a bit. im saving up triumphs for that trink and every new piece of gear i get i gemming it right.

this is my mage now idk if it up dates from the one i posted above... http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...inary+Nobodies

Just turn your logs on when you do a raid by typing /combatlog and then turn it off again when you are done by typing /combatlog

Once you've got a logfile, (it'll be on your wow directory) upload it to the world of logs website and it'll give you a link to a parsed version of your logs. Once you've got that, you'll be able to review the data contained therein more readily.

+ Reply to Thread