+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blackmithing: Any reason to specialize now?

Blackmithing: Any reason to specialize now?

Got my new prot war up to 5k+ gs and BS to 450, then realized I forgot to specialize while powerleveling BS. Is there any reason to go back and pick a specialty now, or did Bliz abandon that idea in Wrath?

I think you're right on abandonment. I don't have one.

not at this time. maybe (hopefully) they include the bop items again in cataclysm.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Good to hear, will wait till Cataclysm, thanks guys.

The problem with the BS specialties (or at least armorsmithing) is that you need to go to Booty Bay to level them.
    Some of uf bored achievement lovers aren't on good standing there and simply cannot choose a specialty

nope, you can now get armorsmithing or weaponsmithing with just choosing one from the guy in orgrimmar and i'm guessing ironforge for alliance. to get the sub-weapon specs like maces, axes, or swords you still need to go talk to the guys in winterspring.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

See, once upon a time there was an expansion called Burning Crusade. And in that expansion, Blizzard crated speciality crafted weapons like Stormherald.

And those weapons were OP in arenas, so Blizz crafted an 11th commandment on the tablet of stone:

"Though shalt not allow any crafting specialty items to have any worth whatsoever."

So WotLK came out and now all we get is some lousy pvp-centric blues.

I'm praying Cat makes BS more than just my way of getting an extra 2 sockets again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eisen View Post

So WotLK came out and now all we get is some lousy pvp-centric blues.

I'm praying Cat makes BS more than just my way of getting an extra 2 sockets again.
    I've been considering this a lot lately. How do the 2 sockets compare to the bonuses on JC or Eng or Inscrip? As far as survivability and/or dps go.
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

Quote Originally Posted by JollyWarrior View Post
    I've been considering this a lot lately. How do the 2 sockets compare to the bonuses on JC or Eng or Inscrip? As far as survivability and/or dps go.
    I researched this a little while ago pertaining to a tank only.

If you were to drop BS to get JC you would get 3 stamina more. Since Im already a BS theres no way I would go through all the work to level up JC for such a nominal gain. Inscription all you gain is the shoulder enchant which is nothing to write home about. Engineer's get the +855 armor enchant to gloves so that is a good option.

I have been a BS/Miner forever as a tank only it works great for me. 2 sockets and +60 stamina.

JC is a better option if you do more than just tank.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    I researched this a little while ago pertaining to a tank only.

If you were to drop BS to get JC you would get 3 stamina more. Since Im already a BS theres no way I would go through all the work to level up JC for such a nominal gain. Inscription all you gain is the shoulder enchant which is nothing to write home about. Engineer's get the +855 armor enchant to gloves so that is a good option.

I have been a BS/Miner forever as a tank only it works great for me. 2 sockets and +60 stamina.

JC is a better option if you do more than just tank.
    For Greatest Versatility BS/JC is the way to go.
    If you just going for stamina then any combination of BS/JC/Mining/LW/Enchanting will work.

BS's sockets primarily show their value for DPS warriors (and DKs) who can socket Str instead of AP. Only BS and JC let you do that, all other profession bonuses give AP. You get a little more AP via Kings from Str than from pure AP profession bonuses.

It also helped some at the beginning of Wrath when Naxx was the top content, when it was difficult to get 26 Expertise while keeping up Defense and Stamina. That situation might recur at the beginning of Cataclysm too (or maybe not since Def is going away), but it's only temporary till higher ilvl gear becomes available.
    Last edited by Kurtosis; 03-28-2010 at 09:20 PM.

The Real question:

When can Blacksmithing craft something cosmetically cool? Or something Blacksmith only again?

How about armor kits for my mounts? It wouldn't do anything to change the mount except for let you change the cosmetics a bit. Blacksmithing needs some vanity items.
    "A man can learn twice as much from milking a cat as two men can from a very tall fourth man.
    - Mark "Alec Baldwin" Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Arikak View Post
    The Real question:

When can Blacksmithing craft something cosmetically cool? Or something Blacksmith only again?

How about armor kits for my mounts? It wouldn't do anything to change the mount except for let you change the cosmetics a bit. Blacksmithing needs some vanity items.
    Ive been suggesting this for a while and even dropped a post about it in the official cata forums.

Armor skins for , toons and mounts. Blacksmiths could create them with mats fed from other professions either raw or combined ones to become part of the finished item. Add in a few BS only ones for flavor. The possibilities are endless.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

It seems to me they kind of fell behind or simply ignored profession specialties in WotLK. BS specialties were only useful upon leveling up and the weapons/armor weren't even item level 200 I believe. I liked the epic weapons you could keep upgrading through Primal Nethers or Nether Vortex.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    Engineer's get the +855 armor enchant to gloves so that is a good option.

Hmm. Based on an EH calculator I found, 855 armor works out to about 70stam equiv. Between that and some of the other utility items from Engineering, that might be tempting to do BS/Eng. I've got other miners to farm mats if needed. Not sure how crazy I am about grinding up Engineering, but might be fun to have.
    "What we need is a special blend of Psychology and extreme violence"

Engineering is a tough grind, as a JC you may get some more longevity from the +51 stam gems. I believe it edges out mining by a small margin.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Engineering is probably the most fun to have if you do have it, though... although I don't, so it may be a "grass is greener" experience. They can get rockets on their gloves, rocket boots, slowfall capes, all sorts of handy little gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Eravian View Post
    Engineering is probably the most fun to have if you do have it, though... although I don't, so it may be a "grass is greener" experience. They can get rockets on their gloves, rocket boots, slowfall capes, all sorts of handy little gadgets.
    Yup, exactly. I have an Engineer so I know what I'm getting, I'm just thinking that between the slightly better EH for PvE, the rocket boots, ranged attack gloves and parachute capes would rock for PvP. Many is the time some mage has frost nova/blinked with a shred of health left and heroic throw has been on cooldown. A rocket launcher on the gloves would just make me giggle.
    "What we need is a special blend of Psychology and extreme violence"

Quote Originally Posted by The Hoof View Post
    A rocket launcher on the gloves would just make me giggle.
    I imagine so. My prot war also has 450 Eng, and I powerleveled it early while leveling him so I could use the tank goggles, goblin rocket launcher, and other goodies.

I especially loved my brief stint in Hellfire Peninsula, shooting opposing faction members out of the sky if they flew overhead too closely. The hand rockets are great for pulling in instances, and the rocket boots can be clutch in some situations (H HoR when Charge/Intercept/Intervene/Heroic Throw on cd). The 885 glove armor + cloak armor enchant is not bad either.

When I realized how fun prot warriors are, I decided to make it my 'fun' toon, which meant one of the professions would be Engineering. Took BS also since it just kind of fits a big plate armor-clad warrior.

BS and JC for my warrior. The extra sockets and being able to use the better gems benefits both my Prot and Fury specs.

+ Reply to Thread