+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ret pally in need of help.

Ret pally in need of help.

Yeah, Hi there. I'm a retadin and I have a little problem. My problem is, with my gear I'm told I should be doing a lot higher damage then I do. If you want to look at my Gear, my characters name is Animae, I play on the US server on Madoran, so if you wanna check wow-heroes.com that'll be what you need to put in. In the outside case, I'll post my armor link. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...oran&cn=Animae

Anyways, can any Ret pallys give me a bit of advice on how to boost my dps? I really need the helm because I dont want to let my Guild down when we are raiding. Anyways, thanks for the help in advance, Animae.

Also, I've looked up some guides on how to boost my dps, but the only advice I could find was when the pallys fav friend was around; Seal of Blood.

I'll take a look, but could you possibly give us some more information on how much (or little) dps you are doing and where?
    Combat logs would be great. Giving us more information on what skill priority you are using during fights will help.
    I will say this by no means should you expect to top the meters with your current gear level.

First thing I notice is that you have too much hit and an Armor Pen. Trinket (a lot of ret pallys seem to make these mistakes). Armor pen is not your most important stat, I would never waste a trinket slot on it.
    The stats you want to aim for should be along these lines: HIT(8%)>STR>CRIT>HASTE>ARP

1) Replace your Incisor Fragment with a Mirror of truth (its cheap but good starter)

2) You should be able to trade out your Pyrite Infuser with a Darkmoon Card: Greatness if you have the gold available.

NOTE: Trinkets you should look for from instances.
    [Death's Choice/verdict] -- ToC 25/25h Twins
    [Whispering Fanged Skull] -- ICC10 Lady Deathwhisper
    [Tiny Abomination in a Jar] -- ICC25 Professor Putricide

3) Put a Nightmare Tear in your helm (activating your meta is very important to your dps)

4) Download an addon called CLCRET if you haven't already, this will help you with your dps priority a lot. It's default priority should be set up for your current tier level, but bear in mind your priority will change once you get 2pc T10...

5) As mentioned before, your next frost badge purchases should be on 2 pieces of t10 at least. The set bonus is huge.

6) You brought the wrong cloak with your frost badges, The agility one is better. But at this point its too late to worry about. Just a heads up that you will often find Agility pieces to be useful as they provide a lot of crit.

7) Get in some ICC10/25 even for rep farming. The upgraded version of your Ashen verdict ring is huge.

8) Replace your weapon asap, It is definitely holding you back. Again if you have the money invest in a battered hilt. If not there is a nice polearm from Heroic HoR that may help until you can get some ICC upgrades.

9) Put the speed boost on your gloves. Open up your fights with the speed boosts+wings+ speed potion(if available). Then use the speed boosts on gloves every CD (every other CD will line up and stack with wings).

10) This is more of a min/max thing. But dropping Saronite bombs on every CD will net you about 30dps.

11) Drop mining and pick up Either JC or Blacksmithing, Unless your prot spec is your main spec. Currently mining does nothing for you dps wise.

12) Put Berserking on your weapon.

That's all I have at the moment. Hope this helps
    If you have any further questions, ask away.
    ~Dega

Quote Originally Posted by Samius View Post
    I'll take a look, but could you possibly give us some more information on how much (or little) dps you are doing and where?
    Combat logs would be great. Giving us more information on what skill priority you are using during fights will help.
    I will say this by no means should you expect to top the meters with your current gear level.

First thing I notice is that you have too much hit and an Armor Pen. Trinket (a lot of ret pallys seem to make these mistakes). Armor pen is not your most important stat, I would never waste a trinket slot on it.
    The stats you want to aim for should be along these lines: HIT(8%)>STR>CRIT>HASTE>ARP

1) Replace your Incisor Fragment with a Mirror of truth (its cheap but good starter)

2) You should be able to trade out your Pyrite Infuser with a Darkmoon Card: Greatness if you have the gold available.

NOTE: Trinkets you should look for from instances.
    [Death's Choice/verdict] -- ToC 25/25h Twins
    [Whispering Fanged Skull] -- ICC10 Lady Deathwhisper
    [Tiny Abomination in a Jar] -- ICC25 Professor Putricide

3) Put a Nightmare Tear in your helm (activating your meta is very important to your dps)

4) Download an addon called CLCRET if you haven't already, this will help you with your dps priority a lot. It's default priority should be set up for your current tier level, but bear in mind your priority will change once you get 2pc T10...

5) As mentioned before, your next frost badge purchases should be on 2 pieces of t10 at least. The set bonus is huge.

6) You brought the wrong cloak with your frost badges, The agility one is better. But at this point its too late to worry about. Just a heads up that you will often find Agility pieces to be useful as they provide a lot of crit.

7) Get in some ICC10/25 even for rep farming. The upgraded version of your Ashen verdict ring is huge.

8) Replace your weapon asap, It is definitely holding you back. Again if you have the money invest in a battered hilt. If not there is a nice polearm from Heroic HoR that may help until you can get some ICC upgrades.

9) Put the speed boost on your gloves. Open up your fights with the speed boosts+wings+ speed potion(if available). Then use the speed boosts on gloves every CD (every other CD will line up and stack with wings).

10) This is more of a min/max thing. But dropping Saronite bombs on every CD will net you about 30dps.

11) Drop mining and pick up Either JC or Blacksmithing, Unless your prot spec is your main spec. Currently mining does nothing for you dps wise.

12) Put Berserking on your weapon.

That's all I have at the moment. Hope this helps
    If you have any further questions, ask away.
    ~Dega
    Thanks Dega! I know I have to replace my trinkets and I have to much Hit rating, me and my guild members are trying to find me some gear to replace them. I'm low on gold atm, I've been in a lot of runs where the tank ends up failing and somehow I end up pulling off him/her. Also, which Polearm should I look for? I might accidently role on the wrong one haha. For the specs, I was main specing Prot as I leveled (which was very stupid..) and I was saying I was thinking about dropping my Mining for JC.

Orca Hunters Harpoon. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50296
    drops off of Marwyn. Good Luck.

Good call on the JC. I am a JC'er and love it. Especially once you get a few gem cuts, the money making potential is great. Currently quickly farming heroics (as prot) and buying gems with the badges, then cutting selling. Oh yeah, and the JC daily is always a quick way to make a few G.
    Last edited by Samius; 04-04-2010 at 08:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread