+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Weekly Marmot -- Blizzcon & TankSpot Updates

The Weekly Marmot -- Blizzcon & TankSpot Updates

It's been a while since you've marmot'ed I guess xD. I <3 that the shoutbox is back, though at peak times it seems to move REALLY fast, wish it had a bit of a longer history.

As for blizzcon, too far away for me to be able to get there without me going into debt XD.

is it next week yet? can't wait for the ui marmot!

Yayyy!!! Your back <3
    http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/1/...12666KkLgi.png

The best part of playing mmo's is you know your annoying the shit of someone else when they die!

Welcome back, Aliena. We missed you over in the healing forums!

Ah the ICC buff...

This buff is a good idea overall. As I think Ghostcrawler himself has mentioned, there's is a vast difference in skill level between the top end guilds and even your average guild. This is a much better way to control who gets to see content and what level the challenges are set at.

Don't extend the buff to hard modes. Top end guilds aren't going to be happy unless they have some sort of accomplishment they can wave around. Give them that - let the guys who can make it to the hard modes wipe until their knuckles bleed - they're happiest that way. The rest of us are perfectly happy just clearing the normal modes (and don't worry we wipe plenty in the process :P )

Also, there really should be an achievement, or a mount, or some gear to go along with hard mode kills or kills that don't include the buff, even before the buff goes into effect. Raid progression and the rewards associated with it are the status symbols of WOW. Otherwise, there's really no reason for anyone to turn off the buff.

So to summarize:

1. The buff is good.
    2. Don't extend it to hard modes.
    3. Give extra rewards for turning the buff off.

Now, the limited attempt system...

Never ever do that, ever again. That does a whole lot of bad things. It punishes players for learning is the worst part. There's only so much you can learn from a video, sometimes you just need to learn by doing. When you have limited attempts, it limits experimentation and it limits who you can allow to try certain roles. It rewards exploits like alt raiding, which favors players with enough time to gear up an alt. It also punishes the entire guild for the connection issues of one player.

If you like, leave the heroic mode version of limited attempts. At the very least, it will give heroic mode raiders another thing to brag about

yahoo shes back!<3=)
    welcome back aliena!

She does it on purpose... doesn't she... =.=

<3

Unlike WM021 and WM022, the sound in this weekly marmot (022Aliena) works just fine under mplayer on linux.
    Lore, take note! Your encoder is fubar! Alienas encoder is not!

Quote Originally Posted by Knighterrant81 View Post
    Don't extend the buff to hard modes. Top end guilds aren't going to be happy unless they have some sort of accomplishment they can wave around. Give them that - let the guys who can make it to the hard modes wipe until their knuckles bleed - they're happiest that way. The rest of us are perfectly happy just clearing the normal modes (and don't worry we wipe plenty in the process :P )

Also, there really should be an achievement, or a mount, or some gear to go along with hard mode kills or kills that don't include the buff, even before the buff goes into effect. Raid progression and the rewards associated with it are the status symbols of WOW. Otherwise, there's really no reason for anyone to turn off the buff.

So to summarize:

1. The buff is good.
    2. Don't extend it to hard modes.
    3. Give extra rewards for turning the buff off.

Now, the limited attempt system...

Never ever do that, ever again. That does a whole lot of bad things. It punishes players for learning is the worst part. There's only so much you can learn from a video, sometimes you just need to learn by doing. When you have limited attempts, it limits experimentation and it limits who you can allow to try certain roles. It rewards exploits like alt raiding, which favors players with enough time to gear up an alt. It also punishes the entire guild for the connection issues of one player.

If you like, leave the heroic mode version of limited attempts. At the very least, it will give heroic mode raiders another thing to brag about
    It should NEVER EVER EVER have been applied to hard modes, I have been saying this since the buff first came out.

Well actually, this would have been my thought process, release the 5% buff to hard modes the WEEK AFTER the 30% buff hit. Then up it by 5% every week after that for hard modes, maybe every other week. While I enjoy the buff, we already clear all 11 non-lich king hard modes on tuesday night, with another 5% it is going to be a complete laugh-fest.

As for the attempts, attempts are good, but the way they did attempts in TOC was just beyond stupid. The cape should have been 45, after our first 50 kill we got 49 attempt kills the next month because of DC's or server lag during phase 3 anub with 50 left and a tank or pcold would die and it would be a wipe. While people disagree with me in that you should only get loot if you deserve it, being perfect is just not realistic in the game today with the way the servers can be.

The other extreme is the ICC model which is even if you kill it on the last attempt you still get full loot. There needs to be some incentive to the attempts and with the buff system very shortly after your first heroic LK kill you will be 1-shoting him and every other boss along the way minus server lag and dcs but I just do not agree with having to be perfect.

I do agree that attempts on normal mode encounters WOULD HAVE BEEN dumb, except that as soon as hard modes came out they removed attempts, and there were no gate bosses on normal when attempts were in, you could use your attempts on any attempt boss you wished in any order. I would have liked to have seen the normal mode attempts last maybe an extra week beyond what it did but as long as normal mode attempts are removed when hard modes come out there is no reason not to at least have them in the short term.

Nice coloring!

...but aren't the little hearts supposed to be linked together when you open them up in the end? D:

Only when you cut them so they link together!

welcome back aliena i just want to ask if you was still going to make a vid about warlocks or show off your lock

I have been looking for new ideas for my UI. Although the current one I use is just fine, its not the greatist set up in the world I have come up with. Can't wait to see what you have to say about them.

Maybe I should do something on warlocks, since it seems everything here is tank or healer related xD. Too bad I'm far too lazy and my account runs out soon :/

+ Reply to Thread