+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Expertise and endgame ICC 25 heroic tanking....

Expertise and endgame ICC 25 heroic tanking....

I'm curious as to what high end tanks (prot war's appreciated) are rolling with in expertise and why. Seems like most high end tanks don't really seem to care about it at all. Alternate opinions would be appreciated.

It's one of those stats that isn't overly important, but not completely ignorable either.

Generally, I've seen my warriors focus on other stats, and have enough expertise as secondary stats because it's on the gear anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Expertise used to be (and still is) the best threat stat. With the added benefit that you could gain some survivability out of it (by reducing boss parry hastes, there used to be a long, long thread on it here).

But, just about every boss in ICC has parry haste disabled. So now it's just a (great) threat stat, and well... have you seen the silliness that is tank threat now? Be it revenege or icy touch, ect.

Also, other than BQL and Festergut there really aren't threat sensitive fights in ICC, just wow he hits really hard fights. But that's a bit of speculation since I haven't seen all the bosses yet.

I firmly believe in having 26 expertise skill if it is within reach. Realistically you can maintain 26 without much issue given the correct ICC gear, however if you are in a transition phase waiting for some drops you could dip below, as is my current case now. I use x2 Guardian Dreadstones (each gives 1.22 Skill) and eat the expertise food (gives 4.88 skill) to reach 26 skill. Due to the correct placement of the 2 hybrid gems I gain some stamina lost back with the bonuses.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

I would agree with Boda, if its reasonlably within reach you should get the 26 exp skill. Personally i'm using 2-3 Guardian's Dreadstones (activating 9-12 stam bonuses) in my gear set up to hit the 26 mark without the food. I can see it becoming a problem if your using a 4P T10/pillars of might set up, since your not having the emblem chest and its massive exp boost though.

I am stting at 12 expertise, and I am an Orc using an axe haha.
    NONE of my gear has expertise on it. There are a few key upgrades I need that have expertise.

Well honestly I'm thinking of practically ignoring it, TPS issues are silly/non-existent. The parry haste factor is almost the only thing I'd worry about so I'm really wondering the value if at all of the stat anymore.

39 Expertise at the moment. Heroic Grinning Skull Greatboots, Cataclysmic Chestguard, the 277 ilvl Tanking Pants, and talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Feebel the Pickle Lord View Post
    Well honestly I'm thinking of practically ignoring it, TPS issues are silly/non-existent. The parry haste factor is almost the only thing I'd worry about so I'm really wondering the value if at all of the stat anymore.
    I hear a lot of people say this, but it's definatly not my experience.

True, when people play right, threat never becomes a real issue, but there are a lot of moments, especially at the beginning of a fight, where I simply need those misdirects and tricks to keep my threat up.
    I doubt I'm doing anything wrong and my gear kicks ass, but it may have something to do with having some 12-15k dps people in my raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

there's only two bosses that parry haste in icc, deathwhisper and sindragosa i believe. expertise is purely for TPS in icc for that reason

Quote Originally Posted by jugggernaut View Post
    there's only two bosses that parry haste in icc, deathwhisper and sindragosa i believe. expertise is purely for TPS in icc for that reason
    Do you have proof of this? I'm almost positive I've seen more than just those two bosses swing faster than 2 seconds at me.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Here you are Kaze.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic

My opinion: Get expertise if you need the threat. If you don't.... take it as it comes, although I generally try and stay above 20 simply to make pickups easier. Nothing more irritating that a miss/dodge/parry when you are trying to pickup a new add spawn.

i currently have some expertise gems to match socket bonuses in my gear while we are wiping at sindragosa25 hc. she definatly has parry haste enabled, actually half of the wipes of the first evening came from it because the melees stood a little bit "in front of her" at her side and produced some nice parrys. with good hits she just 2 shoots me (32k hits, 62k hp in frost resist currently) and its a huge difference if the healers got 1.8s to land a heal or 1.2s . after sindragosa i will probably regem to max stam for lk hc.

I have 16 skill and have zero threat problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Do you have proof of this? I'm almost positive I've seen more than just those two bosses swing faster than 2 seconds at me.
    That's because several bosses in ICC simply have a base swing timer of 1.5 or faster.

Quote Originally Posted by jugggernaut View Post
    Agreed. Also the value of expertise depends on classes. Paladins will find expertise most valuable as most of their attacks counts as two attacks with SoV up. 2-hander DKs will find it least interesting as rune strikes and spells can not be parried or dodged. Even at the beginning of a fight, DKs could use IT to build a leading threat and IT is a spell which only concerns hit.

Expertise is only important if you have actual threat problems, however you do get some from gear by default anyway.

Using 4piece T10+ emblem chest atm which gets me 28 expertise but i'd like to switch over to T10 chest and crafted legs. The thing is that the only fight where i felt a little squishy was lich king P2/3 starting hardmodes this week, is it worth dropping expertise from 28 to 8 just to get the extra armor from the legs. http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n=Bigbadorugly

Specially now the 10% buff will be active this week how will 20 expertise skill vs armor from the legs hold up. Dropping to 8 expertise just feels wrong, time to get the boots from valithria i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by gacktt View Post
    Expertise is only important if you have actual threat problems, however you do get some from gear by default anyway.
    If you're genuinely having threat problems, expertise won't really help you much at all. It will increase already-good threat, but when it's bad to begin with you have other problems besides gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    Also, other than BQL and Festergut there really aren't threat sensitive fights in ICC, just wow he hits really hard fights. But that's a bit of speculation since I haven't seen all the bosses yet.
    Threat isnt really an issue on Fester either. Remember the stacks put on you will increase your damage done significantly and the new tank comming in will inherit a huge threat lead over the dps when he taunts. The only one ever close to the tank on threat should be the tank who was just taunted off of and beeing a tank he should be able to control the situation.

And yes this isnt the proper place for it but has anyone noticed since the patch how us DKs by using IT a bit more can leave all the other tanks in a cloud of dust when it comes to threat. Last night I looked at recount during the Marrowgar fight and it put me at 30k TPS for about 5 secs before I dropped back to about 20k. I havent compared it to a pally tank yet since the patch but my warrior collegue had no chance and I even felt the need to apologize a bit since he must have though I was constantly taunting trash off of him.

+ Reply to Thread