+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Guide: Gearing your tank (Patch 3.3.3)

Quote Originally Posted by runner153 View Post
    Mend thanks for the guide. I have been a ret/prot pally for a while and have not done anything with my tanking set until recently.
    What gems would you recomend after getting def capped?
    Your best bet would be pure stamina gems, and one Expertise/stamina in a red socket to activate your meta if you haven't reached the softcap otherwise gem for an Agil/Stamina to activate the meta since agil does provide armor which adds to your overall EHP but it won't really make or break anything in your gearsetup.

Awesome guide. Quick question though. You give a couple second and third choices on a few pieces, for the weapon, I am having a hell of a time getting Rimefang's Claw to drop (Pally), but Falric's Wrist Chopper dropped. Would that be fine to use as a back up for now? Or is it crap for pallies & I should stick to the mace I have (old sun).

Quick Generic Note for Bears, who didn't get much love.

In general, but not always, Tier Gear is better than offsets. There are a few exceptions, like Duskstalker Shoulders over Feral T9 Shoulders.

For weapons, Marrowstrike from H ToC is a good option, replace it with Orca Hunter's Harpoon from Heroic HoR.

You can craft a lot of gear. Bracers of Swift Death, Footpads of Impeding silence (or the crafted Ulduar versions), Ulduar crafted belt, Knightbane Carapace is better than Tier IMO, etc.

For Idols, pick Idol of the Corruptor over Idol of Mutilation until you can afford your Idol of the Crying Moon (Frost badge).

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    Quick Generic Note for Bears, who didn't get much love.

In general, but not always, Tier Gear is better than offsets. There are a few exceptions, like Duskstalker Shoulders over Feral T9 Shoulders.

For weapons, Marrowstrike from H ToC is a good option, replace it with Orca Hunter's Harpoon from Heroic HoR.

You can craft a lot of gear. Bracers of Swift Death, Footpads of Impeding silence (or the crafted Ulduar versions), Ulduar crafted belt, Knightbane Carapace is better than Tier IMO, etc.

For Idols, pick Idol of the Corruptor over Idol of Mutilation until you can afford your Idol of the Crying Moon (Frost badge).
    Seems easy enough, I'll work on a druid version soon

Quote Originally Posted by Jekerdud View Post
    Awesome guide. Quick question though. You give a couple second and third choices on a few pieces, for the weapon, I am having a hell of a time getting Rimefang's Claw to drop (Pally), but Falric's Wrist Chopper dropped. Would that be fine to use as a back up for now? Or is it crap for pallies & I should stick to the mace I have (old sun).
    Well you can judge for yourself, they both have the same amount of stamina and avoidance and they are both better than old sun. Use Falrics now since it is identical to rimefangs, until you get an ICC drop.

Before I start a new thread is there anything around for what to do after this? I kinda feel like I'm at a Tank glass ceiling. I can tank all the 5man Heroics but can't get any groups for ICC. Where do I go from here?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...idge&cn=Hrygar
    Last edited by Hrygar; 09-23-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrygar View Post
    Before I start a new thread is there anything around for what to do after this? I kinda feel like I'm at a Tank glass ceiling. I can tank all the 5man Heroics but can't get any groups for ICC. Where do I go from here?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...idge&cn=Hrygar
    Just follow the guide and I can guarantee you will be ICC ready.

I just got my warrior alt to level 80. One thing to consider is using a few more pieces of PVP gear. You mentioned the cloak, but the wrathful bracers for honor are pretty solid pieces too and the neck is decent considering the lack of alternatives. The Wintergrasp shoulders are an acceptable stand-in until you get the emblem ones. Even the rings (wrathful or WG) fill a gap. The gear is good for effective health, threat and really trivialises being crit immune. What it lacks is avoidance, but you should be ok for heroics and in ICC avoidance is not that crucial. I've used crafted and PVP gear to get ICC ready with almost no emblem gear (only got the gloves and ring so far).

PVP gear is particularly accessible if you have a main who has a lot of stone keeper shards or Wintergrasp marks. Turn them into Wintergrasp commendations and send them to your new level 80 alt tank to buy wrathful pieces for honor.

Oh, and with brewfest on, new tanks should get the stamina trinkets. Tanks who miss out could consider buying the tankard as a weapon - threat is a major issue for new tanks nowadays and the tankard will last you until you get a ICC 5 man drop. Should be pretty cheap on the AH for a while.

Hey, thanks for the guide. Just came back to WoW and this is just what i was looking for, straight to the point.

Also what theodisius said, the 3 trinkets (i guess the souvenir is not bad if you don't have anything else) AND the 2 extra frost badges from Coren are really helpfull for anyone starting to get geared up.

+ Reply to Thread