+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guide: Gearing your tank (Patch 3.3.3)

Guide: Gearing your tank (Patch 3.3.3)

Welcome to the begginers tank gear guide! Post Patch 3.3

I will list here the best in slot items that a tank could get without the need for any raiding. This guide is aimed for new tanks post-patch 3.3 when the LFG system was introduced and gear has become easily obtainable

by anyone looking to upgrade to Ulduar-ToC ilvl gear without the need for a raid group.

Q. Why wouldn't a new tank find a begginer proggresion raiding guild and join them to get a chance at the " Raid level gear " ?
    A. The reason might be with the tanks time schedule in real life which will cause him/her to miss out on progression raids and gear upgrades. There are many other reasons such as new tanks that only joined after patch 3.3 and most of the guides on the net are for pre-Naxx while most servers never run naxx any more due to the new content and so these new players will be left out on the current tier of raiding.

I will skip the past 3 tiers of gear and will jump straight to tier 9 as it is very easy to acquire.

Since blizzard has introduced the new LFG system in patch 3.3, new level 80 players that dont have the opportunity to raid now have an easy and quick way of aquiring the latest tier set of gear for their class/roll.

I will focus on the tanking gear a player can aquire easily through farming the emblem of triumph badges and getting crafted gear.

For the 1st random heroic you will run each day you will gain 2x Emblems of frost and usually 3x Emblems of triumph. After that you will gain 5x Emblems of triumph ( This number scales with the number of boss' in the instance ).

You also have the opportunity to uprade to tier 10 ICC level gear without raiding ! Which will only require some time and patience through the daily LFG system.

2x Emblems of frost every day for 30 days = 60 Emblems of Frost
    20x Emblems of frost from the weekly raid quest which is easily puggable due to most people over gearing it.
    6x Emblems from the introductory quest line for the frozen hall instances.
    = 86 Emblems of Frost for your 1st month of turning level 80
    80 Emblems afterwards which means nearly 1 upgrade every month without setting foot into Icecrown Citadel

Lets begin :

(Note: My own character that I have geared up through this system is a Death Knight tank, but I will post the gear for warriors and paladins also. / I opoligise but my experience with druids is very small, I would rather let a more experienced player guide you through /. )

Helm -

Faceplate of the Honorbound -- is best in slot for plate tanks // Cost 75x Emblems of triumph
    Enchant-- Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector

Followed by :
    Wrynn's Greathelm of Conquest -- Warriors
    Turalyon's Faceguard of Conquest -- Paladins
    Thassarian's Faceguard of Conquest -- Death Knights

The above 3 pieces are the tier 9 Conquest set for each class and cost 25x Emblems less than the faceplate.

Shoulders -

Shoulderplates of Enduring Order -- best in slot shoulders // Cost 45x Emblems of triumph
    Enchant-- Greater Inscription of the Gladiator Or Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle

Followed by :
    Wrynn's Pauldrons of Conquest -- Warriors
    Turalyon's Shoulderguards of Conquest -- Paladins
    Thassarian's Pauldrons of Conquest - Death Knights

Chest -

Breastplate of the White Knight -- Also best in slot for plate tanks // This piece is crafted and an will require
    12x Titansteel Bars // 8x Eternal Lifes // 2x Majestic Zircons // 8x Crusader Orbs
    Enchant-- Super Health

Followed by :
    Wrynn's Breastplate of Conquest -- Warriors
    Turalyon's Breastplate of Conquest -- Paladins
    Thassarian's Chestguard of Conquest -- Death Knights

The tier pieces of conquest will cost 50x Emblems of triumph for the chest, but the crafted piece is vastly superior.

Legs -

For the legs you need to buy the tier pieces as there is no ilvl 245 legs that you can get for now without raiding.

Wrynn's Legguards of Conquest -- Warriors // Cost 50x Emblems of triumph
    Turalyon's Legguards of Conquest -- Paladins // Cost 50x Emblems of triumph
    Thassarian's Legguards of Conquest -- Death Knights // Cost 50x Emblems of triumph
    Enchant -- Frosthide Leg Armor

If you have the gold you could craft Pillars of Might but they lack defense rating and might take you under the def minimum.

Belt -

For the belt I will also reccomend a crafted piece as it is superior to any of the vendor bought belts.

Indestructible Plate Girdle -- All plate tanks // Which will cost you 5x Titansteel Bars and 6x Runed Orbs
    Enchant- Eternal belt buckle with a Solid Majestic Zircon.

Hands -

For the hands you will need your tier 9 Conquest piece as there is nothing better from the triumph vendors.

Wrynn's Handguards of Conquest -- Warriors // Cost 30x Emblems of triumph
    Turalyon's Handguards of Conquest -- Paladins // Cost 30x Emblems of triumph
    Thassarian's Handguards of Conquest -- Death Knights // Cost 30x Emblems of triumph
    Enchant -- Formula: Enchant Gloves - Armsman if you need the extra threat Or Heavy Borean Armor Kit if you would like extra stamina. Or for the best effective health go for Glove Reinforcements

Wrists -

For the wrists the crafted ilvl 245 are best in slot so far.

Saronite Swordbreakers -- All plate tanks // Will require 8x Titansteel bars,, 20x Saronite bars and 4x Crusader orbs to craft.
    Enchant -- Major Stamina

Boots -

There are no triumph emblem boots but we have 2 options for boots :

Black Spire Sabatons -- All plate tanks // Which drop from the final boss of The forge of souls Heroic mode.
    Or
    Spiked Deathdealers -- Which are crafted // Cost 5x Titansteel bars and 6x Runed Orbs.

Enchant -- Tuskarr's Vitality

Cloak -

The best and easiest cloak to get is the PvP 264 cloak you can buy with honor in SW/ORG, there are 2 versions of the cloak and the only difference is the 1st provides hit while the 2nd provides AP. Go with hit.

Enchant -- Titanweave

Neck -

Fossilized Ammonite Choker -- Which drops from the tribute chest after the lich king encounter in Halls of Reflection Heroic.
    Or
    Shard of the Crystal Forest -- Bought with 19x Emblems of Conquest

Rings -

Clutch of Fortification -- Can be bought with 35x Emblems of Triumph
    And
    Mark of the Relentless -- Which drops from Trial Of the champion Heroic.

Trinkets -

The Black Heart -- Which drops from Normal mode Trial of the champion
    And
    Glyph of Indomitability -- Which can be bought with 50x Emblems of Triumph

--------------------------------------------------

Now for main handed weapons and shields :

For Warriors and Paladins
    Rimefang's Claw -- Is best in slot as a fast tanking weapon and drops from Pit of Saron Heroic.

Shield
    Splintered Door of the Citadel -- Drops from normal mode Halls of Reflection
    Enchant -- Stamina

For Death Knights there are 2 options for a 2h weapon :

Tyrannical Beheader - Which is best in slot for non-raiders. Drops from Heroic Pit of saron

Followed by Mourning Malice - Drops from normal Halls of Reflection

Enchant -- Stoneskin Gargoyle

----------------------------------------------

What all of the above gear combination will net you:

32k + Health Unbuffed
    550+ Defense
    25+ Dodge
    20+ Parry
    And Finally 27k + Armor

Best of luck on your gear
    Last edited by Mend; 06-23-2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Updates! and new title

Great list, however I wouldn't recommend using armsman for the gloves. Either, as listed, 18 stamina. Another very viable (and the one I prefer) is the 240 armor enchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothring View Post
    Great list, however I wouldn't recommend using armsman for the gloves. Either, as listed, 18 stamina. Another very viable (and the one I prefer) is the 240 armor enchant.
    Added

Another viable option for gloves is 20 agility, an all round enchant.

Excellent guide anyway. I would just like to suggest that if you get hold of legs that arent t9 (hit and BV isnt great), then I'd be tempted to take the 232 tier shoulders over the 245 emblem ones to mainstain the 2 set bonus. I understand this is for non-raiders but some people reading may have access to the occasional ToC25 pug, or may be rich enough to buy Pillars of Might.

Good work!

Passive

20 Agility is pretty good for a bit of extra avoidance but only provides 40 Armor vs. the glove reinforcement which nets you 240 armor. The small amount of avoidance you gain from 20 agility doesn't seem worth it to get it instead of an armor boost.

I agree that those stats aren't the best, but if you get lucky and win a trophy, go ahead and upgrade.

This is a great list but I dont see anything about ranged slots/relics.Is the triumph badge stuff the best bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Azeld View Post
    This is a great list but I dont see anything about ranged slots/relics.Is the triumph badge stuff the best bet?
    For raw EH the best (non-raid) would still be the Armor Plated Combat Shotgun with a +30 stam gem. The triumph throwing weapon is ~140 hp less after factoring in talents but has higher +Hit and avoidance.
    Jalousie: Two ovaries walk into a bar.
    "Hey, can we get some cervix over here?"

The 264 ilvl gun from ICC 25, Rowan's Rifle of Silver Bullets is BoE and you only lose one stam from a properly gemmed combat shotgun. If you have the cash, not a bad way to go.

Sorry about lacking the ranged slot for warriors.

Here is a comparison between the ranged weapons you can get without raiding.

Rowans rifle is BiS if you can afford it, but not a huge upgrade from the Triumph thrown weapon.
    I would say go for the blades, they will cost you 25 Emblems and seem better than the shotgun with the strength and extra dodge.

As for librams and sigils, Libram of Defiance
    for paladins provides a great dodge boost when used with your main threat abilitie.
    And Sigil of Insolence would be best for Death Knight's.
    Last edited by Mend; 04-06-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Typo

Assuming you just made a typo, but the blades actually cost 25 emblems and not 45 (even easier to acquire).
    Last edited by Lothring; 04-05-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Spelling :<

Thanks for this awesome list, I've been working on my paladin alt for heroic tanking and I just couldn't get the gear going, I have 3 pc t9 (Helm, shoulder, legs) but I'm still not def capped on him haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitochi View Post
    Thanks for this awesome list, I've been working on my paladin alt for heroic tanking and I just couldn't get the gear going, I have 3 pc t9 (Helm, shoulder, legs) but I'm still not def capped on him haha.
    That's why Defense/Stamina gems will be your best friend in yellow sockets. And with the Stamina/Recilience enchant to your shoulder, you will only need a minimum of 536 defense skill for raid boss'.

Good luck =)

Actually, you should go for 537. I can't remember (or really feel like looking it up) the exact numbers, but you can be under the defense rating you need with the resi shoulder enchant and the game will still round up to 536 def skill. At 537 you're definitely crit immune against raid bosses.

Passive

I'm not sure if its true, since all you need to be crit immune is a 5.6% chance to fully remove it.

But since this guide is for non raiders, there isn't a big need to be crit immune against a raid boss if you will never encounter one.

I was under the impression that resilience didn't help for PVE dunno why, but my pally is now def capped for raids, although I really only use him for heroics as the transition from Warrior to Pally tanking is awkward. Eg I tanked half of FoS w/o RF on, still managed to hold aggro on half the mobs per pull ><

I finally got around to reading this thread....

AWESOME!!!! I really like it, the only thing I would say is "use armsman only if you need threat in heroics 5 mans" or something like that, I think it should be included, especially for beginners, but def agree that stam or armor is better, but this also seems more of a gear guide than an enchanting guide.

This + a frost emblem pick guide is invaluable for any starting warrior and I'll be adding the link in my guide later.

Big props!!!
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Zaitochi

Resilience still contributes to removing the chance of a critical hit landing on you, tanks don't use it because it doesn't add to their avoidance stats.

About forgetting righteous fury, been there done that. I'm just glad death knight don't need to turn on frost presence after dying.

Aggathon

Thanks for the great post.

I will tweak a few things in the guide and add some details, but with the gear this guide will net a begginer, they will be considered greatly overgeared for heroics and shouldn't have any problem with threat.

I have made some changes to the guide, I never ment for it to be a guide for a non-raider as much as I ment for it to be for new tanks that have just hit level 80 and want to start proggresing through raids without needing to do the previous tiers.

Mend thanks for the guide. I have been a ret/prot pally for a while and have not done anything with my tanking set until recently.
    What gems would you recomend after getting def capped?

+ Reply to Thread