+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2H or DW for tanking heroics

2H or DW for tanking heroics

I use a frost spec on my DK to tank heroics. I don't have the blocks of time necessary to raid so I only do heroics. My question is should I use a 2H set up or a DW one? If DW, what kind of weapons do I need? Slow in both, slow in MH fast in OH, etc?

I've had to struggle with people first saying I wasn't "geared enough" for heroics (when I had half crafted epics and half quest blues, was both Def and hit capped when I started) and now I'm hearing "Frost tanks shouldn't be 2H they should be DW...later fail" and people leave. FFS, what's a heroic only tank to do?! Thanks for the advice.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...Knight-Tanking

Read this through twice and you'll be ready to go

Thanks, Bosk. I read that guide like the bible as I was preparing to tank on my DK. It's just that the talk about 2H vs. DW made my head hurt with all the math and the complexities. =P
    Am I correct in assuming that if I want to maximize threat I should go with DW 2 slow weapons?

The readers digest version of 2h vs. DW is:

- Both are completely viable, people who say otherwise are ignorant
    - Depending on gear the basic assumed continuum for threat is 2 slow weapons > 2h > 2 fast weapons
    - Depending on gear the basic assumed continuum for survivability is 2h = 2 fast weapons > 2 slow weapons (mainly due to the lack of def stats on slow weapons)
    "What we need is a special blend of Psychology and extreme violence"

I can say from experience that, when you're getting started as a fresh 80 DK tank, you use the spec that reflects your best available gear at the time. Trying to force gear and hope for drops for one methodology only adds to your aggravation when a critical loot drop doesn't happen or when a PUG party member needs it as well. I had every intent of going 2H as I didn't like what felt like "gimmicky" DW tanking. I had the HARDEST time getting a decent 2H to drop at the outset, and I also had to deal with the repeated complaints about my gearscore because of it.

But I stuck with it, and before I knew it I'd been through H FoS twice and was able to need on two of Bronjahm's axes ... and my spec/weapon choice was made for me. I'd been using the De-Raged War Axe from Amphitheatre up until that time. I changed my talent distribution to pick up dual wield and haven't looked back since.

I really didn't notice a great difference in the way 2H/DW play out, but I noticed a definite increase in performace with the ilevel 232 items and the threat I was able to put out. Since that time I've acquired some of the 1H's from ICC10 and it's further cemented my spec for the time being. If I ever manage to get Saurfang to drop his axe, I might think about switching back for the great boost to EH, but until that time, I'm DW.

So what do you have the Nightttimes runeforged with? What kind of difference have you noticed in your DPS/total damage? As I only tank heroics, ICC axes are out of the question for me, but if I can get a good DW set up from heroic drops then maybe I go with it.

On a related note, if I currently use a 2H for tanking but I want to switch to DW, is it wrong for me to roll need on a Nighttime if one drops while I'm tanking and a DPS with me wants it as well?

Quote Originally Posted by lawman30 View Post
    So what do you have the Nightttimes runeforged with? What kind of difference have you noticed in your DPS/total damage? As I only tank heroics, ICC axes are out of the question for me, but if I can get a good DW set up from heroic drops then maybe I go with it.

On a related note, if I currently use a 2H for tanking but I want to switch to DW, is it wrong for me to roll need on a Nighttime if one drops while I'm tanking and a DPS with me wants it as well?
    I've actually had several of them before I replaced them (and race changed which cost me the orc racial). I put Nerubian Carapace on the first two for the effective health and, when starting out, for the defense rating. I think at one point I had others with Fallen Crusader and Spellbreaking that I could swap in.

If you're running with DPS in FOS who might use the axe I'd be up front and ask if you can roll for your tanking spec as you're looking to dual wield them. Chances are most DPS have seen them a ton too and/or have them or something better themselves. I see a bunch of them get sharded any more and chances are you'll easily have two after a couple days of targeted runs.

I don't recall the immediate effect on DPS, but I do remember that it became alot harder to lose the threat lead to others in the group. My DPS gradually improved as I collected more badges and was able to buy the Tier 9 armor and the 245 sigils. As your gearset improves you can easily swap in some DPS gear with your tanking gear, and it's not overly difficult to approach 3k DPS average for a heroic from start to finish.

+ Reply to Thread