+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to become a good raider

How to become a good raider

Hi there, I have recently dinged 80 and have done a lot of random dungeons. I am a death knight dps. Most of my gear is level 232/245/264 and I beleive I have good enough gear to start raiding but how do i do it? Everyone in chat only want to play with people who are extremely experienced in each and every raid. I really want to learn and get into as much raids as I can but do not know where to start. I will be very greatful for any help and advice given.

Kind Regards
    HectiiiK

The best advice I can give is join a guild that does raids. Preferably a casual style one till you get the hang of it.

PuGs are no place to learn anything.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

I agree with Bodasafa, but also notice that a good raiding guild is hard to find and aren't often looking for a DK dps (at least not on my server).
    I pugged most of my early raids and found a few things to be really handy.
    1) Know the fights before joining the group (especially for raids like voa, ony, and OS).
    2) Start with the easier and shorter raids, like voa and onyxia. If your faction dominates your server, then there will be voa runs every couple of hours. Start there, but know the fights (specifically, stay out of fire!).
    3) Check yourself on wow-heroes to see how your gear and raid difficulty match up. If you are newly 80, you might want to stay away from ICC25 runs until you get a little more experience under your belt.
    4) Make sure your spec is appropriate and desirable for raiding. Before I went frost tank, I was an unholy dps because I noticed that most other pug DK's were spec'd in blood. I went unholy because of the dps bonus unholy gives caster dps. It made me a little more desirable and less redundant.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Hello.

I was new to raiding when I first dinged my warrior tank to 80. After doing a few heroics and a few epics under my belt I went into Naxxramas with my guildies whom a majority was also new to the raiding game. (I still remenber the days when we wiped on Anub'Rekhan in the spider wing.) Over time though we did a lot of research on our classes and boss encounters and after a month in a half we downed KT and was anixously waited the arrival of Ulduar. All and all I think the fact that I was learning how to raid with other people who were also in the same boat I was helped me that much more into bettering my toon and learning fights. So my advice to you would be learn how to be ur class by checking out this site and elitest jerks, Learn Encounter Mechanics, and do your first few raids with guildies or close friends. Thats what helped me when I was new to raiding hope this helped.

Happy Tanking

look around for a casual type of guild like boda said. these types of guilds usually have a lower requirement for gear/experience. even if a guild isn't recruiting specifically for a dk dps, look and see if they are looking for a warrior or pally, as usually they are looking for either a specific raid buff or just a plate dps in general to grab up unwanted/unneeded gear. talk to the officers and see what they are looking for as well. even put in an application if available and make sure it is well written, since many guilds will accept a person with a great app even though they aren't specifically looking for that class/spec.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

The first thing I would recommend is watching the wonderful raid guides here on TankSpot, to get a good feel for the encounters. Then try a couple PuGs of something easy, like VoA. Once you get the idea of what it's like working with 10/25 other people, ask around and find a nice casual guild.

Watch the situational awareness video by Ciderhelm. I know it's geared to tanks, but I swear to you if I was ever masochistic enough to run a guild that would be required to raid with us. There's 4 steps to being a good raider

1) Knowing your class and how to play.
    2) Understanding the mechanics of a fight
    3) Being able to be aware of your surroundings and respond accordingly
    4) Combine the 3 above steps to maximize your efficiency in your role while still maintaining survivabiilty (remember, missing one spell costs you some dps, dying costs you ALL of it)

Thank you for the advise given I am already in a guild with a few experienced players which want to do raids so I have set one or a few up for the weekend XD I have been studying all the videos on here, I am also given myself like a bit of 'coursework' to do which is to make a booklet to make myself of every encounter just so I get it stuck in my head. I don't want to forget and panic when the time comes lol on wow heroes the only instance in yellow is icc25 and that is only a cm inside yellow , everything else is in the green but I do not want to jump in the deep end too quickly, going to work my way up the scale :P in hcs, I do have a competitive dps with others in the group.

One more thing, I have read the post about using the keyboards not clicking. I have always found it easier myself to click as I do not have a table for my keyboard, I just rest it on my lap and it is constantly being moved an inch and I keep on losing each key :P Is it detrimental to get some new furniture or am I safe to make do with what I am currently doing?

Quote Originally Posted by HectiiiK View Post
    Thank you for the advise given I am already in a guild with a few experienced players which want to do raids so I have set one or a few up for the weekend XD I have been studying all the videos on here, I am also given myself like a bit of 'coursework' to do which is to make a booklet to make myself of every encounter just so I get it stuck in my head. I don't want to forget and panic when the time comes lol on wow heroes the only instance in yellow is icc25 and that is only a cm inside yellow , everything else is in the green but I do not want to jump in the deep end too quickly, going to work my way up the scale :P in hcs, I do have a competitive dps with others in the group.

One more thing, I have read the post about using the keyboards not clicking. I have always found it easier myself to click as I do not have a table for my keyboard, I just rest it on my lap and it is constantly being moved an inch and I keep on losing each key :P Is it detrimental to get some new furniture or am I safe to make do with what I am currently doing?
    Using keybinds if you can learn to do it is far superior than clicking.

I personally have not been able to make the full switch even with having a G-13 game pad. I do a combination of keybinds and clicking.

That said get a table
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

+ Reply to Thread