+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior Tanking 37/0/34, impressions on 3.3.3

Warrior Tanking 37/0/34, impressions on 3.3.3

So, here i am, just spent my first evening tanking with the rather uncommon 37/2/32 unrelenting aussault - revengespam built.

some conclusions:

1.) Tanking icecrown Raidbosses appears to be rather difficult. Many of them attack pretty slow, and due to the -20% dodge, revenge is far from 100% uptime. I only tried it on Marrowgar, which worked pretty well. I can't really recall how much DPS i could pull of while tanking, but revenge crits for around 12000 damage, on a 1 second cooldown. Anyways, it's been a lot more than what i could pull of, say, yesterday.

2.) Tanking heroics works awesome. The ability to really ae-mass-tank suffers a lot, since u can't specc into shockwave or even damage shield, but using the cleave-glyph and spamming revenge like there's no tomorrow, i could pull of 8500 dps overall in Utgarde Keep heroic, and around 7k dps on Utgarde Pinnacle Heroic.

3.) I got the recount-log from Emalon, the wind-boss in Archavons Chamber, right in front of me. 16900 DPS in that fight, 69% of overall damage coming from revenge, which hits for 8k noncrit and 20k crits (each maximum values).

Short conclusions:

Works awesome on trash, and it's really fun to play for an hour or two, just spamming that one button. Being heavily dependent on Revenge, this build only works at its best if you can asure 100% Revenge uptime, so it's kinda crappy against slow hitting enemies or even casters.

Just my two cents, excuse my english.

Greetings, livion

edit: On that 17k-dps Emalon kill, i wore a lot of dps-gear, i have to add. Anyways pretty impressive^^

hi livion,

that's sound realy impressive^^

I test it by my own in the new 3 heroics yesterday (raid is tomorrow) and revengespam is amazing. I run with my normal specc 15/3/53 and only a dps mace (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47973) and trinket (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50342), the other eq is normal tanking stuff. The performance was very nice, spamming revenge, cleave, hold thunder, slam and shock on cd. I pull 5,5 - 6k dps on 3-4 mob groups and did also 12k revenge crits. On group revenge has normally 100% up, because of the many hits. So in my runs yesterday i had normal geared dd's and they pull around 6-6,5k dps on this groups and i don't have to tab any target to hold aggro, they all glue on me :-) and that's form the beginning of the fight with bombing lock and hunter. I think is a very nice change for warri aoe tanking, i will only miss the old revenge on my pvpprot, sometimes.

regards devil

Here's the log from that evening, check out the emalon fight. : )

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/n...=11108&e=11199

Greetings, livion

pulled 6.5k on marrowgar =]

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    pulled 6.5k on marrowgar =]

mind telling your spec/glyphs ?

thanks alot

should be on my profile right now. look up Kazeyonoma on us wow armory, i'm the only one i think.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Well I ran my first 37/2/34 random heroic this morning. It was a HOR group where they had taken down the 1st boss prior to my arrival.
    Now I may not have the perfect build and I failed to drag mortal strike to my tool bar and didn't once try to use rend but at the end of the run I was 2nd in overall dps with 4114. I basically spammed revenge and cleave. I used TC whenever possible.
    67.5% Revenge
    11.6% Cleave
    5.1% Melee
    4.3% Thunder Clap
    3.6% Shield Slam
    3.2% Heroic Strike
    3.0% Deep Wounds

I did lose a mage in the gaunlet run and I REALLY miss charge. But overall I will surely be using this again on heroics and will be curuios how the dps is in ICC10 on Tuesday.

Especially in HoR I would severely miss warbringer since I always tank in the open.
    Did you tank them in the Alcove of Death?
    How much damage did you take given you couldn't AoE stun stuff whenever you felt overwhelmed?

HoR and PoS/Slope of Death and the caster goups in FoS must be a nightmare to tank as UA.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Yep tanked them in the cove. I epuiped my Grim Troll and old Heroism 84 crit trinkets otherwise I left my normal ICC/Badge gear on. Health is down aobut 2K to 41k (unbuffed) and around 31k armor so incoming damage wasn't a problem- the healer was decent though. I ran with cleave-heroic strike-revenge as my glyphs.

I'm excited to run some more heroics this weekend. I'd like to also test the standard tank build as I haven't done that yet to see how much the DPS goes up just from the changes in 3.3.3 I always ran with cleave-devistate-sunder glyphs on heroics on the normal build.

By the way, when tanking with UA, the sweeping strike glyph seems more useful to me than heroic strike or revenge. battlestance -> sweeping strikes -> charge -> defstance -> TC -> revengespam/cleave.

Greetings, livion

Sweeping strikes does work nice. Thanks for the tip.

I actually used a build similar to this when I was leveling. When I discovered it, I was telling people about it and they said I was crazy. But they didn't try it out to see for themselves. I was easily killing mobs many levels higher than me that should've probably killed me, but once that Revenge procs, it was pretty much over.

The damage increase in the recent patch is really nice, but even before that, with this build; Revenge still hit pretty damn hard. I actually tested it in the arena as well. 3-5 hits would usually kill pretty much anything. I wouldn't mind seeing a dual-wield spec with this.

Dual-wielding makes this kinda awkward to play, i guess. No Shield, no blocking, which means less revenge-uptime. Additionaly, not being able to at least cast shield slam, while revenge is unusable, what else could you cast? zerkerstance->whirlwind? Not much else you could do.

Pulled over 10K dps on the trash up to Marrow on ICC25 last night. Switched to my main tank spec on bosses.....
    Ended with 4771 dps in Herioc HoL this morning.

Yeah, UA is amazing in heroics and against trash. I equip about half tank gear, half DPS, and use a 37/2/32 build, with Mace Spec for the added ArmPen. I only have 505 Def with my gear choices, but in heroics the EH of 28k Armor and 40K health keep me far away from being killed. I use Whispering Fang Skull and Needle Encrusted Scorpion as Trinkets. 18% Crit, Hit Capped, 20 Exp , and only a couple of % short of being Soft ArmPen capped for when NES procs to take me to 100%, 4092 AttkPwr. I use Glyphs of Cleaving, Revenge, and Sweeping Strikes.

It is a lot of fun to do 7-8K overall damage in heroics, the reaction from DPS classes are classic. On certain pulls I pull 12K dps, but on Bosses and single targets it is around 6k.

If you want to be hard on your healers you can use mostly DPS gear and really get big numbers....

Quote Originally Posted by gravelayer View Post
    Pulled over 10K dps on the trash up to Marrow on ICC25 last night. Switched to my main tank spec on bosses.....
    Ended with 4771 dps in Herioc HoL this morning.
    Yeah, I did 9k on Morrow trash in 10 man last night, our raid leader (A frost DK that averages around 9k) was like wtf......

priceless, now lets keep it down or GC will hear us.....

Lost the will to tank sometime ago, but reading through this thread makes me start to reach for my shield once more...

Can't wait to queue for some Heroics as a tank and give it a try

"Looks like the UA spec got nerfed, looks like it only provides 1 charge per Revenge"

+ Reply to Thread