+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Off-Tankadin Talent Choices?

Off-Tankadin Talent Choices?

Hello, and thank you kindly for taking an interest in my thread and for any help you may provide me with.

I've recently gained the Kingslayer title on my Holy Paladin, thus I'm growing pretty tired of raiding as a Holy Paladin and I feel like I've achieved my goal in that spec. Over the past few months I've gained a pretty decent set of Tanking gear everything from heroic goodies to some higher iLvL raid pieces.

I'm currently D-Capped and have about 32-34k HP or so depending on my gear choices, nothing amazing I know. Raid buffed once I change a few gems around I'd predict at lease 40k HP. I'm looking at starting my tanking career off as just an off-tank/heroic tank. I have never before this done much tanking, did a little bit in TBC but nothing extreme. So not too experienced, and definitely not enough to try to find a Main Tank position.

So my question is, what would be good builds for a starting off-tank/heroic tank?

I'm not sure if I would just use a standard tanking build or try to shift some points around to offer some more utility, I'm not even sure if Paladin make great off tanks to be honest. The heroic tanking build spec I'm sure would be a standard build maybe with some slightly different talent choices to help with AoE tanking trash mobs.

Mainly what I'd like to see is some variants on an off-tank spec for Paladins that might offer some good utility to the raid/party I might be in. Maybe even daring enough to go into Aura Mastery for for awesome resistances? Just a thought.

Thank you again very kindly for any help you can provide me with, I look forward to getting some amazing responses from this community.

-Spiderz

As a dedicated off-tank (trash/heroic tanking, no hard hitting raid bosses) I would focus my build on threat>utility>survivability. If you agree with this, here are a few things to do that will help.

Spec: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0x...ufzxsbt0c:N0Gm
    I would never, never recommend a build like this for anyone main tanking, but you're not doing that. What you will be doing is running threat sensitive 5 mans with a bunch of dps you don't know who will let their AoEs rip the second you touch anything and the occasional raid where probably everyone outgears you. This will help. I saw you were talking about picking up aura mastery... nice idea, but there is no way to take that without losing a ton of threat which, as I said, will probably be your main issue when undergeared in raids/heroics.

Gear:
    Try to get the slowest, highest ilevel (similar to your current wep) one hander you can find as soon as possible. It doesn't have to be a tank wep, and it probably won't be since most tank weps in game are made to not bone warrior HS spam (and are hence 1.5-1.6 speed). The reasoning here is that with reckoning, a 2.5-2.7 speed weapon, and seal of command you will be an AoE threat beast. I've messed around with this before and it is a big improvement. In fact, I can out-dps many of my guild's raiders with a build like this with a good slow weapon and a mix of ret gear. After you're done with your off-tank/heroic phase of your tanking career, a good slow wep will likely still be superior on trash (unless they nerf SoC to the ground) so it won't be a bad investment anyway.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I was actually messing around with a build similar to this on my 70 Paladin and am only one level from SoC I found a few videos of people using it on YouTube pulling amazing DPS on trash in heroics so I'll probably level my 70 through the new LFG system and maybe do some lower level PvP as prot since Ret just bores the hell out of me.

Here's a link to my 80 Paladin's armory so that you might take a look at it and tell me how it's looking so far, have a huge variety of iLvL gear but have an awesome starter wep and shield for myself and am right at the D-Cap with 32k self buffed.

Armory: 80 Paladin I'm also exalted with the Ashen Verdict too so I could trade in my Healing ring for the Tanking one if I wanted.

I'm sure I have some less than perfect gearing/gem/enchant choices due to me not having immediate access to great gear and have a shallow pocket as far as gold goes at the moment.

Thank you very much again for your help.
    Last edited by Spiderz; 03-25-2010 at 01:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread