+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pit of Saron Ice Tunnel as a DK tank

Runes force a rhythm on the DK, even on those infrequent occasions where the rhythm is somewhat off the encounter's beat. POS tunnel is one.

To fix it, I rolled a Prot War w/ Engineering instead, and Charge, Intercept, and Nitro boost all the way through, spamming Shockwave, TC, Demo Shout, Devastate, Revenge, and Shield Slam, and popping SW, Last Stand, and SB at the end till the dps catches up. Fun fun fun

I've just done it for the first few times on my new bear. Now that is OMG easy...

Unholy tank reporting in.

My aoe threat is generally better than blood, but I still struggle to NOT die during said area. IBF is my lover during this pull. I don't think I've ever not popped it, and I rarely pop it anywhere else.

Any new tanks trying to get through, go slow. Tell your group "I'm going to make frequent stops, and we're going to mop up each group as we come to them". It turns it from "hope to god we don't die" AOE pull to "casual dps on mobs while avoiding icicles" jog, and in general it's easier on the entire group.

When I'm dpsing on my other toon its far too easy to pull aggro on that middle platform while tanks struggle under the strain of the aoe damage cap. Slowing the pace prevents that omen "YOU'RE DRAWING TOO MUCH AGGRO" sound we all hate to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    Runes force a rhythm on the DK, even on those infrequent occasions where the rhythm is somewhat off the encounter's beat. POS tunnel is one.

To fix it, I rolled a Prot War w/ Engineering instead, and Charge, Intercept, and Nitro boost all the way through, spamming Shockwave, TC, Demo Shout, Devastate, Revenge, and Shield Slam, and popping SW, Last Stand, and SB at the end till the dps catches up. Fun fun fun
    ROTFL........ Nice fix.

Reminds me.... They just gave [Victory Rush] to level 7 warriors. O_o
    Yes.... I'm hooked.
    No one tanks in a void.........

I usually try to be as inappropriate as possible with my groups, asking if they want to take half or the whole thing.

If I am only doing half, I lead in BB's and such to get base threat, upon reaching the middle platform I target the revnant, drop DND, and go to town.

If you want to do it an even easier way (and have a rogue with you) you can do the entire tunnel in 1 big run, alternating BB's with DND's when you can, once you get to the middle get the revnant like normal and spread your diseases, if kept close enough, you should be able to pest and BB your diseases onto every mob in the tunnel while the rogue tricks/fans along with you.
    The Pwnstar Puddin, Now in a Fun Sized Goblin Shell.

I've run Pit several times with the AotD popped from mid tunnel after first batch of trash is cleared. Works like a charm. Mad props to Bosk for the idea.

Remember that Blood Boil still does damage even with no diseases up. I think we have a tendency to get a bit strict about sticking to our rotations even when the strat isn't working. If you want to use your standard rotation you're going to have to stop more often to spread your diseases and gather everything up. Break your rotation and just slap a few Blood Boils down and you'll get enough attention that your healer will be fine until you get to the next stop (elemental or end). Yeah, you won't have any blood runes when you get to the platform so you might want to save your Blood Tap so you can pop a DnD or a blood boil after a pest. (I think this is what Lucifer was saying too).

Quote Originally Posted by Leucifer View Post
    I've run Pit several times with the AotD popped from mid tunnel after first batch of trash is cleared. Works like a charm. Mad props to Bosk for the idea.
    Now pop army in the middle and move on pulling to the end

Quote Originally Posted by Bosk View Post
    I look for an opportunity to use AotD in every heroic
    Apparently you like to piss off your Rogues and Feral Cats because they are the only ones to take a massive DPS loss whenever AotD is up. Playing a Feral Cat as an alt has enlightened me as to why they hate AotD so much. If killing the trash quickly is important, AotD is not the ticket. If keeping all the trash off of you is important, then AotD is the ticket.

9 times out of 10, the tunnel goes awry because the DPS start in as you run up the tunnel. Any DPS worth their salt will pull aggro if they start in before you get to the first platform. Most are smart enough to wait. The rest just like to make the run longer than it needs to be. If the DPS hold back, and the healer is savvy enough to let you take some damage until you get to the middle before topping you off, you should have everything on you when you get there. Standard AoE rotation for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Denekawa View Post
    Apparently you like to piss off your Rogues and Feral Cats because they are the only ones to take a massive DPS loss whenever AotD is up. Playing a Feral Cat as an alt has enlightened me as to why they hate AotD so much. If killing the trash quickly is important, AotD is not the ticket. If keeping all the trash off of you is important, then AotD is the ticket.
    I have no interest in whatever the DPS loss people suffer in a heroic if I finish it faster and cleaner. It never actually occurred to me until you made this point that anyone else did, but I guess there may be some people.

Edit: To clarify, I regard people's dps as irrelevant in heroics. I can't remember when I last cared about it.

Frost tank.

I also refuse to allow people to dps until the first platform, or at the end of the tunnel. My job, as a tank, is to keep the Healer alive, who keeps me (primarily) and the other people alive. If I let the healer die in the tunnel (or anywhere else) then I fail as a tank. DPS are in charge of keeping themselves alive. I use Skull Me to mark my target so the DPS can switch as I do, and I can keep AOE threat with D&D & HB unless one of the dps fails and pulls them off me, which gets them dead and I don't lose any sleep over it. I'll watch it happen and then deathgrip the mob back to me before it swings at the healer. It's not my job to respond to fail dps as they fail, it's my job to take most of the damage...but as long as the tank and healer are still standing you can finish them off.

I do allow the healer to heal in the tunnel on the way up, as I pass mobs I will BB for the first 2 non-elites, then BB the elites with a HB. I pop my Empower Rune Weapon to reset my cooldowns, pop another BB (and by this point am at the first platform) then I drop a D&D and hit a deathchill/HB combo to lock up the AOE threat. I single target the main elite and use it/ps and pestilence to lock even more aggro, then pop HB and BB whenever they come up. Rinse & repeat at the top level, but there are usually more mobs up there so I'll make sure I have IB and at least one more CD ready. Icks & Skeleton key being my current 2 choices for heroics, I have plenty of CD's to pop just in case.

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

I have had the most fun tanking this place as a DK. It's one of the few places in the game where you can use all your cooldowns and everyone expects you to run through pulling half the place at a time.
    I'm Frost, though, not blood. What I do is just go through, call up my army and start running, hit the first group with an HB, hit the second group of small adds with a blood boil, then throw down DnD on the platform. I often use my trinket cooldown on this first run in. After this group is cleared (sometimes I have to use unbreakable armor depending on healer's gear level), I pop up my ghoul and move on, using the same HB, BB, DnD at the end. I often use fortitude as I'm running down this second part. The reason I pulled out my ghoul is so that once I get to the end, if the healer is still moving up I can death pact.

Another option is to use your runes singularly, icy touching and plague striking and blood boiling things as you go up, as you are Blood. You would use different cooldowns overall, but still. It's a fun place to use all your cooldowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosk View Post
    Now pop army in the middle and move on pulling to the end
    That's what I've been doing. At the middle platform, after clearing the first series of garbage.... pop AotD.... run to top. And yes.... still works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Denekawa View Post

9 times out of 10, the tunnel goes awry because the DPS start in as you run up the tunnel. Any DPS worth their salt will pull aggro if they start in before you get to the first platform. Most are smart enough to wait. The rest just like to make the run longer than it needs to be. If the DPS hold back, and the healer is savvy enough to let you take some damage until you get to the middle before topping you off, you should have everything on you when you get there. Standard AoE rotation for the win.
    Wow. I'm sorry but this is just a fine example of why wipes happen and just one of the more thoughtless comments I've seen.
    Let's break this down:

Apparently you like to piss off your Rogues and Feral Cats because they are the only ones to take a massive DPS loss whenever AotD is up
    WHO GIVES A RATS ASS WHAT YOUR DPS IS IN A HEROIC!?!?!?!?!?!? OMG. I FORGOT! THE ROGUE/FERAL CAT IS THE ONLY PERSON IN THE GROUP, RIGHT? Get over yourself. So, you suffer a small dps loss. Whoopdeedoo. How about the clothies that I'd like to see survive to the end? Or how about that ROGUE that I'd like to see survive? Oh, that's right. You're mindlessly just blasting away at the closest thing to you. One of my jobs as the tank is to keep agg so that the dps can survive. Hey..... pop quiz. How much dps can you do...... when you're dead?

I have a funny feeling you'd be one of the few times where I let the "You pull it, you tank it" rule take effect.

If killing the trash quickly is important, AotD is not the ticket. If keeping all the trash off of you is important, then AotD is the ticket.
    Sure it is. Cause they pull massive aggro. With every hit, they rip the agg off whatever mob they hit. So you CAN beat on a mob.... and enjoy not having that mob pummeling you because AotD has their focus. Let's take a better example...... HoR. That final stretch. I use AotD there a lot of times because of the same reason. I can pop it when things get ugly and know that my little ghouls will be getting slammed instead of my dps'ers. That and frequently there, instead of targeting ONE mob... I see dps each going after their own target. I only have so many taunts available to me. Pit isn't much different in that tunnel.

9 times out of 10, the tunnel goes awry because the DPS start in as you run up the tunnel.
    Agreed. Fully and wholeheartedly AGREED.

Any DPS worth their salt will pull aggro if they start in before you get to the first platform. Most are smart enough to wait. The rest just like to make the run longer than it needs to be.
    A monkey sporting a tire iron and a raging case of poo-flinging would pull aggro there. And NO. Most are NOT SMART ENOUGH TO WAIT. I usually have to TELL the group to wait and not dps until the middle platform. If I don't.... well... I get a feral kitty or rogue going all "hero" on me.

If the DPS hold back, and the healer is savvy enough to let you take some damage until you get to the middle before topping you off, you should have everything on you when you get there. Standard AoE rotation for the win.
    Agree. IF the dps hold back. The healer.... I usually whisper them and tell them what I need. So long as my healer stays alive.... I can make it through the whole tunnel WITHOUT dps (to be blatantly and completely honest). I just like to have everyone survive and ensure everyone has a good run. And yes.... standard rotation at the middle platform.........
    THEN I POP AotD for the second part of it up. On the way up that second stretch, Army picks off all the loose crap that usually jumps on dps so they can follow me up and clear the tunnel. Then the trash on it's way up runs straight into the DnD I lay down at the top (if they survive).

Really.... the problem with the tunnel is usually this.....
    ......over-zealous, itchy trigger-finger dps who just can't hold off from killing shit for two seconds
    Probably the first thing that jumped out to me as a tank when I first got heavily into it was this:
    A lot of dps players are very mindless/unaware/unattentive of what they're doing and are not really "thinking" when they're playing. I see it every day. I'll be honest, it's made me a better player when I do play dps because I see how it can help/hurt a situation.

Oh, and you may quote me on that.
    Last edited by Leucifer; 04-14-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Edited to tone down my old "kill" reflex. Amazing how the military can still have that affect after all this time....

+ Reply to Thread