+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starcraft 2 commentator

Starcraft 2 commentator

Ok, so i found this awesome commentator called HDstarcraft. He commentates alot of games and he is an active member on youtube. One of the best commentators out there imo. All the vids he uploads are in HD too so you dont have to worry about that either.
    So if you are interested in starcraft 2 and want to see what it is like look at some of his vids and subscribe

Btw, he is not a friend or myself, i just wanna share this
    Last edited by Ciderhelm; 11-06-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Advertising links not permitted.

HD Starcraft is a good commentator, if you wanna learn more to be better at SC2 i would recommend Sean "day9" Plott, he has a archive at day9tv.blip.tv for his past dailies and he does a show every sunday through thursday at 7pm PDT at ustream.tv/day9tv

Hmmmm... Two new registrants and their first posts are speaking highly of two highly qualified commentators. Carry on.

From everything I hear, Day9 is the top of the field, and HD/Husky are amateur commentators without a full understanding of the game. If you want the very best in the field, follow Thamiorr's suggestion and check out Day9.

http://www.day9tv.blip.tv

to be fair, HD is fairly competent as a player, he just misses stuff sometimes because he focuses on certain aspects of the game and lets stuff get past him as a caster (it happens to everyone, that's why duo's tend to work best). Husky is not nearly on the same level as day9, or even the casting archon (artosis/tasteless, aka tastosis). day9 gives the most indepth casting while making it both noob and high level player friendly.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I wouldn't put HD on the same level as Husky (sorry Husky). Definitely, Day9 is currently the "king of the hill" in SC2 commentating. However, I'll elaborate on why he is so good, and what separates him from others.

Day9's commenting, first, and foremost, generates excitement. Generating excitement is HUGE in E-sports, just as it is in any other sport. If the commentator is boring, the event can often be boring. When you get a commentator who is genuinely excited and shares than enthusiasm and energy, the event gains a sense of vibrancy that it would otherwise not have.

Second, Day9's commentating is accurate. This is also important. Caster's don't always have to be correct, but the more often they are correct the more power they give to you, as the viewer, to know what's going on, and that will make anyone at any level of play or understanding feel good and engaged with the action. Thus, when Day9 says "Oh, player has this and this, he's likely going for X" he's usually right. A lot of other commentators try to predict and fail. The fact that Day9 is so often successful in his live commentating is something which really separates him from other commentators. Lots of commentators bring excitement, but few of them are as accurate as Day9 is.

Third, Day9's commentating is instructional. As Kazey said, high and low level players can learn a lot from his commentating. This isn't considering the dailies he puts out. A player might never watch his dailies, and still learn from his commentating. Granted, his dailies are even better for instruction, since they're tailored for it, but players who know nothing about Starcraft 2 can learn just by watching the live matches he casts, and players who know a lot already will also learn. This breadth of knowledge and being able to help a broad spectrum of players is also what separates him. A lot of other casters may be able to help people with some understanding but a fairly low-level of player, but then fail to bring in complete and utter newbies, and lack the depth to help out higher-level players. Even pros, such as HuK, with all of their ego, realize the value of Day9's commentating. That's a pretty high compliment to pay.

HD brings excitement, and he brings limited instruction as well. To me, this puts him as a better caster than Husky. Husky brings a lot of excitement, but often, in my opinion, over engages in the excitement, ending up being slightly obnoxious. It's a style some may like, but not one that I appreciate. And while he certainly knows the game, you tend to learn far less from his life commentating than HD or Day9.

I haven't seen enough Artosis and Tasteless to be able to comment on them, since I don't have a subscription to the GSL. However, from the one showing I did see, Artosis brings a fairly high-level of depth and accuracy, similar to Day9, whereas Tasteless brings the excitement. The two combined might equal a Day9, but Day9 himself is a great package. The three of them together, when the other two aren't bone tired (like at BlizzCon) would probably make an exceptional casting team, and I hope to see more of it.

Exaclty what Lulia said is why day nine is awesome. For HD I find he's more bareable then husky cause granted they are more both entertainment based, HD sounds better then husky (for example husky kinda sounds like going through puberty when something big is happening) and I feel that HD cares more for casting the game while husky is more for the estardom. Again personal preference and I not saying husky is horrible, just not my kinda caster.

As for tatseosis (tasteless and artosis) they are also a great set of casters mainly it's artosis who is better in my opinion since he brings a lot of excitement and is very knowing of what's happening (SO MANY BANELINGS one of his highly made into a song sayings). Tasteless (Day9 brother) is also a good caster, he kinda sits back a little more during the annalises part of games but is a good excitement bringer, also he does make a lot of jokes in the GSL casts that some, well most, are the corney nerdy type which I like. Also tasteless is the one that is the observer that we view the GSL games from and does a great job keeping us on the action and seeing the key structures and positioning we wanna see. Overall tasteless and artosis play VERY well off each other as well and are able to keep interest and give all the possible data that we need to know that's happening. Also it helps they both are avid players so they know the ins and outs of what's happening and the background of the players (if they are known and not up and coming). I feel that tasteless day9 and artosis are the three best casters/commentators out there now others will get up there but will have to take their notes from the trio.

I hope this isn't too off topic from this thread (if it is, I can just start a new one). I just got SCII, and have only played a little bit of Starcraft. You mentioned that Day9 is a great instructional resource, and I'm checking him out now. What are some other good resources for learning the game? What are some good fan communities to check out? The enthusiasm everyone here (especially lore) has for Starcraft has been infectious, and I finally broke down and paid the 60 bucks for it, which I'm sure I wont' regret.

http://www.teamliquid.net and Day[j] are basically all i use. There a wealth of info on team liquid but you do need to dig for it sometimes.

You are probably best to start off Day[9]'s Tuesday series. Nooby Tuesday, alot of his earlier stuff is pretty high level. TBH though just playing the game a hell of a lot is the best way to get the feeling for the mechanics of the games.
    Roll with the punches.

Yeah days nooby Tuesday is good for starting to learn if your looking for good ideas for strats is teamliquid.net there's a bunch of posts in their forums on what strats work and stuff that can help you learn. But for even more agreeing with irat if you know a friend with the game just do several games to figure out what you wanna play an to get some of the ideas from it, if that's not an opition you can always work with the the AI settings (total beginner go with very easy if you have an idea of basic rts games then easy or medium for hard and above might be too much for learning by yourself at the start). Also don't worry too much about placement for you can always work up the ladder and leagues. If you want to fight against/with me (in 2v2 or 3v3 or 4v4) my name is thamiorr 407 (name and code). Would be willing to help out :-)

Well, I finished downloading the game, and got to play a little this afternoon. I started with the tutorial, just in case it had any important information. Nothing I wasn't completely familiar with from other RTSs and the hour or so I played of StarCraft years ago. Then I started the single player training basic for each race. It seemed a decent way to get a quick overview of each race, as I had no idea what the capabilities of the different races were, or who I actually wanted to play. The Protoss really made me squee, but I still won't know until I've played several games with each race. Then I tried an AI match at very easy, since it let me take my time and look at each building and unit, and not worry about the computer doing much at all. I won (what an accomplishment!), and had fun at it.

My name in SCII is Laika, not sure what you mean about codes, but I'd definitely be up for doing games with you.

*clears throat* the donor forums has a pretty supportive community of all levels for Starcraft 2. *clears throat in stereo*

the code is what identifies you from other players who name themselves Laika, you can obtain this code by logging in, and hovering your mouse over your portrait on the top right.

day9 is your best bet, teamliquid is the best esports/sc2 website for the western world, and really just play play play, lose lose lose, win lose win lose, and keep playing more, learn from your mistakes, watch your replays and see where you feel behind or made a mistake, and feel free to post here or on teamliquid (be ready to get flamed a bit at teamliquid, although if you state that you're new, they're normally sympathetic) for advice. And yes as Eoika says, there is a pretty supportive/sized community in the Donor forums here, and Myself and Lore even are holding a friendly tournament right now.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Oh, I was a donor until very recently, when the subscription ran out, and I was financially hard pressed enough that I didn't resubscribe. I even let my WoW account lapse! Although if I can afford to pick up SCII now, I should probably get on the ball and subscribe again :-) You're certainly making me want to.

yeah i just upgraded my account now so i can get more info on the later SC tourneys if you do more, i would love to join :-D

I see Lulia in Day9's chat right now!

Day9 ftw!
    "Kyle, this is the way the world works. If you want to find quality friends, you have to wade through all the dicks first." -Cartman

I just got bumped to chat 2 without even reloading. Rawr,

ouch....got into chat one here, but i was in for about an hour :-)

I was in chat 1 for a few hours, like usual. And suddenly the chat just sort of reloaded. Not that it matters much, I never ask a question anyways . But maybe one day!

Well that was pretty sweet, and apparently my computer decided to freeze right when he started Q&A. I must say... banelings blowing marines up never gets old.

Now time for LEGENDARY!
    "Kyle, this is the way the world works. If you want to find quality friends, you have to wade through all the dicks first." -Cartman

+ Reply to Thread