+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advancing in a Guild

Advancing in a Guild

Three weeks ago I was fortunate enough to be accepted into an excellent raiding guild on server. During the period when my application was reviewed, the guild leader clearly stated that I was not geared enough to be in the main raid but would accept me for his second group. I am by no means the best player but I feel like I can pull my own weight and I've been dying to show the guild this.

During my weeks so far I've only been able to come in on one raid with them and the other weeks I ended up Pugging. I'm not trying to gun for a core position but it's really a bit frustrating when it feels like I've been barely given a trial period thus far. On Sundays the guild leader runs ICC 10 with his alt which when I asked about him, he explained as the Group 2 run. However even with these, I haven't been able to secure an invite. During my stay so far with them, I've only been able to raid once with them. My gear is definitely not top notch that much I know but it feels like the gap between the other members and I are getting bigger and there will be even less reason to bring me along.

Add on to the fact that I'm a Fury Warrior and for some reason, there's an influx of them in the guild that used to be casual that are suddenly asking for invites as well, I really don't know what to do. In the application I've applied as a raider because I want to be part of a progression and I understand that sometimes in order for the guild as a whole to progress, you have to be benched from time to time. But at the same time, I want to progress as well, are there any tips I can utilize to make my situation better? I've been logging on 15 minutes before invites go out, flasks, potions and food at the ready, fully repaired, properly enchanted and gemmed only to be turned down later. I don't really want to go out of my way to spam the Guild Leader with whispers as I'm pretty sure he has enough of those to worry about already, what should I do?

If I had a guild I'd have paid for your transfer to my server. Well, not really, but you sound like you'd be a good member of any decent raid team, just from your attitude, and it's a shame the guild you've joined is keeping you on the sideline.

Now, from my experiences if the guild doesn't want you in, you'd be better off finding a new home.

If that's not an option for you, I'm not sure how hardcore this guild is, but I have friends who did join top guilds, and they were usually sidelined for a few weeks before they were accepted into the guild as "real" members.
    Always strive for perfection, but realise you'll never reach it.

That's not an easy position to be in. My advice would be to talk to the GM in vent when he's not busy, and just outline all of what you've said above. If I were a GM it certainly would make me want to bring you along. You seem intelligent, motivated and ready to prove yourself. At the very least, you can ask him if there's anything you could do to improve your chances of getting a raid invite. After a respectful talk with the GM, if the situation doesn't improve over the next raid week or two, I would start exploring other guild options...

Also, are you staying available after a raid has started? Oftentimes top-end guilds will sub people out depending on the encounter, or if you're lucky someone will have RL / connection issues and have to drop. If you're still online (or parked outside the instance while on a guilded alt) you might get pulled in. Happened to me a few times when I was at the "trial" rank of my current guild.

In summation, I think communication is key. The guild may have a lot of members that you're getting lost in the crowd. It's hard as a new member to stand out sometimes, when you haven't been given a chance to make relationships or prove yourself in raids... so I would take the initiative and speak with the GM.

I've actually been in a not too dissimilar situation recently and honestly it's all about two things - communication and judgement.

You've got to tell the people who are in your potential raids how you feel. Do it in vent, do it when the leader isn't busy putting a group together, do it on any forums you might have etc. Just ask them, do you think I'll make it into the raid in X Weeks?

The judgement part comes in when you have to judge whether you want to stay and keep trying or move on. That obviously stems from what you hear from the communication and how much you want to risk staying and it not working out. Also look at the composition of your run, do they have room for your class?

Just be realistic about your prospects. On the one hand ICC is pretty much in full swing and many guilds have a decently stable roster of people. And on the other hand there are plenty of other groups out there (perhaps this one) that would be happy to have a decent person such as yourself.

Thank you all for the encouraging responses. The guild isn't strictly hardcore in how it has only two raid nights but it has managed to be server 6th on the Horde side in progression. I understand that players need to benched for progression but I didn't think it would extend to the second group whom they are just getting geared up maybe my expectations have been a bit high.

I'll try and catch the guild leader at some time when he's not busy and hopefully be able to talk to him.

+ Reply to Thread