+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6000GS Blood With THREAT issues! Going to give up soon...

6000GS Blood With THREAT issues! Going to give up soon...

Completely new to DK tanking & I am stressing out.

I have tanked NAXX and ULD with my Pally, but DK tanking is so much harder!

Have collected majority of the DK tanking pieces from a DPS role and have been reading tankspot everyday at work.

I can tank 5 mans without trouble, mind you Halls of Reflection gets a bit messy. And for raids I simply can't hold good aggro. I can peak 12K threat but the other tank has been topping 20k TPS.

I am currently a Blood Tank. Should I go offspec Frost for AOE tanking in raids or heroics?

My rotation is as follows:

IT, PS, DS, HS, HS, DEAD PERIOD, DS, HS, HS, HS, HS, DC, DC.....

AOE is not too much of a problem in Heroics but in definitely a problem in RAID with waves of ADDs.

Been trying and trying without too much success. Outgearing other types of tanks but loosing big time on threat.

Please advise!!! Is it my gems, rotation, talesnt?!

Also, would anyone be able to help me out with a Frost build for a 2H and with the rotations?!

Here is my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...=Haute&group=1

Thanks

Are you using rune strike?

Definately, it is macro'd to almost every ability.

/cast XXXXX
    /cast Rune Strike

How often do you throw in blood tap or blood boil in your aoe rotations? Blood spec gives blood boil more bite than the other specs have, so it'll produce a lot of aoe threat. Also try using blood tap in your single target rotations, it'll lessen that dead period. May want to try and work the Sudden Doom talent into your tree, free death coil = more threat.

Yea I have tried that, but say for instance while tanking a boss and a wave of adds come in that I should pick up, I would save that blood tap for them no?

And I have been hearing so much about expertise, yes and no... Do I really need it? I am at 14 only O_O and even if I do what should I replace?!

Blood AoE threat isn't as good as the others. Pick off casters or harder hitting mobs and let your other tanks handle AoE packs in 25s-man. Dreamwalker is a bitch for every tank, but that fight is more about single target control and smart rune usage than aoe pack control. LD heroic is really the only crazy fight.

BTW, where are you getting your numbers from? Those look like burst numbers rather than sustained.

The main reason you are struggling with single target threat is your abysmal expertise. You need to be above 20 to keep any consistency with your rotation. You should be at or above 26 to generate max threat, especially with the new ICC buff.

So all i should do i gem expertise? And im okay? What about a good frost build and rotation?

No. The easiest expertise is swapping T10 chest to badge chest. 2H Frost would probably work better for threat since you'll have more open GCDs for dodged and parried attacks.
    Last edited by Miste; 03-10-2010 at 07:24 PM.

But wouldnt I want the set bonus'?

But wouldnt I want the set bonus'?
    But we're not hearing you say "I need an extra cooldown because I'm getting owned in <insert fight name>." You're having threat problems.

I agree 100% with Miste. 14 expertise is way too low. Boost that and your threat will go up.
    Besides swapping out the t10 chest for the Cataclysmic Chestguard, you could also get your hands on the heroic Ramaladni's Blade of Culling. Same weapon dps as what you have now and all sorts of juicy expertise.

To be perfectly honest though, Blood is more of a single target MT spec. You're going to struggle with sustained aoe threat in raids. Get your hunters & rogues to misdirect/tricks you.

Your other option is to go to a single disease Frost spec with Howling Blast glyph. It makes aoe pulls dead simple - DnD, HB, BB and everyone is glued onto you. Not as good as a pally aoe threat, but definitely still very good.

The 4pc bonus is only necessary on certain fights. In normal mode, solo tanking LK is the only fight where it is a huge benefit. In heroic, there may be a few more fights where the survivability is needed. In those instances, you can swap in your 4th piece of T10 to get the bonus.

Sorry for the short answers earlier. Those were quick hits between other things. I took a little more time today to look at your gear. Here are some things you can do to increase your expertise or threat:

1. Change your glove enchant to expertise instead of stamina. There's always the 2% threat enchant since you're struggling with threat.
    2. The red sockets in your helm, belt and chest are perfect for exp/stam gems. They all give you a socket bonus of +9 stam or more.
    3. Switch to Cataclysmic Chestguard from frost badges.
    4. Get Ramaladni's Blade of Culling from DBS-10 or pray for Glorenzelg from LK when you down him.

Your spec is interesting for Blood tank, no Mark of Blood, no Blood Tap and no Will of the Necropolis; 3 in scent of Blood and I'm not a big a bit of overkill and I'm not a big fan of Subversion for tanking. It almost seems as if you're looking for dps, but giving a nod to tanking by taking 5 points in each of the basic tanking talents.

Since you have the 3 points in Morbidity and DnD glyphed, lead with DnD, then put a disease on your target, spread it and hit blood boil - at your gear level you should have no issues.

In all honesty, I use my Frost tank spec for trash/AoE and my blood spec for bosses. Frost makes AoE so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Your spec is interesting for Blood tank, no Mark of Blood, no Blood Tap and no Will of the Necropolis; 3 in scent of Blood and I'm not a big a bit of overkill and I'm not a big fan of Subversion for tanking. It almost seems as if you're looking for dps, but giving a nod to tanking by taking 5 points in each of the basic tanking talents.

Since you have the 3 points in Morbidity and DnD glyphed, lead with DnD, then put a disease on your target, spread it and hit blood boil - at your gear level you should have no issues.

In all honesty, I use my Frost tank spec for trash/AoE and my blood spec for bosses. Frost makes AoE so much easier.
    Thanks, would it be possible to see your talent tree for both specs and a rotation you use?

I have also updated my gems to get 27 Expertise now... Though i dropped alot of stam.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Same. I also tank a few fights like Festergut in Frost, where the longer cd's make a difference.

Single-target Blood (move pts around b/t Rune Tap, Morbidity, Improved Blood Presence, MoB, Hyst, as you prefer)

AoE Frost
    DnD - HB - BB - dump - repeat (OB when HB not available)

Re-glyph that spec to single-target Frost mid-raid. (assuming low hit rating, otherwise use Glyph of Disease, Frost Strike, UA, or whatever the situation calls for)
    IT - PS - BS - BS - OB - FS dump
    OB - OB - OB - FS dump
    HB when Rime procs

AoE Frost (no Windfury totem or Frost DPS DK in raid)

I carry around about 10 stacks of different glyphs so I can reglyph for certain encounters.

Regarding SoB in a Blood build, I tested this build in a few raids, looked at my combat logs afterward, and saw Death Coil doing only about 4% of my total threat. Concluded it's not worth spending talent points in Morbidity, SoB, or SD to buff that ability in Blood.
    Last edited by Kurtosis; 03-11-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Just tried Frost! Wow AOE is cake now! Very close to my Tankadin. Also, some say to boost threat with Frost Strike?

Now can someone tell me the best threat rotation for blood for boss tanking since I am going to carry the dual tank spec!

Quote Originally Posted by jai View Post
    Just tried Frost! Wow AOE is cake now! Very close to my Tankadin. Also, some say to boost threat with Frost Strike?

Now can someone tell me the best threat rotation for blood for boss tanking since I am going to carry the dual tank spec!
    Sorry for not responding sooner here's my Armory - this post kind of got burried. Glad you like Frost for AoE. I'm bad with rotations, I'm a bit all over the place after my initial PS, IT, BB; then look to keep diseases up and spam HS.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...one&gn=Imprint

+ Reply to Thread