+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fury 2H question - MH versus OH - Optimal Wep Design

Fury 2H question - MH versus OH - Optimal Wep Design

I'm still having trouble understanding what makes a good off-hand/main-hand weapon. I think I understand it, but not sure...

If you have 2 weapons, you always want the faster one with a smaller top-level damage in the OH, correct?

This is because the MH is the special attack hand so the higher max DPS is good? But you don't want a fast OH (less than 3.0) weapon because the lower max-damage gimps WW? So if you have two different weapons with the same DPS(ish) you put the slower one in the MH and the faster one in the OH?

Do proc abilities influence this decision at all?

Thanks

In general, whichever weapon has the highest top-end damage should go in your mainhand. AFAIK, weapon speed is irrelevant. I think almost all 2Handers are going to be between 3.4-3.6 weapon speed anyway.

Like you were wondering, proc abilities do influence this decision. The only case in which I would use a lower top-end damage weapon in mainhand would be if I had, for example, http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50415 and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49919. I would use Byrntroll in the MH slot, even though it hits for slightly less than Cryptmaker, because in the offhand you'll see so many fewer procs and Bryntroll would become less worthwhile.
    Last edited by Skyborn; 03-18-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks - Bryntroll is the classic example I see where people don't like it as an OH, but jumping into the game late, I don't think I ever found a good explanation as to why.

Basically Bryntroll has around an 11% proc chance on hit, and there's no internal CD... so the more hits you get in per minute, the more procs you'll see. If you keep it in OH you'll only be hitting during melee swings (which have a chance to miss) or during your WW's. If it's in the MH, you can proc off melee, WW, Cleave, Heroic Strike, Bloodthirst, Slam Procs and even Heroic Throws. It's just way better in the MH so you can take full advantage of the proc.

Edit: Also, Byrntroll has no DPS stats like extra crit, or armor pen... all it has is the proc. So if you're not maximizing your proc chances, you're really gimping the DPS that weapon can put out.

When I was using cryptmaker and byrntoll, I found it to be higher dps with bryntoll in the OH... 70 top end damage doesn't seem like much but considering that Bryntoll only procs about 4% of an entire fight, your best bet is to use the higher top end damage in the MH and find another weapon when you get one. This is just going from what I noticed in ICC when I was using those 2 weapons... The proc is lower for OH of course but I don't see it being a huge difference in either situational.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/mugthol/Saal/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by SixStringsXD View Post
    When I was using cryptmaker and byrntoll, I found it to be higher dps with bryntoll in the OH....
    you found with a spreadsheet/rawr or by just looking at recount?

heroic dual blade butcher is better in my main hand over cryptmaker, even if it's slightly lower wep dmg. the reason is that i can use the expertise orc racial to drop some expertise on gear while keeping expertise cap and boost my arp with more arp pieces. now, i don't know the dps value of bryntoll's proc, it may or may not be as good as the dps i gain from the added arp over the lower wep dmg in my main hand.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

I can see how it would be a tad different as Orc, i myself am Tauren and don't think about the expertise racial. Using Landsoul's I was actually quite amazed at what it was telling me - if I remember correctly it was saying with Byrntoll in MH and Crypt in OH it was about 180 more dps - but when I tested in in ICC and switched the weapons up the next week, I found Cryptmaker in the MH to do more damage.

I guess it is sort of hard to say definitively as I may have had more T10 slam procs one week over the other, so a certain part of it is pretty RNG to me... I think on average, Bryntoll was about 3-4% of my total damage in the MH and it was still usually about 2% in the OH.

Just try to get rid of your Bryntoll as fast as possible, not the best weapon for a fury warrior at all :P
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/mugthol/Saal/advanced

yeh, bryntoll is better for arms since they are hit capped for white attacks as well as specials. for fury it's not that hot, even in the main hand.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

+ Reply to Thread