+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keyboard

Keyboard

So I tried to use a Gamepad (tried both the Logitech G13 and the Belkin N52te) and it just isn't going to work for me. So I'm looking at getting a gaming keyboard. I currently play with the wireless Apple keyboard and it does alright, but I want to get something that's going to do a lot better. For mice I have the Logitech MX Revolution and the Razer Naga. I game mainly with the Naga. I'm really just asking here which keyboard you would recommend and to see what's out there. Was eyeing the Razer Lycosa. I'm trying to stay in the $60-$80 price range. If it makes much of a difference, I do run on a Mac. For my day to day Mac tasks, I would still use my Apple keyboard, so the lack of the command and Apple only keys don't bother me, I just need to make sure it'll work on a Mac.

http://store.razerzone.com/store/raz...oryId.35156900 There it is. Look in the Technical Specifications section. Under system requirements.

It wasn't that hard at all to find out... Mac people. *sigh*

I would also do a google on the subject. "Lycosa Mac Support" would be enough and see what people are saying. Maybe there is a way to get it to work on a mac.

EDIT: Old habits are bad. Do a BING search. Much better.
    ----

Last note, when getting your next computer buy or make your own and install WINDOWS. Mac hardware is atrocious. You can even hackintosh the PC you get, as long as you don't buy a physical mac computer.

Read my post, I wasn't asking if the Lycosa works with Mac, I can find that out quite easily. I was asking for recommendations of keyboards in my price range that people know work with Mac.

I reread your post. And then I did it again. It still looks to me as though the razer lycosa was something you were curious about. And included in your search for a keyboard. I just narrowed down your list.

And if you can find out that the razer lycosa doesn't work with mac easily, why can you not find other keyboards?

I'm sorry for having come to TankSpot for advice and information, last I checked, that's where I went for that. For flaming, I usually just stuck to the official forums and trade chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Imriela View Post
    I'm sorry for having come to TankSpot for advice and information, last I checked, that's where I went for that. For flaming, I usually just stuck to the official forums and trade chat.
    Alright since Nezebu wasn't very helpful...

The Razer Lycosa, or any other Razer keyboard (with the exception of their Pro|Solutions line of products) do not have drivers for Mac, and therefore won't work on a Mac.

Now, by "not working", let me clarify. If you plug the keyboard in, it will still work. You will still be able to type. The Mac will just detect it as a normal Windows keyboard and basically turn the Windows button into the Command button. However, the multimedia keys on the top right, the built in sound output, and any macro/custom programmability features will not work. (The integrated USB port will work though).

If your looking for a Razer gaming keyboard for Mac, try the Pro|Type: http://www.razerpro.com//index.php?o...d=38&Itemid=49
    It is exactly the same as the Razer Tarantula (http://store.razerzone.com/store/raz...oryId.35156900) but dipped in white paint instead of black. The only difference other then that is the Pro|Type has an iPod dock while the Tarantula has a "BattleDock" or whatever they call it.

I believe Logitech has a gaming keyboard that has full Mac support, but since I hate Logitech products with a passion (except for their speakers), I wouldn't know which model.
    Last edited by Helgi; 03-25-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Unfortunately the Pro|Type is out of my price range.

The macro feature isn't technically allowed to be used in WoW by their ToS anyways, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Imriela View Post
    Unfortunately the Pro|Type is out of my price range.

The macro feature isn't technically allowed to be used in WoW by their ToS anyways, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Actually the macro feature is allow as long as it does not surpass the ability what in-game macros can do (in which case, why not just do in-game macros in the first place?).

But anyway... for the Lycosa... I guess it all comes down to if you need the audio ports or the media controls in the top corner. If you plug it in to a Mac, the Windows key becomes the Control, and F12 becomes eject, so you'll have all the keys there that you need.
    _________
    Edit: I just plugged my Arctosa to my Macbook Pro (running 10.6.2) and it worked flawlessly (with the obvious exception of no drivers). But the media keys worked perfectly with iTunes. (The Arcosa doesn't have an extra USB port, sound jacks, or back lighting, so couldn't test those.)

Not sure why the Lycosa doesn't work and the Arctosa works, expecially since the Arctosa is basically a stripped down mod of the Lycosa. I personally don't own a Lycosa (it was my brother's), so I can't test to see if it works with 10.6.2. When I borrowed it to try it awhile back it didn't 100% work (as I had said before), but then I was running 10.5.7. Maybe 10.6.2 included some more plug and play support.
    Last edited by Helgi; 03-26-2010 at 09:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread