+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dk dw mob agro dnd or hb

Dk dw mob agro dnd or hb

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...her&cn=Gortelz my question is for mob packs should I dnd-it-pest-hb or should I drop the dnd due to the length ot time for my runes to be ready i have read differing post on which to do since dps in pugs refuses to wait for me to get agro. Does my spec look good as well I also do my startup rotation that way so hb gets the bonus dave for disease for more threat also any thing you want to add about my spec or anything feel free I am always open to suggestions

If you're talking about heroics I always favored Glyph of Howling Blast and opened up with that. After the mobs get to you drop DnD and Blood Boil. HB again when Runes are back up and you shouldn't lose any mobs.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Tempuskaine View Post
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...her&cn=Gortelz my question is for mob packs should I dnd-it-pest-hb or should I drop the dnd due to the length ot time for my runes to be ready i have read differing post on which to do since dps in pugs refuses to wait for me to get agro. Does my spec look good as well I also do my startup rotation that way so hb gets the bonus dave for disease for more threat also any thing you want to add about my spec or anything feel free I am always open to suggestions
    I don't have alot of time so I will try to answer your question as best I can.

Generally you should be able to pull with howling blast, and go into your rotation or throw some blood boils to get initial agro. The rune cost and threat from DnD is usually not worth it.

That being said there are certain pulls where you want the extra safety of that threat and using DnD after howling blast would make sense for that scenario.

I have found that using Glyph Of Howling Blast, the Deathchill talent and using a one disease rotation makes snap agro at beginning of a pull very easy.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Evassara View Post
    The rune cost and threat from DnD is usually not worth it.

That being said there are certain pulls where you want the extra safety of that threat and using DnD after howling blast would make sense for that scenario.
    Your contradictory statements make Inaara a sad panda.

DnD is most definitely worth the Runes and is paramount for AoE tanking which is what the OP is having trouble with.

P.S. If you really want to go balls to the wall for AoE tanking glyph DnD, Icy Touch and HB.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Inaara View Post
    Your contradictory statements make Inaara a sad panda.

DnD is most definitely worth the Runes and is paramount for AoE tanking which is what the OP is having trouble with.

P.S. If you really want to go balls to the wall for AoE tanking glyph DnD, Icy Touch and HB.
    I'm not sure if you play a Frost Deathknight Inaara but I would never recommend that glyph choice. It seems like your giving recommendations like he was playing Blood or Unholy which heavily rely on DnD for their AoE agro.

I am doing ICC 25 content as a Frost Deathknight DW Tank, and have been using the spec for about 6 months. You can search around the forums here Tempuskaine and look for other posts that will tell you straight out not to glyph DnD unless your specced for it. I tried the Icy Touch glyph and the extra damage from Frost Fever was not impressive.

Howling blast will generate more threat and costs less, but like I said earlier on some pulls you may decide you need some extra oomph (threat) and use DnD.

If you want to plan an AoE spec DK then play Unholy, don't gimp your frost build.

I usually start off with Howling Blast then use the following priority system:

1) Use procs of Killing machine and Freezing Frog (Free runes, DPS) WOOT!
    2) Obliterate every time it's available for more Rime proces
    3) Blood Strike when waiting on cooldowns
    4) If waiting to long use Blood Tap or Empowered Rune Weapon

I have a few tools that help me gauge what I need to do.

1) Tauntmaster will show everyone in raid and color code everyone by how much threat they have. You can tell when people are about to pull agro or have pulled agro.
    2) Power Auras to show me when Freezing Frog and Killing Machine procs are present
    3) Omen general threat tool for current target

I think the comments above illustrate pros and cons of dnd v. hb pretty well. You might, however, want to take into account your group dynamic. If you have a group with say a rogue, a pally, and a hunter, then the 2 disease howling blast pull is almost always sufficient (provided that you either mark your first target with a skull or death grip the add so dps will hopefully be able to figure out where to go first.)

Some line ups aren't that conducive to the hb technique though. My guild group typically consists of at least 1 aoe happy mage, a boomkin, and a fury warrior/cat. With this group, I almost always drop dnd-it-ps-pest-rt-bb and then toss a howling blast or bb whenever I can. This may seem like overkill but I never have to worry about losing aggro to massive aoes.

Of course, in non-icc 5mans, most groups of mobs don't last more than 10-15 secs so I'll find myself on dnd cd (I'm raid spec'd at this point so I don' have the cd reduction). For awhile this meant that my group would kill a group in a few seconds and then have to sit around and wait while dnd came back up. What I've been experimenting with lately is to do one group with the dnd rotation (preferrably) then go the next group and pull with hb-ps-pest-AMS*-bb-bb. I then start tabbing around and hitting froststrike and bloodboil whenever i can. This takes a little getting used to but when you're in an aoe heavy group it can really help you out.

Also, I wouldn't pick up the dnd glyph. the tier 10 2pc set basically has it built in and if you run voa whenever you can you'll pick up at least one piece of tier10 somewhat quickly.

As for your spec, you might want to drop improved icy talons and merciless combat and grab killing machine and blood of the north. IIT and MC aren't as great for tanks as they are for dps: IIT is only worth having if your raid really needs it (I've never been in a situation where it's made a noticable difference) and you ought not to be having threat problems at the final 35% of the baddies' health bar. Killing machine + Rime is amazing in terms of threat maintenance (It's amazing for me and I use a 2hander; with threast of thassarian in the mix, then I expect that you'll have more KM + free howling blasts at your disposal. Blood of the north will also help your general single target threat generation and the death runes will also make you a lot more flexible when it comes to threat maintenance.

Also, try for more hit rating and expertise (easier said than done, I know).

Anyway, I hope you find this somewhat helpful.

*AMS= Antimagic shell. This bad boy is probably my fave ability right now. Almost every group of adds has some kind of magic damage. This ability will soak up an amazing amount of damage and charge your runebar.

+ Reply to Thread