+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worst wipe ever?

Worst wipe ever?

My 10 man group had probably our worst wipe ever last night, so it got me thinking about other folks' stories.

We've been struggling on LK, mostly due to random, stupid mistakes, and made a few group changes this week to try and get it. Phase 1/1.5 are a breeze, but we kept having defile issues in p2. Towards the end of the night last night we decided to make some positioning changes (LK was loving our DK tank for defile, so it kept getting dropped absolutely dead center, which caused lots of trouble for the next defile, as well as Valks, so we had him tend offcenter either north or south, opposite of the current defile), and it worked like a charm - we got through p2, and even the transition, with virtually no issues. (LK managed to gank the DK with a Soul Reaper right at the transition, but BRez was up so we just got him back and continued.) Hiting p3, we *finally* got through the first group of Vile Spirits, and I knew once we did that we should have it.

P3 is going along fine, and the last of the raging spirits die so I can start soaking Viles, to free up the dps more for LK. 20%. 19%. 18%. BAM, DK tank dies. Turns out our SPriest OOMed in the Frostmourne room and didn't kill the add before it killed Terenas, and the DK tank didn't have enough time to pop a cooldown for the minienrage. I somehow manage to taunt before he takes out any of our DPS, call for DPS to deal with the current Viles as best they could and then just burn LK. 17% 16% 15%. Viles appear above LK, I call for DPS to ignore them. 14% 13%. Pop challenging as Viles go active, blow every personal cooldown + call for every external cooldown available. Unfortunately, most cooldowns *weren't* available at this stage, and while I lived through all 10 Viles blowing up on me, LK destroyed me with Soul Reaper + hasted melee. (70k damage in <2 seconds.)

LK starts running around picking off DPS. 12%. "BUUURRRNNN." 4, 5, 6 people down. 11%. 7, 8, 9, 10, Wipe.

I looked back at the logs, and found we'd done 15,534,359 damage to LK - 154k shy of the 15,688,125 needed to put him at 10% and in to p4. Literally, less than a 1% wipe.

Even though I'd called a last attempt, we opted to go one more. I nubbed it up and taunted the LK instead of a Vile around 20% and ended up wiping the raid. >.< So, we called it for the night, and will be going back and finishing him off tonight.

This actually beats a wipe I thought I'd never seen beaten. Back when Firefighter was still hard in relevant gear, and a single death could mean hitting the enrage, we lost our strongest ranged *right* as p4 started, and a second about half way through the phase. Middle and Base were dropping no problem, but one ranged on the head + spell reflect just wasn't cutting it. I called for everyone to literally do whatever they could to damage the head - healers, melee dps with thrown weapons, whatever. Head at 5%, 4%, 3%. Tell one of our melee to finish off the base and middle. Head at 2%. Base dies. Middle dies. Head hits 1%. Enrage. Raid dies. 0%/0%/1% wipe. I never checked the logs, but I don't even want to know how close we were to actually beating it then. Luckily, we got it later that night, finished off Yogg +1 the following week, and got our rusteds.

So, what was your worst wipe ever?
    Last edited by mattyplo; 03-19-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Sindragosa-10 with about 2,100 health left. We finally killer her a couple of attempts later. It was still pretty soul crushing though, that's *one single melee swing* from death. We'd spent 3 evenings on her to that point. On the other hand, we went on to one-shot Putricide, having only killed him once before, which made up for it a little bit.

Back in TBC, we'd got as far as Aran or so in Kara when Moroes started sulking, and we spent several weeks unable to kill him. One of those attempts was a sub-500 health wipe. In another, the offtank had issues holding secondary threat. I was playing a Mage at the time. MT got gouged, Moroes ran over to me. He missed me 5 times in succession, and then ran back to the main tank, who promptly died. I survived that one \o/

25 man Naxx when 213 gear was top shelf; Patch at 6k; 6 freaking K - that was just not right.

Yes I had a similar wipe on Lich King the other day. He's at 12%, both tanks dead and the dps are taunting back and forth and kiting to give the most time but nope. I don't know why but I don't look at them as "painful" wipes but all the opposite, I feel it's a sign that we finally got it and are a few attempts away from a kill at most.

Funny thing is that you are inching tough bosses to their death. So 1% wipes are much more common than you'd imagine.
    I've been raiding since vanilla.
    That's why I make it a point to apply SW:P and keep it rolling on every fine boss I'm healing and shoot my wand when I'm able to.

Back in classic a rogue tanked Maexxna for 20-30 seconds after the tank took a dirt nap. On our first kill.
    That's why I never give up as long as I'm still standing.

Yeah, I get DIed a lot.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

We had Rotface down to 5k the first night I believe it was we tried him after a whole night of wiping. Still was a lot of fun even though we didnt get him down that night, gave us something to talk about :-) One of the DKs in the group thought it was a good idea to pop army when we were at 5% and people had started dying. If there is ever a fight where AoD is a VERY bad idea even when you are extremely close Rotface is it.

I don't really think of 1% wipes as "worst". They're just too common. If they were worst, we'd all be pretty miserable. They're annoying, but there's also an epic feel to them, even though they met with failure. TBH the original post sounded pretty damn heroic to me. That was an epic, epic wipe.

One of the worst wipes I had occurred last night. We got the ICC10 weekly quest to kill rotface and festergut. Basically as long as you don't have a full wipe after downing one of them, you have it in the bag.

Well, we sometimes wipe on rotface, but don't on festergut, so we went to get rotface first. We 1-shot him. Woot! Got our 5 bonus frosties in the bag, right?

We wiped 3 times on festergut.

Oh, the irony. If we'd gone contrary to common sense, and killed the boss that is usually more likely to wipe us second, we'd have had it. :P

Putricide 25, 70k health wipe lol.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

lol OP, are you from my guild? they got LK 10 to 11% and wiped on wednesday night as well =(

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post
    Funny thing is that you are inching tough bosses to their death. So 1% wipes are much more common than you'd imagine.
    I've been raiding since vanilla.
    That's why I make it a point to apply SW:P and keep it rolling on every fine boss I'm healing and shoot my wand when I'm able to.

Back in classic a rogue tanked Maexxna for 20-30 seconds after the tank took a dirt nap. On our first kill.
    That's why I never give up as long as I'm still standing.

Yeah, I get DIed a lot.
    Yeah I recall one time we died on LDW who had 8k left. 4 of the healers were all that were left standing in the end and they stood there like deer caught in headlights. Everyone was typing/ saying into vent attack the boss, but they didn't
    "Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous." - T. P.

Maybe I'm weird... But I've never taken 1% wipes as a "bad" thing. Rather, they're a sure sign to KEEP CHARGING, cos at that point, the boss really is doomed. He just doesn't know it yet.

My list of 'worst wipes' are all due to stupidity and/or malice. "Pulling Golemagg From The Bridge" kind of stuff.

Well its not exactly an epic wipe, but an epic almost wipe...

This was on my guilds first kill on Rotface. We'd made 16 attempts to down the boss that night, a solid 2 and a half hours of wiping on him. We'd gotten him down to 3-5% several times and I knew if we tightened things up we'd get him. We engage the boss and the fight actually goes pretty smoothly, people are moving when they're supposed to, our ooze tank is controlling the ooze, it looks like we'll finally get him. Around 5%, the big ooze does its unstable explosion and I call out that I'm moving the boss. For whatever reason, the pally that was healing the tanks didn't react and let me get outta range, and didn't even realize for a good 10-15 seconds, I guess because the other tank was taking damage and he had let beacon fall off. In any case, I notice my health dropping very fast and blow shield wall. Last stand was already on cooldown from earlier. My health drops down to 228 and I was sure I was going to drop, I had nothing left to prevent the next hit from killing me. SO I called out that I was down and suddenly a heal landed just a split second before the next hit came. Our tank healer got back into range, refreshed beacon and dropped me back up to full, and we finished the boss off. That has to be the closest call I've ever experienced in my raiding career.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    I don't really think of 1% wipes as "worst". They're just too common. If they were worst, we'd all be pretty miserable. They're annoying, but there's also an epic feel to them, even though they met with failure. TBH the original post sounded pretty damn heroic to me. That was an epic, epic wipe.

One of the worst wipes I had occurred last night. We got the ICC10 weekly quest to kill rotface and festergut. Basically as long as you don't have a full wipe after downing one of them, you have it in the bag.

Well, we sometimes wipe on rotface, but don't on festergut, so we went to get rotface first. We 1-shot him. Woot! Got our 5 bonus frosties in the bag, right?

We wiped 3 times on festergut.

Oh, the irony. If we'd gone contrary to common sense, and killed the boss that is usually more likely to wipe us second, we'd have had it. :P
    Hunter Feign death FTW.

I tanked Lurker with a fishing pole once when he was a progression boss still...

i used to fish a lot, and was one of two or three people that had high enough skill to get lurker up. usually i would switch to arms or bezerker, fish him up and pop into def and let stancesets swap my gear for me. well... i forgot to switch to arms before fishing and then couldnt figure out why my shield and sword wouldnt equip. needless to say i still hear about that one...

I guess folks are right in saying that a 1% wipe isn't the worst kind - it's just epicly painful to get SO close on a fight like that, only to lose it in the last few percent. It's just such a long encounter, and we'd been having so many troubles in the 2nd phase that, to finally get through the 2nd phase to come that close... And then being so late at night, after already doing so many attempts, it wasn't like we could just try it a few more times and get it - folks were tired, and all we could really do was call it for the night and plan on regrouping tonight.

What made it sting worse today, though, was that another guild managed to kill him last night, just a little while after we'd called it. Only one guild had killed him on our server (and went on to quickly get 7/12 HMs), but the then the bulk of the guild ended up server transferring. So even though it would have been server second, it was almost like a server first, but now we have to settle with third. (And that's as long as another guild who has been working on him doesn't get him before us - it's a guild my current guild broke off from, so the competition there is personal.) But I guess that just means we have to get it tonight, and pass them in HMs next week. =P

I actually forgot about another "wipe" that was actually a win, and completely hilarious. A few weeks ago we were doing Dreamwalker, and it was later in the week on a night when a lot of our core raiders hadn't shown up. DPS kept falling behind on adds, Skeletons were getting off too many Lay Wastes... overall, just very sloppy. Dreamwalker was approaching full, but out of nowhere both me and the other tank die, and adds proceed to rip through the raid. Healers kept going on Dreamwalker as people kept getting destroyed, and somehow managed to top her up just as the last people were dying. In the end, we won, but literally *everyone* was dead.

1% wipes are the best... It seems if we have a 1% wipe or tell everyone in the raid hey this is the last attempt on an encounter for the night. Everyone seems to rally and we push over that final barrier into phat lootz phase. No joke our first night months ago in 25 ICC we figured get first three bosses down no biggy get to suar three wipes in the 50% range so figured hey this will be something we will get tomorrow. Hey last attempt and damn near a perfect fight boss down. Where the hell was that attempt 50g in repairs ago?

But back to the subject at hand. Worst "wipe" ever for me was actually a Wintergrasp the other night. We were playing D, horde was sporting tenacity 20, 5 mins into the event the horde have our keep door down. DKS got the death grip to a science we protected; pushed them back out of our keep and were holding. Get towers down ten mins later, 2 mins left in the battle now, no known horde in the keep we are proud of the epic battle that had occured and the fact we had come out on top. 4 SECONDS prior to a victory, rogue slips by and wintergrasp is the horde's again. 30 people at door and stealth makes us look like a bunch of noobs!

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Hunter Feign death FTW.
    I was playing my hunter, and I had died right at the end of rotface, so I didn't have the debuff to preserve.

I think the most epic battle of this entire expansion that resulted in a raid wipe...

25 Man Naxx
    Stoneskin Gargoyle
    8 Second Instant Cast Delay

That was definately the most epic battle of the expansion thus far.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I honestly think Phase 3 Putricide wipes are the most demoralizing.
    2%.... 1%... 40k, keep going gu....oh wait, no, he is back to 2million hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    Same thing happened to us. It was even more painful due to the fact that we lost to Fester's enrage timer due to server lag. The lag boss robbed us of our emblems .

Lag also robbed me of a successful WG defense one. We had won it, the timer had run out. THen when the server tried to dole out Wintergrasp tokens and reset the timer on WG.... WORLD SERVER IS DOWN.

When we got back online the entire battle had reset. So Alliance got a fresh 30 minutes to attack. They also had tenacity which gave them the advantage when both sides were missing people who hadn't logged back on. Ya I wanted that half hour of my life back .

+ Reply to Thread