+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank Specc Argument

Tank Specc Argument

So a friend of one of my guild members stated something that I myself had to think over. Within the arms tree, I have 2 points into Improved Heroic Strike, and 3 into Iron Will to get into Deep Wounds. And within the prot tree, I decided not to get the rage reducing talents, for I do fine with threat and can never seem to actually dump all my rage when tanking. I also have glyph of blocking, which I use since it helps reduce damage slightly.

What the argument was is that I had too many talent points into things, where I could have it into places that do more threat. He said I have barely any expertise, trinkets that are more stam then dodge/ armor, and should use devastate as a glyph instead of blocking. I feel maybe the three points in Iron Will could be put into Tactial Mastery as far as changes go, otherwise I find everything else in order. What do you all think?

My memory of tactical mastery is a little hazy, but isn't that used for stance-dancing?

Barely any expertise is the condition of ICC gear unfortunately, but smart choices will keep you close to the softcap of 26. Glyph Devastate. Dodge trinkets meh. The stam/armor trinket combo's are quite effective currently (as most fights in ICC are physical) but on magic fights 2 x stam trinkets could help out a lot.

As for the rest I'm a little unclear as to what you are asking....?
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

What I was asking for the rest is, is glyph of blocking better, worse, or = to glyph of devastate? I like it, but blocking reduces damage as far as I can see. Also I saw that Tactical mastery is more threat, but does Iron Will help in ICC?

They are filler talents really, either is fine I'm sure, as it's only to really get you to deep wounds, I think I have Iron Will just in case....

I love the devastate glyph for threat. Blocking is alright, but devastate is better threat wise.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Comparing these 2 glyphs is like apples and oranges. There is no one better than the other, just depends on what you want. I currently use both as do many other people I have seen. I spent 5 points in the arms tree for parry and went with what some people would call a max survivability spec. If no one is pulling mobs off of you, I would not worry about threat so much. An armory link might help us more.

I would love an armory link to help you out more but as for popular builds, it depends if you're going for threat or survivability. In a survival build most people go with taunt/last stand/shield wall. For threat devastate/blocking/(taunt or cleave for boss or trash/adds) The builds will also vary between 5/15/51 for survival (safeguard for LK) and 15/3/53 for threat. You can armory me for my exact builds.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Frostglaive <- Armory Link ~ I know that it is like comparing apples and oranges, but what I'm trying to get across to this other warrior is: Survivability is much more applicable in raids like ICC over threat. Not to mention rage + threat are easy to obtain when tanking, so you don't need talents for it. Devastate is wonderful when it's on adds + heroics, but 10% block provides a slightly stronger Shield Slam, damage reduction, and can cause threat by itself from the Damage Shield talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostglaive View Post
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Frostglaive <- Armory Link ~ I know that it is like comparing apples and oranges, but what I'm trying to get across to this other warrior is: Survivability is much more applicable in raids like ICC over threat. Not to mention rage + threat are easy to obtain when tanking, so you don't need talents for it. Devastate is wonderful when it's on adds + heroics, but 10% block provides a slightly stronger Shield Slam, damage reduction, and can cause threat by itself from the Damage Shield talent.
    I would change some of your gems around like your head and the random purple in your legs but overall you know what you're doing. As you said threat really isn't an issue in ICC, survivability is much more important, so glyphing devastate or blocking is not optimal. Instead go with LS/SW/Taunt and use whatever spec you like whether it be deep wounds or imp shouts.

Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Inaara View Post
    I would change some of your gems around like your head and the random purple in your legs but overall you know what you're doing. As you said threat really isn't an issue in ICC, survivability is much more important, so glyphing devastate or blocking is not optimal. Instead go with LS/SW/Taunt and use whatever spec you like whether it be deep wounds or imp shouts.
    The glyph of taunt I was indeed thinking about. As far as the random purple gem goes, that's to activate my Meta gem. Not sure what's wrong with my head piece.

The glyph of taunt I was indeed thinking about. As far as the random purple gem goes, that's to activate my Meta gem. Not sure what's wrong with my head piece.
    The head socket is red and gives you 12 stam for fullfilling the socket bonus so you'll only be missing out on 3 stamina from not using a 30 stam gem. The red gem in your legs is giving you no bonus. Since you're JC I would suggest putting the three JC gems in your legs since they're BIS and the bonus is not worth going for. As for your other gemming options the general rule is to gem for the bonus if it's +9 stam or greater as long as no more than 1 of the off color isn't a blue socket. IE, your belt is 1 red, 1 blue and prismatic with a +9 stamina bonus, totally worth gemming for. Your legs on the other hand has 1 of each color, so you don't gem for the bonus. Dodge/stam is by far the more popular choice among the warrior community but I prefer agi/stam for the increased armor as well as dodge/threat.

Agg's tanking guide

The way I see it is 32 + 30 =62 which is 620 more health, while a purple gem there (10 dodge + 15 stamina) and the meta, would only be giving you 59 more stamina, even with the bonus. Agility can be fine, but I see a little more avoidance couldn't hurt, and the agility isn't a huge armor increase.

Also looked over your own gear. I don't see why you'd want to go for the piece bonus, for you can lose up to 90 health which can make a difference believe it or not.

EDIT: Also saw that I'm going to have to basically switch those gems (pants + helm) because it is more helpful. But as far as piece bonus goes, I really don't see the point in going for it.
    Last edited by Frostglaive; 03-18-2010 at 03:38 PM.

The way I see it is 32 + 30 =62 which is 620 more health, while a purple gem there (10 dodge + 15 stamina) and the meta, would only be giving you 59 more stamina, even with the bonus. Agility can be fine, but I see a little more avoidance couldn't hurt, and the agility isn't a huge armor increase.
    What you're not seeing though is the fact that you're missing out on free stamina by putting the red gem in your legs, getting no bonus, when it could be in your helm for a 12 stam bonus. look at it like this, the way you're currently socketed with just those two items you're getting 540 stamina total. When you change it you will be getting 552 stamina. I say when because you're going to change it lol. I'm not saying keep the dodge in your legs, what I am saying is swap the two.

Agg's tanking guide

What you're not seeing though is the fact that you're missing out on free stamina by putting the red gem in your legs, getting no bonus, when it could be in your helm for a 12 stam bonus. look at it like this, the way you're currently socketed with just those two items you're getting 540 stamina total. When you change it you will be getting 552 stamina. I say when because you're going to change it lol. I'm not saying keep the dodge in your legs, what I am saying is swap the two.
    I did see that and you're right, lol. What I don't see though is the the point in going for the item bonus when you still are getting more stamina out of that item from just pure stamina. Yes it's free in a sense, but you're still giving something up to get the gem to put in there.

It's a matter of loss and gain. When you go for a socket bonus you're losing either 3, 6 or 9 stamina depending if the bonus is +12, +9 or +6 stamina. Most people feel that the loss of 3 or 6 stamina is worth the avoidance/armor/threat gained from taking dodge/agi/defense gems. Some feel that even the loss of 6 stamina is too great, but the helm bonus should NEVER be skipped out on since you only miss 3 stamina for the +10 to dodge, agility or defense depending on the socket color.

Agg's tanking guide

It's a matter of loss and gain. When you go for a socket bonus you're losing either 3, 6 or 9 stamina depending if the bonus is +12, +9 or +6 stamina. Most people feel that the loss of 3 or 6 stamina is worth the avoidance/armor/threat gained from taking dodge/agi/defense gems. Some feel that even the loss of 6 stamina is too great, but the helm bonus should NEVER be skipped out on since you only miss 3 stamina for the +10 to dodge, agility or defense depending on the socket color.
    I agree with the head part. The way I see it is that all the missed stamina adds up, and your health which could be used to take a powerful spell hit (Like from Lady DW), is lost just for some minor avoidance, or threat which you get plenty of from gear alone. But yes I thank you VERY GRATEFULLY can't express enough, for pointing out that minor gemming mistake of mine.

Not a problem and like I said it's a matter of personal preferrence. GL and good hunting, may your loot flow from the heavens.

Agg's tanking guide

Thank you once again, I really appreciate it

+ Reply to Thread