+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Healer UIs

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Notlob its a palindrome
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    Chain of events:

    I'm at place A, situation arrives where I'm required to move across the room to place B, or kite. This cannot be done with strafing. I want to still heal, on the go. Without mouseover macros, I pre-select a target, move with a combination of mouse/keyboard that I'm comfortable with, cast while moving, select another target, temporarily switch over to keyboard, select a target, cast and utilize the mouse, keep doing that until I'm done moving. With mouseover macros, I have to hover over the target I want to select which means I cannot utilize the mouse to move at the same time to move which would greatly affect either my controlled movement or my casting. If you've mastered that, hey, all the better for you, but I gave it an honest try and I work much better without it.
    There is no cannot, I can move freely across a room with forward+strafe combinations or character turns with the mouse(briefly) and strafe. The question is do you really need to move your camera so you can't have a mouse cursor over a target? the answer is no you can providing your UI is decent enough in terms of layout see sufficient information without adjusting camera angles. More importantly all fps games use strafing movement and you don't see them complaining about getting from a->b...

    This really begs the question, should you really use movement on the mouse when it is basicly like a hand due to the way healing in WoW works.

    So your complex sequence for me would simply be: wasd(default UI has a+d as turn camera, I ofcourse rebound to strafe) combinations and spells cast on whomever I wish I don't need to switch out to keyboard movement or mousemovement when I select another player because this method is accomidating the UI limitations.

    It also raises questions about mouse movement which can be useful for other classes but due to the raid frames game seems rather clunky for healers from what you have described.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    I did, and it didn't!
    I was using "you" in the generic sense, more referring to newer healers setting up their ui :P

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    Chain of events:

    I'm at place A, situation arrives where I'm required to move across the room to place B, or kite. This cannot be done with strafing. I want to still heal, on the go. Without mouseover macros, I pre-select a target, move with a combination of mouse/keyboard that I'm comfortable with, cast while moving, select another target, temporarily switch over to keyboard, select a target, cast and utilize the mouse, keep doing that until I'm done moving. With mouseover macros, I have to hover over the target I want to select which means I cannot utilize the mouse to move at the same time to move which would greatly affect either my controlled movement or my casting. If you've mastered that, hey, all the better for you, but I gave it an honest try and I work much better without it.

    The point I was making is that click-selecting does not provide any downside or loss of speed in casting at all. You do all your selecting before you actually cast, which means clicking isn't going to affect your speed at all because it's done in a timeframe you're not doing anything else in anyway. So what counts is what you're comfortable doing, but still, there's no necessity at all to switch over to click-casting or mouseover macros if you're not comfortable with them. Clicking your target works just as well and for some people, better.

    For me, mouseover macros actually make me slower, so it presents a downside for me. I tried for a good month and decided they're not for me, and all I've done in this thread is tell people to go with what they're comfortable with, so please don't ride my back about my personal opinion. =P But I did just notice a typo. I was referring to mouseover macros, not click-casting in the former post. Sorry if that caused any confusion! Edited it to prevent further confusion.
    Well, I'll try vaguely not to hijack the thread too much with creating specific instances, but there are a number of statements here that are either false or somewhat skewed.

    You describe a situation in which you categorically state "this cannot be done with strafing," which is simply false. There is no situation where forward movement is possible and strafing is not. I could go at length to provide situational examples, but doing so would rather bloat things. I almost never move directly forward in any situation. In most cases, it's more efficient to turn 90 degrees and strafe than turn 180 degrees and move forward. It doesn't save a lot of time, but those milliseconds do help on occasion.

    Second, you state that you have to hover over the target you want to select, which seems to imply that you spend time mouseovering someone before casting. That is not what mouseovers are for. There is no time period in which you are consistently hovering over a single target unless you're flat out spamming them.

    Third, you state that mouseover casting affects your controlled movement. What's affecting your controlled movement is moving with the mouse, not mouseover casting. Moving via the mouse gives you access to three of the standard six movement keys (move forward, turn left, and turn right.) Moving with the keyboard alone gives you access to four, making it a better option from a pure efficiency standpoint, all six if you really want to keyboard turn. Also the four keys that you have available via the keyboard actually move your character. Turning is a requirement, but not as required as have the capacity to move in multiple directions instantly.

    Fourth, you state that target casting does not provide any downside or loss of speed. That is also false. Inherently, in situations that call for rapid target switching, for any of a variety of reasons, target casting introduces a slight bit of latency that mouseover casting does not have. That is simple fact. You cannot somehow make click to target, then key to cast faster than click to target and cast. There are situations in which you can mitigate that issue, primarily when you're standing still and spamming. Even instants have a GCD, and therefore, a cast time, so you can always alter target while spamming a single button. However, in situations where you don't have the option of standing still and spamming, it's an inefficient use of resources. This phenomenon isn't entirely important to some healers (primarily Shamans, Paladins, and Holy Priests, who have a much more limited arsenal of casting while moving), but for the other two healers, whose primary advantage is being able to heal and do other things at the same time, reducing that lag time in target selection is invaluable.

    Not to mention that I can eat during trash pulls because I can heal and target with one hand. :P

    If your opinion of targeted casting is that you've tried mouseover casting, and you're still comfortable with the other method, that's fine, to a degree. My personal opinion is that it's a less efficient means of healing, and, yes, I think somewhat less of people who feel that way. It doesn't make you a bad healer, and I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. There are target healers that I will readily admit are better healers than I. But that doesn't mean that I don't think they'd be better if they learned to mouseover cast. And my very slight derision in the matter is because I can't understand why people wouldn't take every tiny little advantage they're given. I change my UI about once every two months, and almost every time I log in, I either write a new macro, adjust an old one, or move things around on my bars in an attempt to find literally the perfect healing setup. I know that is nearly impossible to accomplish, but it doesn't stop me from trying, and occasionally, I find something new, something that shaves .1s off one thing that I do once a night. And that, to me, is a very big win.

    To get this sort of back on topic, a number of options presented in the original thread are presented according to taste. Mods like Recount, Omen, Quartz, Forte, Power Auras, all of these are simply there according to taste. They are not requirements to heal. In some cases (like Omen), they're actually useless to healers, and in others (like Recount), they're actually a detriment. If you're going to include these mods that you use according to your taste, I believe those of us who use Clique have made enough of a convincing argument that there is a taste out there which leans toward using it, and therefore it should be included in the list as much as any of those other mods.

    And in a belated response to another player in the thread, who stated that using fewer mods makes for a better healer. If someone has two tiers worse gear than the content that they're raiding, and they heal fine, they are without a doubt a better healer. Does that mean they shouldn't get any gear upgrades, so as to maintain that? Mods are a resource, just like anything else. The assumption is that if I play without my mods, I'll be useless as a healer, and that is just patently false. While this will sound very inflammatory, if some event made all of my mods useless, it would simply just turn me into you. And before you find that insulting, I assume you are a good healer without mods. I would be a good healer without them too. But with them, I am better than I would be without them. And I think it's letting down my raids to not use every possible resource to do what I do better.

    And if anyone takes offense to anything said here, I apologize. My aim is not to insult anyone. But in my defense, one, I've been told I'm a worse player because I use mods, and two, I'm attempting to argue against a particular philosophy. I tend to be very blunt in my opinions about philosophy, my opinions of people, I assure you, are much more nuanced.

  4. #24
    Personally when it comes to these sorts of things it all comes down to personal preference. What do I like? I like to use a pretty wide combination of all of the above. Certain priority targets I have focused and directly targeted (or a boss targeted and using a target of target means of selection) in an encounter and use an alt / control / shift modifier macro to go between them for movement intense situations to keep my assignments or a given tank alive. I tend to use the mouse over macros and clique when I am just planted and spamming raid healing. I also like the fact when I am getting the opportunity to stand still I can be hovering my mouse around on the raid and quickly snap a heal with a direct keyboard command without having to react with the mouse. Gives me an ability to do 2 things at once during a button mash GCD pause. I don't really expect everyone to do it the way I do but in the end is just how I do it. Take it or leave it. I have played without them all and played with them all. So I know personally either or works depending on the person. I also know that most people think that their given way is really the only way to fly. Which usually makes me chuckle a little bit. :P

    As far as powerful healing tools I have to say one of my most essential and one of the most under spoken about addons is really a boss mod and really using it as an effective tool. Knowning when big damage abilities are coming in and knowing where said ability impacts (of course not all of them are that predictable but a lot are like a boss that stomps and damages all melee etc).

    Next is really having an effect means of tracking raid debuffs. So you can react to people that get the debuff. So you can be a lot more proactive of a healer rather then a reactive healer. Since a lot of these debuffs are something along the lines of a DoT deal it really helps to know where things are going to start ticking down.

    Then of course it comes down to your unit frame selection choice. Whichever the hell you choose to use works. Because arguing which is better is discussing religion at work as far as I am concerned. It isn't going to go anywhere but bad.

    Then finally I use some sort of class timer or power auras. Ques me when things have come off cool down, when abilities are ready to use, and how long until they are ready to come up. For some of the shorter things like my wild growth for example I can typically just roll in my head as I used GCDs but a visual que is nice for times it isn't needed at a constant rate.

    Now are any of these things absolutes? I doubt it. Mostly because absolutes are a pretty difficult thing to pinpoint. In reality I am sure you could just drag the frames out on the raid boxes and heal making almost next to nothing an absolute. But in my opinion these things drastically improve the easy and ability for me to heal.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    Chain of events:

    I'm at place A, situation arrives where I'm required to move across the room to place B, or kite. This cannot be done with strafing. I want to still heal, on the go. Without mouseover macros, I pre-select a target, move with a combination of mouse/keyboard that I'm comfortable with, cast while moving, select another target, temporarily switch over to keyboard, select a target, cast and utilize the mouse, keep doing that until I'm done moving. With mouseover macros, I have to hover over the target I want to select which means I cannot utilize the mouse to move at the same time to move which would greatly affect either my controlled movement or my casting. If you've mastered that, hey, all the better for you, but I gave it an honest try and I work much better without it.

    <snip>.
    You were using the wrong mouseovermacros. Most of the macros I've seen will cast the spell on your mouseover, will cast the spell on your target if you don't have a mouseover, and lastly will cast the spell on yourself if you don't have a mouseover or target. I love my macro <3 Once I'm standing still then I find that I'm faster at healing by just moving the mouse hover from frame to frame and using 1-5 buttons to cast.

    Not saying one or the other is superior, it's really preference, but your example was incorrect about mouseovermacro limitations.
    Last edited by Benea; 03-22-2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Too early I forgot a word.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WI, USA
    Posts
    2,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Benea View Post
    You were using the wrong mouseovermacros. Most of the macros I've seen will cast the spell on your mouseover, will cast the spell on your target if you don't have a mouseover, and lastly will cast the spell on yourself if you don't have a mouseover or target. I love my macro <3 Once I'm standing still then I find that I'm faster at healing by just moving the mouse hover from frame to frame and using 1-5 buttons to cast.

    Not saying one or the other is superior, it's really preference, but your example was incorrect about mouseovermacro limitations.
    Mouseover macros and how they interact with mouse steering.

    I personally do not use mouseover macros and my macro syntax is slightly different for healing (in particular my spells will always resolve to [@player] as the last condition cause I PvP a bit and want my healing spells to target myself automatically if there is no other target).

    First off, lets start with a strong mouseover macro. Something to the effect of:
    Code:
    /cast [@mouseover,help,nodead] [help,nodead] [@targettarget,help,nodead] [] Lifebloom
    Priority one is your mouseover. Provided it is a friendly unit that is not dead (help does not automatically do a nodead test because spells like Revive can also be used to help friendly corpses).
    Priority two is your current target.
    Priority three is an automatic assisting rule (for cases where you are healing the "current tank" you may choose to target the boss instead).
    Last priority defaults to the normally conditions (no valid target found would mean that spell is awaiting you to select a target).

    Now how does a mouseover macro work when you use mouse movement you ask? When you use your mouse to steer or move, you right click the WorldFrame which allows the steering also removes your cursor. It disappears quite litterally while you are steering in this way. As a result, you literally have no mouseover, and your macro will skip that condition. In the example macro posted, it would then start at priority two which is to heal the current target and work it's way down the list from there.

    So you see there is no problem with using mouseover macros and using mouse steering for movement provided the macro is written strongly enough to still have valid conditions after the mouseover.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16
    I like the UI suggestions, there are some other ones that are rather nice and provide good information, albeit preference-deciding.

    One for Priests is PoM Tracker, great little addon that does nothing but track what target PoM is currently on and how much total healing has been done by PoM since your last reset. Grid can track PoM and Recount/Skada can show you the healing if you don't want to use a special addon for it, but I find this addon exceptionally lightweight and convenient.

    Another addon I got recently and have found to be quite helpful from a healing perspective, is Hero. This shows who has used what important life-saving/"big" cooldowns, but only ones that affect healing. IE, Shield Wall, Divine Protection, Hand of Sacrifice, Guardian Spirit, Barkskin, Pain Suppression, Iceblock, etc. This allows you to react to those situations quicker if you are not already aware of the situation fully or simply want to assist with someone elses target for whatever reason, if they are popping those abilities, they are probably anticipating a damage spike of some kind or have already taken excess damage and want to help mitigate it, this also allows you to mentally keep note of who used what cooldowns recently to mentally keep track of that.

    Also, if you're increasing the number of addons you're using and trying to rearrange them to your fitting, two addons I've found nearly invaluable, are HideBlizzard and MoveIt. Enabling you to hide or move any aspect of the default UI easily.


    I've created a topic to discuss healing-style as I find it an interesting topic that while related, is not entirely on topic to this particular thread, so it should have it's own thread.
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ntages-of-each
    Last edited by klaugh; 03-22-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Add link to separate discussion of healing-style.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9
    I currently use grid/clique to heal though I do have some things un keybound PoM, CoH, GS are some of them but I once tried to do target healing because I heard it was better for healing I gave it an honest try and it really hurt my healing im not saying that click casting is better its that its that I have been click casting since Ive started healing and then switching the a very diffrent healing style just put me out of whack both healing styles are good neithier one in my opinion is better then the other just use what you are better with and stic with it.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southeast Tennessee
    Posts
    3
    OMG ...why are you all dumping on Aliena's preferred movement/healing method? I dont priest Heal, I'm a pally healer and I have exactly 2 heals i can cast while moving. Holy Shock and Lay of Hands. 10man ICC im almost always top heals overall, 25man icc top 3. I use a combination healbot, keybinds, and wasd(rebound ad;strafe). MT is always my target(except breifly while i judge), focus Boss. If I'm doing my job with my setup why should I change it to someone else's preferred method? Same for Aliena, she obviously is elite heals with her preferred method, so why the heck are all of you beating on her method?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WI, USA
    Posts
    2,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Elchion View Post
    OMG ...why are you all dumping on Aliena's preferred movement/healing method?
    We aren't saying the choice in play style is wrong. We are saying the information provided about the alternative style, mouseover or clique type healing, is incorrect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aliena
    With mouseover macros, I have to hover over the target I want to select which means I cannot utilize the mouse to move
    This statement by Aliena is false. You can both use mouseover healing and your mouse to move, so long as your mouseover macros are "strong" (can still resolve a target using other targeting rules).

    Code:
    /cast [@mouseover,help,nodead] [help,nodead] [@targettarget,help,nodead] Lifebloom
    That is a "strong" mouseover macro. While mouseover is one of the highest priority cases, the macro is written in a manner such that even if the mouse currently isn't over a valid target it can still cast a heal following some additional targeting rules. So even if I were using the mouse to move and using this macro to heal, I am still able to heal with this macro, just as effectively as if I were not using mouseover healing.

    Aliena is a strong player and we aren't trying to discredit her. We are simply correcting incorrect information in her post.

    Just because a macro has "@mouseover" in it, doesn't mean it doesn't work when your mouse isn't over something. People who write stronger macros understand that they need to set up multiple priorities for their healing. When writing macros you have a whole list of priorities, not one and then the macro fails when that one condition isn't met.

    Oh and if you're curious, I don't use mouseover personally. All of my healing macros (I play DPS), are of the nature:
    Code:
    /cast [mod:SELFCAST,@player] [help,nodead] [@targettarget,help,nodead] [@player] Lifebloom
    As a DPS I'm more likely to use my healing in PvP or to save my own behind hence use of @player targeting rules mixed in.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    297
    First of all, great post Aliena!

    I feel this has gone off topic a little and lots of bashing over personal preference going on. I agree with Aliena about the whole mouseover addon issue with prohibiting movement, and it largely has to do with the user and what choice of keyboard/mouse and keybind setups they use. Up until early ICC I was actually a "click target healer", I manually clicked on my X-Perl raid frames and hit the keybinds on my Logitech G15 (old version with 18 keys on the side). As a Resto druid I found this was sub-optimal because X-Perl lacked the ability to show individual hots and I often wasted time targeting people just to find I already had a Rejuv on them. I switched to Grid, which was short lived. Let's just say that I got extremely frustrated trying to configure it and get it to do what I wanted. I'm now happily using VuhDo which has built in options for mouseover healing and found that it boosted my healing considerably. I have great reflexes but the process of click targeting and casting was reducing my effectiveness. Upon the use of mouseover macros I quickly found that mobile healing was extremely difficult, if not near impossible and that shouldn't happen for a Druid. I used to use my arrow keys to move along with my mouse by right clicking to rotate the camera in the direction I needed to move. If you think about it it's impossible to effectively move/rotate and still mouseover cast with my old setup.

    Which leads to my solution. I recently purchased a Razer Naga and bound all my heals to the buttons on the mouse. I changed the keybinds on my Logitech G15 so the bottom 6 keys act as the arrow/strafe keys which now allows me to move and heal more effectively. I can hold down the right mouse button to have precise control on my camera rotation while still clicking the buttons on the thumb area at the same time. The Razer Naga definitely takes some getting used to but if you can manage it's a worthwhile investment. Other good choices of gamepads may help with healing as well to provide more keybinds that are more accessible.

    Anyway, back on topic. One addon that isn't essential but very helpful is OmniCC. It provides a visual number on each spell that shows the current CD timer and is easier to see than Blizzard's "stopwatch/dial/whatever you call it". I haven't used it yet but VuhDo contains an option to aid in better/smarter use of aoe heals. I'm just going off memory here but I think you can set a min target requirement so if your CoH or Chain Heal is only going to hit 2 people it will tell you, allowing you to make better use of your mana and CD's. I also like it's ability to create your own private "MT list".
    Last edited by bling581; 03-25-2010 at 02:15 PM.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindralas View Post
    You describe a situation in which you categorically state "this cannot be done with strafing," which is simply false. There is no situation where forward movement is possible and strafing is not. I could go at length to provide situational examples, but doing so would rather bloat things. I almost never move directly forward in any situation. In most cases, it's more efficient to turn 90 degrees and strafe than turn 180 degrees and move forward. It doesn't save a lot of time, but those milliseconds do help on occasion.
    Sorry, but I felt I had to comment on one more thing. I don't know about "cannot be done with strafing", but I've tried using movement/strafe keys and there's nothing more precise than mouse moving by rotating the camera manually. I don't use the auto camera rotate that always forces it to rotate back in front of my character, so strafing is difficult. It's not fun trying to run when your character is facing the camera and you can't see where you're going. I'd like to know what you do for Sindragosa and have to immediately turn around and run out of Blistering Cold. I don't use the auto camera rotation because if I need to I can zoom out and rotate the camera behind my character to get a better view of my surroundings. A good example of this is Rotface and keeping tabs on where the slime tank is located. Anyway, I don't know if you've ever tried mouse moving but it's more precise than strafing.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Elchion View Post
    OMG ...why are you all dumping on Aliena's preferred movement/healing method? I dont priest Heal, I'm a pally healer and I have exactly 2 heals i can cast while moving. Holy Shock and Lay of Hands. 10man ICC im almost always top heals overall, 25man icc top 3. I use a combination healbot, keybinds, and wasd(rebound ad;strafe). MT is always my target(except breifly while i judge), focus Boss. If I'm doing my job with my setup why should I change it to someone else's preferred method? Same for Aliena, she obviously is elite heals with her preferred method, so why the heck are all of you beating on her method?
    I apologize if correcting incorrect information on her post equals "dumping" on her. Also, I have not seen a post claiming one or the other method is the better one.

  14. #34
    Most of it comes down to the fact that healing is more an art then a science. Which brush an artist uses isn't what I determine a paintings value on the canvas where as a scientist using the wrong chemical can determine a lot more in a experiment. If the artist is satisfied with the results and is able to make a living off of selling his/her work then by all means it is a success. In the end that is how I look at it anyway.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    Mouseover macros greatly reduce your on the go healing ability - I move with my mouse and on-the-go casting is terrible with mouseover macros. Also, people that don't use mouseover macros/click-casting add-ons pre-select their new target while still casting a spell on another, so you don't in fact lose any time at all. I'm not trying to bash people that like mouseovers/click-casting - what works for you works for you - but it presents no real upside or is necessary by any means, so you won't find me promoting it.
    I always heal with mouseover, I don't see how it's any different then healing with clicking targets considering I can ALWAYS have the tank targeted(or some one important) and with my macro it heals them if i have no mouse over(IE. moving)

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,783
    But X healing method isn't good for Y situation!
    I'm going to (not really) go out on a limb here and suggest that for each method of healing people use, there are adequate solutions for all situations; whether or not you like those solutions determines if you like the method.


    Great post, Aliena. Maybe in the video just be sure to make some comment about different methods working for different people blah blah, and just stick to what you're familiar with...probably what you were planning to do, but thought I'd butt in.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Consilium View Post
    I always heal with mouseover, I don't see how it's any different then healing with clicking targets considering I can ALWAYS have the tank targeted(or some one important) and with my macro it heals them if i have no mouse over(IE. moving)
    Perhaps read my responses and you might get an idea of why mouseover macros can cause problems with moving. Everyone moves their characters in different ways and have different setups. When you use both mouseover macros AND use your mouse to move it can cause issues depending on your hardware setup and/or keybinds. When I used the directional arrows to move and had to cast a heal that required me to hold down a modifier (Ctrl/Shift/etc) it becomes difficult to mash all those buttons at once. Holding down the right mouse button, ctrl, and left clicking all while moving your character is hard.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WI, USA
    Posts
    2,614
    Quote Originally Posted by bling581 View Post
    Perhaps read my responses and you might get an idea of why mouseover macros can cause problems with moving. Everyone moves their characters in different ways and have different setups. When you use both mouseover macros AND use your mouse to move it can cause issues depending on your hardware setup and/or keybinds. When I used the directional arrows to move and had to cast a heal that required me to hold down a modifier (Ctrl/Shift/etc) it becomes difficult to mash all those buttons at once. Holding down the right mouse button, ctrl, and left clicking all while moving your character is hard.
    I don't believe the situation you are describing is functionally possible. Perhaps you should try reading other posts as well.

    1. When you enable mouse steering by right clicking the WorldFrame, your mouse is removed from the UI. Try it. Right click on the WorldFrame in game to enable mouse steering, do you still see your cursor? The answer is no you do not. The mouse when it is steering is no longer moving a cursor on the UI layer, but is instead controling the orientation of your character and the angle of the camera.
    2. Because the mouse is no longer act on the UI layer of the game, it is functionally impossible for it mouse over a UI frame like a raid frame for you to then left click as you say. You no longer have a cursor while steering.

    Mouseover macros are not limited to mouseover. You can and should write the macros in such a manner that they can still perform their function following normal targeting rules even if the mouseover condition fails.
    [@mouseover,help,nodead] [help,nodead]
    That simply means if my mouseover isn't valid, try my current target instead. Now mouseover is functionally no different than pre-clicking the target. However, and most importantly, just because you can't currently use your mouse does not mean you can't use the macro.

    In Aliena's case, she chooses to click to target who to heal and that's perfectly acceptable. In the same regard, she requires the mouse too to pick her target.

    In the end, neither system wins. Because both require use of the mouse and keyboard. They just use them in different ways.

    I am not a healer... I'm just correcting false statements about how the game functions. Saying something can't be done or doesn't work when it does or saying something can when it's impossible. That's what I'm correcting. I have no preference whether people use mouseover healing or any other kinda of healing style other than to say, did I live, if so, good work.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 03-26-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    I don't believe the situation you are describing is functionally possible.
    Which is why I said it's hard :P

    No really, you got me. Apparently my memory completely failed me. Perhaps I should've just said that it's difficult (for me at least) to press modifiers while moving and still clicking at the same time. You're right, you can't camera move while left clicking but you can still use the regular movement keys.

  20. #40
    I agree with what someone said already, the positioning is very important.
    It could actually be more important than the selection of mods in the first place.

    You want all critical information in peripheral vision and large or obvious enough so you can see it without having to look at it. Which means that your raidframes need to be close to your character because otherwise that's not possible (though Grid configured so the frames are black-ish until damaged works quite ok). Bossbars need to be large enough so you don't have to actually look at that part of the screen to grasp what's going on, the same goes for proc and buff/debuff monitors.

    Try to make your UI so that you can "perceive" everything while looking at the 3D world. Once you get there, moving around bossabilities and all that just became world simpler because are no longer playing the "Stare at raidframes"-game.
    SQUEAK.
    -- (The Death of Rats, Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts