+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally Tank looking for advice.

Pally Tank looking for advice.

Hey everyone. This will be my first post on here and I was just looking for advice to my tanking in general. I'm a paladin tank and I have some pretty good stuff going on I think, but every little bit helps. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...one&cn=Kesthia There is my link for armory. I know I need to upgrade a few gems to epics, but other than that any suggestions? (I'm pretty sure I have my stat priority right but if I've messed up I definitely want to fix it quick.)

Your talent spec needs some work. This is the cookie-cutter prot spec. The important points:

- 1/2 Spiritual Attunement is all you need to keep your mana bar full, and you definitely do not need the glyph.

- Vindication is a required damage reduction talent, because it's equivalent to a fully buffed Demo Shout.

- Glyph of Divine Plea is required for the free 3% damage reduction, and the SoV glyph is fantastic for threat (even if you're over 26 from gear).

- Crusade is a wonderful threat talent, certainly much stronger than Reckoning. Reckoning is an extremely weak threat talent.

- Seal of Command and Pursuit of Justice are not strictly required, but very nice. Seal of Command is fantastic for AoE tanking (5-mans, trash, Gunship/Dreamwalker/Deathwhisper adds, etc.), and Pursuit of Justice is very convenient anytime you need to move during a fight. You can shift those points into Conviction if you're having issues with sustained threat, if you'd like.

- Divinity mostly contributes to overheals, and even when it doesn't, 5% is not a whole lot.

Your gear looks pretty good. You have a few enchants I would swap around (+225 armor to cloak, +275 health to chest, +30 stam to shoulders), and I wouldn't use the Onyxia trinket in most situations (it's ok for tanking adds and stuff, but I would use Glyph of Indomitability instead for most if not all raid bosses).

Thanks for the excellent advice. ^_^ Trying to afford changes now. Shouldn't be so bad after this new patch. Gems are just a few BG's away!

Reckoning is weak and strong. In an AoE situation with Seal of Command, Reckoning is an extremely valuable tool. When it comes to Single target DPS/threat it definitely falls behind. That's why Blizard saw fit to give us two talent specs lol. Since my pally has terribad gear I'm just running heroics to gear up but that's my AoE spec http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...erfist&cn=Heos

EDIT: Raid boss spec http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0t...dxsr0bc:pGkzmc
    Last edited by Inaara; 03-24-2010 at 01:39 PM.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

I would just add some people move one point out of Improved Judgments, since you only really need one to reduce the cool down to 9 sec. My spec is a bit of a variation on the above, where, since I have Tuskar's Vitality on my boots I put points into Improved Blessing of Might and Conviction over Seal of Command and Pursuit of Justice. I view the 5 points that are left in the Ret Tree, after you take he necessitates, as kind of personal taste points. Moving them around a bit to buff up threat, or give some raid utility is fine, nothing you can do with them will make or break your spec once you have the core set. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...kstraw&group=1

Should I drop my glyph of righteous defense or my hammer of the righteous for the SoV glyph or should I keep what I have on? (I'm at 8.23% hit)

Well it depends on what kind of content you're doing. If you're mainly doing heroics, go with the aoe build. If you're trying to get into raiding then go with the raid build and just switch out the glyphs depending on what you're tanking. For bosses you clearly won't need the extra hammer so that would be what you replace.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

If you are a pally tank, you have the SoV glyph.

+ Reply to Thread