Closed Thread

Thread: 26 Expertise Cap A Must For Raiding Warriors?

26 Expertise Cap A Must For Raiding Warriors?

I have always been at 26 expertise for my warrior. As this is the cap I imagine it is important to get 26 expertise.

However, after replacing some gear I am losing a lot of expertise. This is forcing me to gem for expertise which I am not comfortable with.

Tonight I will have the Kraken gloves and will have to gem more expertise to hit 26. (at 23 now due to Pillars of Might).

Should I just gem for straight stamina and say screw the cap? Please help, i need advice in this area.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...krock&cn=Weezy

I feel your pain as I am sitting at about the same spot. Unfortunately there is not much expertise gear floating around ICC, much like the lack of hit in toc. Since expertise is mostly a threat stat, it is my opinion to gem for stam and fall below the soft cap especially since survivability should come first. I doubt you will have any threat issues with 23 vs 26 expertise. There is always expertise food too! Anyone else agree with this?
    Last edited by Gnarly; 03-23-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Excellent post here: http://www.tankingtips.com/2010/03/1...oaching-items/

Your threat is based more on your use of spec and rotation than any one stat at this stage in the game. Are you losing aggro with less expertise? If you answered yes, you need to re-evaluate your spec or ability usage. If you answered no, don't worry about it. Grab yourself an MD and a TotT on the pull and then mash your keyboard into oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I haven't had 26 Expertise since ICC came out and I started picking up ilvl 264s. Funny thing is when we were raiding TOC I had like 40+ expertise. >.<

We are all running into problem .. blizz wants you to gem for it so we have to think about gemming ... most of us ignore it unless threat becomes a problem.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

- Is 26+ expertise required? No of course not, good ability prioritization and min/maxing everything else possible will serve you fine
    - Is 26+ expertise an advantage? Yes of course, removing dodge from the combat table and reducing the chance of getting parried is awesome
    - With that being said is there any reason to not get 26+ expertise? No, I am a huge proponent of expertise and really with the gear available it shouldn't be that hard to reach. Get it from gear when you can but don't worry about it too much and don't gem for it. It is just a matter of raid content that you are in, emblems you have gotten and things you are looking to upgrade to in the future. I personally never drop below 26 exp and would recommend the same to anyone else.

I always aim for keeping 26 expertise. With current gear its possible to go well beyond that. In the transition period of waiting on drops though you can dip below.

As is my personal case atm, I'm waiting for the boots from Dreamwalker 25. So to maintain 26 expertise skill I have:
    - x2 Guardian Dreadstones [+10 Expertise & +15 Stamina] = 1.22 Expertise.
    - Eat the expertise food = 4.88 Expertise.

What could I gain if I didn't use those, realistically very little. Yes I loose a little stam, but due to correct placement I gain some back with bonuses.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

expertise in a tanking set IS NOT NEEDED! Sure, it's great to have for a threat boost, but come on ppl, if your having threat issues, then it's probably a player issue, and not a gearing issue. Nearly NONE of the bosses in ICC have parry-hasting enabled in their mechanics. If you feel that you need the threat during a specific encounter, then put your threat pieces on during that encounter!

Your job, as a tank, is to LIVE. That is ALWAYS second to keeping threat. you can throw on 100k tps on a target, but it won't matter if you die in one hit....

People differ in opinions here and everywhere else, but no matter what they say I cannot wrap my head around gemming/enchanting for something that doesn't improve their ability to do their job. What I mean is, tanks have two real jobs... stay alive, make stuff hit you. In the previous versions of this game you could probably add "take less damage so your healers don't OOM"... but I honestly believe that situation cannot exist as the game sits. If you have the gear/ability to meet the other two, this one is met by default. SO...

What does more EH do? It enables you to live through X period of time taking Y damage with no heals. Every time you add more EH to your gearset, you improve that Y value. One could argue that beyond a certain point EH will do nothing for you. Until they take H 25 Festergut out, I'm not sure that level of gear is attainable.

What does more expertise do? It enables you to produce more threat. If you are playing perfectly, your group/raid members are hitting the right thing, and you're still capping your dps classes on a boss while being in no danger of dying, this is a worthwhile investment.

The scenarios I can see this happening:
    Bad geared tank running heroics with 264+ geared people.
    Bad geared tank running low end raids with 264+ geared people.

Scenarios where I can't imagine that happening:
    Raiding progression content with people of similar gear... and pretty much everything else.

I guess what I'm saying is, outside of a gimmick scenario, the threat stats on your base gear will always be sufficient to meet the requirement of holding aggro, and you therefore have no real reason to gem/enchant for anything but staying alive with the way the game is designed right now.

^ this.

I have a simple and yet effective formula for this:
    Expertise = good but Stamina > Expertise

Quote Originally Posted by Mawini View Post
    People differ in opinions here and everywhere else, but no matter what they say I cannot wrap my head around gemming/enchanting for something that doesn't improve their ability to do their job.
    Its really situational depending on your gear.

For example I have over 63k hp raid buffed (with 2 stamina trinkets), I also have those 2 hybrid gems in slots that yield a +12 and + 9 bonus so I only loose 9 stamina vs. putting x2 +30 stamina gems in. I think I can afford loosing 90 hp to become dodge capped. My threat is not an issue, but why gimp myself by adding dodges into the situation when I'm 2 gems and a buff food from the cap?

Again it all depends on the tanks individual situation. 26 expertise skill is hardly a bad thing.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    Its really situational depending on your gear.

For example I have over 63k hp raid buffed (with 2 stamina trinkets), I also have those 2 hybrid gems in slots that yield a +12 and + 9 bonus so I only loose 9 stamina vs. putting x2 +30 stamina gems in. I think I can afford loosing 90 hp to become dodge capped. My threat is not an issue, but why gimp myself by adding dodges into the situation when I'm 2 gems and a buff food from the cap?

Again it all depends on the tanks individual situation. 26 expertise skill is hardly a bad thing.
    63k? As a warrior? That's quite a lot. But regardless, I believe that 90 hp is more beneficial than .2% less chance to be dodged or whatever. More staying alive in worst cases > more distance between tank and dps, imo. Still can't wrap my head around it.

Okay, the discussion is turning into an argument. Let's paraphrase, shall we?

On the one hand, it's nice to have a lot of stamina, especially if you and your raid are confident that you, as a tank, can put out plenty of threat to keep the DPS capped and beat enrage timers.

On the other hand, some people feel they have enough stamina where they are fine to sacrifice a part of their max health to build some other stats.

Bottom line: Which ever of the two paths you pick, you will be fine. Stop worrying about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Bottom line: Which ever of the two paths you pick, you will be fine. Stop worrying about it.
    That was really the take home message of my post, however it got derailed with my explanation of why I go one way vs. the other.

Well said Dread.

Closed Thread