+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with converting to dw frost tank build

Help with converting to dw frost tank build

So after reading and reading and then reading some more the general consensus seems to be that dw frost tank is the preferred build over 2h. I converted my alt last night and ran a heroic this morning and had no problem with threat, in fact it seemed significantly better than 2h. However, I'm not sure if it was the healer or not but I seemed to be taking a crap load of damage which makes no sense given my gear. I was running Ankahet for the daily, the healer was a pally and either he was just pathetic as a healer or something is wrong with the talent build or something else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...nar&cn=Sereeth

That instance, in my opinion, just happens to be one of the hardest hitting instances for a DK tank due to the predominance of spellcasters. I will pop Anti-Magic Shell before (or sometimes during) any pulls involving the Ahn'kahar Spell Flinger(s) and multiple Frostbringer(s).

I always make sure I pop AMS before heading onto the two platform pulls before the blood prince. If you don't, you certainly could stress most healers that you'll encounter using the LFD.

All in all, I'd say this is more of an instance specific issue than a gear or spec issue.

Yeah, I popped magic shell and most everything else to stay alive. Didn't help.

Then I'd have to say it was the healer. You're in roughly the same place on your tanking gear as I am, possibly even a little ahead of me, and I haven't noticed much difficulty in OK lately when I use my CD's appropriately. AMS and IF should get you through the caster heavy pulls in there with little difficulty.

If you've tried more, and different, heroics since originally posting I'd be interested to hear about the results and if you've still got the squishy feeling.

Thanks much for the reply.

I tanked VOA 10 last night with the guild, no issues at all. Still fighting hard for TPS on some fights due to how geared some of our Mages etc are, but I did get the T10 pants last night and was able to switch one of my tank weapons to my dps weapon. I now use gutbuster with fallen crusader on main and frost cleave on right with nerubian rune.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaraih View Post
    So after reading and reading and then reading some more the general consensus seems to be that dw frost tank is the preferred build over 2h. I converted my alt last night and ran a heroic this morning and had no problem with threat, in fact it seemed significantly better than 2h. However, I'm not sure if it was the healer or not but I seemed to be taking a crap load of damage which makes no sense given my gear. I was running Ankahet for the daily, the healer was a pally and either he was just pathetic as a healer or something is wrong with the talent build or something else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...nar&cn=Sereeth
    Stat wise it seems you are doing things right, hit is decent and your expertise is at 26 which is perfect.

Your weapons are both slow which is ideal.

You should be able to easily tank that instance so if you were having problems I'm assuming it's the healer.

Let us know if you have similar problems with other healers.

+ Reply to Thread