+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pick my tank apart! Protection Paladin

Pick my tank apart! Protection Paladin

OK new tank (2 weeks old). I have had some conflicting criticisms (and I'm sure to get some more) but I want to get feedback on everything from gear to glyphs.

Here's my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...jaeden&cn=Tyog

I've been told:

Lose both trinkets for stam trinkets. (I'm guessing The Black Heart and Corroded Skeleton Key)

Lose all non pure stamina gems and enchants.

Lose 1 point in spiritual attunement and all 3 from benediction and put them in conviction.

My stamina is 37619 with Blessing of Sanctuary and Flask of Stoneblood. That's still too low?

Code:
    /run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable at 102.4%% - you  have %.2f%%", GetDodgeChance() + GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance() + 5  + 1/(0.0625 + 0.956/(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)/4.91850*0.04))))
    I'm getting 101.88% avoidance from the unhittable macro WITH Holy Shield up (71.88% without)- but that's going to drop if I change gems, enchants and trinkets for pure Stamina.

I'm using the 96969 starting with Shield of Righteousness then Judgement of Wisdom, Hammer of the Righteous, Holy Shield, Shield of Righteousness then Consecration. I skip Consecration if Omen looks good (sometimes using Hand of Reckoning or Holy Wrath in its place). I try not to use Avenger's Shield to pull, usually using Hand of Reckoning followed by Consecration instead. I have not figured out the right time to use Avenging Wrath.

I'm using Ret aura and Seal of Command on trash and Vengeance on bosses. I feel this is important because I have trouble pulling and holding multiple mobs (at 2 weeks of practice).

I'm using Tidy Plates: Threat Plates and Healbot configured for Righteous Defense and assist Hand of Reckoning. I still suck quite a bit and using the dungeon finder I've found most people don't have the patience for a slow going tank in training.

For references I've been using: RAWR, WOW-Heroes, Maintankadin, Paladin Schmaladin, and Elitist Jerks.

I think that's all the pertinent information. If you take the time to comment, please be thorough (translated: idiot proof) and don't clown. I really am trying to learn the tank role.

Thank you.

Don't worry about unhittable. It's nice for heroics and adds and stuff but not important to a raiding tank.

For bosses, you want to pop your wings right when your SoV hits 5 stacks. The reason for this is, your melees will deal a significant amount of damage. If you're losing aggro in the 7-8 seconds that it takes to stack up to 5, tell your dps to stop being retards.

AS is a great pulling tool if there are no casters or interrupts in play. For opening up on a boss, I typically taunt + AS (since our taunt deals damage too, that's what you should open up with) then go to town.

For raiding, you want two things: stam and armor (collectively known as effective health). Glyph of Indomitability is a fantastic trinket, Ferver of the Frostborn is pretty much vendor trash. Get Black Heart or Skeleton Key (probably BH, you have more crucial ups with Frost badges IMO).

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdxfMzbcG is the spec you should use. There are some points that you can put elsewhere (that second point in Imp Judgements can go pretty much anywhere), but it hits 3/3 Crusade and 2/2 Vindication which were the important talents you were missing. Also note the SoV glyph - it is fantastic for single-target threat, even if you're over 26 from gear.

Gear, aside from the DPS ring (I assume you just use that for heroics and stuff), looks pretty good. Lose the defense enchants and gems for more stam/armor though (I'd even get the 30 stam pvp shoulder enchant). And on the off chance that you don't have a second tanking ring, off to H ToC 5 for you!

I thought a second point in Imp Judgements was a huge mistake because it screwed up the rotation? Do you outgrow the rotation or what?

The 2nd point doesn't really mess up the rotation, it's just wasted on it. I prefer saving an insignificant amount of mana to completely wasting a point.

Once in a blue moon the second point will come in handy when you deviate from the rotation (or possibly screw it up unintentionally), just like once in a blue moon the 2% mana will actually be useful. Doesn't matter much one way or another.

I respecced my tree to the 53/18 suggested and replaced 4 gems (only a 530 increase in stamina- doesn't seem like much). Only things with defense enchants are my cloak and shield and i don't see stamina options there. Added the Mark of the Relentless w/stamina gem and enchant. Got The Black Heart. Now, Well Fed, Flask of Stoneblood and Blessing of Sanctuary bring me to 40859 stamina. My expertise is 30 unglyphed so I'm sticking with that. I don't have the honor for the pvp shoulder enchant but if I fall into some PVP I may pick that up. . Thanks for commenting.

New Armory Link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...jaeden&cn=Tyog
    Last edited by Tyog; 03-17-2010 at 07:32 AM.

+ Reply to Thread