+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bear Tanking 10 ICC Saurfang. Squish Squish Squish?

Bear Tanking 10 ICC Saurfang. Squish Squish Squish?

Hello everyone,

My bear went into heroic 10 icc this week and everything was fine until we got to saurfang.

The damage intake seems extremely high. Not the single hits so much as they hit for 6-8k normally and about 10-13k when he's got 90+ BP.

The issue I'm having is that when I tank him while he's going nuts he may hit me 4 times in a row for 10-13k so my health goes from about 62k to 20k within a couple seconds and it seems like healers are having a problem keeping me up.

I've tried a couple trinkets at well to see if I could make something work. The black heart, furnace stone, ick's rotting thumb, the coin, and the skeleton key is what I have to work with. No matter what I did though, I still felt very uncomfortable with the dmg I was taking.

Perhaps the high damage is also just a direct consequence of getting marks too early but it seems that we end up getting 3 marks or so @ 40-45% and then healers are almost OOM. We tried 2 and 3 healer setups (druid, shaman, holy priest) and every attempt I was the tank to go down.

Should I try to focus on pure armor trinkets + armor pot or should I try to go with avoidance to help the damage intake?

Here's my armory along with the logs. We're going for it again tonight so any tips are much appreciated.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=Ninjadrood

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/4...ses&boss=37813

Few things I noticed quick like.

1. You do not have 4 Piece Tier 10, This means you are lacking an available cooldown. Picking that up is 12% less damage your taking for 10 seconds every time you use it.
    2. Neither you, or the Warrior Tank, has a improved attack debuff. One of you applying it would decrease damage intake by roughly another 4-5% minimum per hit. If the Debuff you have ever drops it's an automatic 10% or more increase in damage taken.
    3. Your tank swaps are not working properly, across all your attempts Rune of Blood healed him for 10,225,920 health.
    4. If Thunderclap ever drops, you suddenly start taking attacks 14% faster then previous because you do not have infected wounds maxed out.
    5. It appears you died first more then the warrior, your healers may not be switching quick enough, you may want to try giving them more warning and / or using cooldowns when you taunt (if you are not already)
    6. Your shaman should be using Stoneskin totem, do not be afraid to use Indestructible potions.
    7. You may want to consider a Glyph of Indom for 50 Triumph Badges, this would give you another cooldown.
    8. If you are tanking Saurfang with Maul Glyph, you may be aggroing the Blood Beasts resulting in increased damage intake, as well as increased Blood Power gain.

Looking over the logs, the major issue is that your raid is taking melee attacks from Blood Beasts. This is why you're getting marks so early and why your healers are stretched.

Click this: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/4...ses&boss=37813

You can see from that that the Blood Beasts took 65 melee swings at the raid. If you click 'damage by actor' - you can see who took the attacks - mostly your warlock Cabbar - but also you! Glyph of Maul may well be at fault, or indeed Swipe. Be really careful when they spawn.

I looked over your deaths and they're not down to you taking burst damage or anything unexpected. You just aren't getting the healing you should. I suggest your tank healer (Kvee I assume) was stretched dealing with Marks or hadn't noticed the tank switches. You are overgeared for this encounter. It's not your gear that'll turn the tide, its the raid's performance.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look over this!

The 4T10 is still out of reach right now as the druid is my alt but it is something I'm aiming for

The maul glyph is a problem yes, on our attempts I simply lacerated and FFF'd before the adds came up to avoid this but I wasn't aware that this fight would be as intense as it is. That along with going for imp. demo roar and and the indominability is great advice with infected wounds!

The swapping seemed to be fine, that damage may have come from our wipes but it's also something I'll mention so we can keep a closer eye on it and I'm sure our shaman can drop a stoneskin totem to help out.

@ Fayre, yes the problem with the adds was heavy on our first attempts and I did maul an add on a couple of attempts so I'll be removing it for this fights as Fenier mentioned.

As far as giving a heads up on tank switching, is rune of blood on an active timer or is it random? I honestly didn't notice a timer bar for it so I may vey well have overlooked the obvious here. Kvee actually pointed that out - that he needed more of a head up when we're about to switch but due to the immediate need to taunt off the other tank I didn't think there was a warning. If there is no bar but it's on a timer I could just manually time it if needed.

So far this help is a lot more productive than I ever expected so thank you again for taking the time to give me your input, it's very much appreciated and will be put to use tonight.

In heroic 10man your debuff will drop off about 2 seconds before he reapplies it to the current tank, so you (and your healers) can always watch the non-current tank's debuffs (if you see what I mean).
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

Quote Originally Posted by ninjamoo View Post
    As far as giving a heads up on tank switching, is rune of blood on an active timer or is it random? I honestly didn't notice a timer bar for it so I may vey well have overlooked the obvious here. Kvee actually pointed that out - that he needed more of a head up when we're about to switch but due to the immediate need to taunt off the other tank I didn't think there was a warning. If there is no bar but it's on a timer I could just manually time it if needed..
    As mentioned, it's on a timer. Automatically assume your healer will slack / take time to switch to you. Be proactive at using a cooldown if available when taunting. Hit the Cooldown and Growl, at the same time announce in Vent that you are now tanking.

It should be noted however your healers should know that the tank will switch often / without warning and assuming your DPS are handling the blood beasts correctly, the bulk of the time should be healing the current main tank, esp until you start getting Marks.

Lastly Kvee is a Druid, and unless he's having mana issues he can put Heal over Time spells on you prior to the actual tank switch so he's not playing catch up from the start.

Final Note on mana issues: You run a Druid, Priest and Shaman. Stick them in the same group, Shaman hits Mana Tide as soon as all the healers hit 75% or so. This will now recycle during the fight. The Enrage timer is long enough you can get 3 Innervates in, and the Priest can use the Shadow Fiend and Hymn of Hope. Your healers should be lasting a long time. That doesn't even factor in Mana Spring or the Shaman's Water Shield procs from Critical Healing.

We're doing the fight right now, attempt #1 million.

I picked up the glyph trinket + black heart, popping ind. pots and war went with imp. shout and 20% slow. Tank damage is fine now, it helped a lot.

We still weren't able to 2 heal with a holy priest and resto shaman (through marks and tank dmg) though :/

Edit: Gave up on him for now -.~ Dps seems a little too low with a 3 healer setup so he would enrage
    Last edited by ninjamoo; 03-15-2010 at 01:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread