+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior tps help. Any ideas?

Warrior tps help. Any ideas?

I've been a warrior tank for almost 3yrs now and love it very much. I never had a problem holding threat over anyone until I started raiding ICC. Here's my current setup and any input would be greatly appreciated. I understand that being lower geared in a group of higher geared individuals will force me to work twice as hard to hold aggro. I guess my main question is, is my rotation messed up or should I start gemming for other stats or should I fix my spec again? I currently go charge> Dev, Dev, SS, Rev, HS for single mob For multiple its more like charge> TC> SW> Then start stacking sunders and using my abilities as necessary tabbing through targets like crazy and using cleave when I have the rage. I also use demo shout a lot. My major glyphs are blocking, devastate and revenge. I run with a DK tank that usually pushes anywhere from 11-13k tps where I'm at a staggering 5-8k Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...dorei&cn=Digga

Open with Shield Slam, drop revenge from your rotation unless rage starved(almost never the case in ICC.)
    I'd drop the parry/dodge/hit gems for something better. And I'd definitely switch to a deep wounds spec.

Edit:
    You may also want to macro heroic strike to shield slam.

Its priority but ive learned a system that holds and ive yet to let go, Charge, Tunder Clap on the way, (Glyph gets your target) Sheild Slam, Shockwave, Conc blow, Dev, Demo Shout,Dev till 5 stacks, Rend.(Revenge can be used anywhere when available)

Now comes the tricky part, Once my initial rotation is setup i then go into priority over rotation.
    Sheild Slam > Revenge > Concussion Blow > Shockwave > Thunder Clap > Devastate+Heroic Strike (or Cleave).

Now ive seen Dasverlassen's post ill explain why i use Revenge~ This usually becomes available in the beginning of your rotation when if possibly you may be slightly rage starved, however i still use it in my rotation and as i say nothing's wrong with my aggro.

This is what i use whilst the time keeping my timers up like rend, Demo Shout.

Spamming Devastate binded with Heroic Strike is usually what im working as i always have rage incomming unless the priority kicks in.
    For groups i replace Heroic Strike with Cleave as i've spec'd for it and it works the same just alt tabbing through making you have 5 stacks of Devastate, Demo Shout, Thunderclap. (This works fine, but make sure you keep tabbing through refreshing)

This is just my 2 Cents but it works for me and we have hunter/loks pulling 7-8k on a average day and i dont slip a beat nor use Vigilance on DPS.
    Last edited by Stholy; 03-10-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: spelling and additonal information
    Those that live in a glasshouse should not throw stones.

a) Vigilance the highest threat dps
    b) Make sure you have the 2pc setbonus of T10 - AMAZING difference especially in aoe aggro
    c) Demo shout is good for debuffing but does crap threat on aoe. Days of shouttanking packs is unfortunately gone. However, if you wait with Commanding Shout till after the pull, the effect of adding hp to everyone in the raid can & will get you on every mobs attention (again very low threat but i found it to be higher that demo shout. And it only works if CS actually buffs people, repeated CS wont do anything)

Devastate does more damage then revenge and will give you higher threat, not to mention it has a higher crit chance which is great for a deep wounds spec.
    Are you using Shield Block every time it's off cooldown? It increases threat of your shield slam by roughly double and will give you extra rage at the start of a pull.

Don't use rend imo

Swap your revenge glyph for sunder armor glyph.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Sunder armor? why? Negative!!! If you want an AoE threat glyph grab cleave if anything.

Furture more, don't rend. 1 devastate is more threat than I rend, so it is a threat and dps loss to use rend.

I currently have 4 buttons on my bars for my threat rotation, I press 2. "3" is my /cast devastate /cast heroic strike macro, "4" is my shield slam macro, then 1 is just devastate without HS bound to it, and 2 is HS. I usually just press 3 and 4 and can output about 11k TPS with my setup (very low threat stats too, 121 hit/23 expertise).

Revenge: is currently lower TPS and DPS than devastate and should be dropped from your rotation unless you literally have no range to do anything else.

Spec: take a gander at the spec I have outlined in my guide (link in sig) it should increase your TPS by a lot.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I like my sunder armor glyph.

lol
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

I would suggest using shield block right before the pull or as you charge in and then opening with shield slam. Also in fights that don't require tank swaps, or where you have alot of time between swaps (IE fester) I like to use mocking blow as my 2nd CD after charging in, as it gives a good amount of threat.
    Last edited by Portorhouse; 03-11-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Grammer

2 Macros

/cast Shield Block
    /cast Shield Slam
    /cast Devastate
    /cast Heroic Strike
    For single target (bosses) #1 is your opener, you charge in hit macro #1 and then start spamming macro #2. You can also throw a mocking blow in there at the start to get a jump. Hitting Heroic Throw as you charge in is a nice boost too.

For multi target (even in heroics) I pretty much hold threat with spamming #2 (while tab targeting) and mixing in TC and SW on CD.

Really your threat comes from your talents/glyphs and proper ability usage. It has very little to do with your gear. You spec seems slightly odd to me. For threat probably the best spec is: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00...idIzsGo:cANzmc
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

I would strongly advise AGAINST using shield block in a macro with shield slam. Being able to know when to use shield block properly and micro managing it will get you a lot further than hitting it on cooldown.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread