+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How low is too low for Hit?

How low is too low for Hit?

So I know that hit rating is not the top of the heap for paladin tanks, but how low do most of you feel comfortable going?

Here's my scenario. I'm currently packing some Frost emblem off-spec gear (cloak, verdigris belt, gauntlets of the kraken) and some T-9 and off spec 245 gear as well. My current hit rating is 175, well below the cap, but hasn't seemed to cause me any trouble so far. So the other day, I picked up the plate legs from ToC 25. They are an upgrade for me, not huge, but still an upgrade. But, they will cause me to lose another 45 hit. I'm starting to get nervous about equipping them. As it stands, I'm Expertise capped, but I also felt the need to glyph for taunt so that I don't miss at important times (ie. Deathbringer Saurfang).

Here's my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ar&cn=Destrier

and here are the new legs in question http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47052

So would you make the swap and lose more hit? Where's the critical point?

Hit rating is more of a threat stat than anything else. Do you feel like you have threat problems? In raids, it isnt very common anymore. With all the misdirects, ToTs, etc. And you should carry a few of every glyph that you'll need with you and swap them constantly depending on the fight, it may be a bit costly but definetly worth it. If you need survival, (i.e. Festernut) then just swap to ur survival glyph. Need to hold threat? (i.e. Lady D) then just swap a glyph or 2 out. Need to have the 110% hit chance taunt? (I.E. Gormok ToGC, Saurfang) then just swap it out. You get what im saying. Expertise is kind of a survival spec too, but not entirely. Its just good for parryhaste which doesnt really matter anymore. Basically what im saying is, dont feel self conscious about your hit and expertise stats unless you're having threat problems, and if you are, its fixable thru rotations (most of the time). Also, what im saying is, dont have a certain set of Glyphs you will always stick with. Dont be afraid to swap those things out on a regular basis! Hope i helped

While my pala tank isnt ready yet, i regularly tank with a really good paladin in our guild raids. The only way i noticed he had a drop rating in hit is when his vindications started running out (for less than half a second at most) every now & then whereas it used to refresh every 2-3 secs. And with no heroic Gormok25 like bosses in icecrown (even Fester isnt that bad), there really isnt that much wrong with low hitrating. (The pala i mentioned is now at 175 rating though). Basically i'd say go with it.

Ok, really getting nervous now. I picked up some bracers in ICC 10, again without hit. If I swap both pieces out (legs and bracers) my hit will be at 100. Too low now?

Go back about 4 pages or so in this section and you will find about 30 posts mentioning this exact same thing. TotC gear was all lacking hit, but having lots of expertise. ICC gear has tons of hit, and little to no expertise. It's nothing new, just go with it.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Nope. You should try to keep it as high as achievable through gear upgrades, but never wear a tier lower piece just for extra hit. If you are doing a fight that missing 2 taunts in a row will wipe you and you are feeling insecure about the probability of that happening with your current hit rating, swap out your worst glyph for the taunt glyph for that fight. Other than taunts, hit does not matter.

Please be sure to understand that taunt is based on spell hit, which is unattainable while maximizing survivability. If you can glyph it, do it for taunt sensitive fights.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    Please be sure to understand that taunt is based on spell hit, which is unattainable while maximizing survivability. If you can glyph it, do it for taunt sensitive fights.
    ^ This, If you absolutely MUST have a taunt land, then I have a table at the very bottom of my guide that shows how much hit you need given glyphs/buffs to ensure a taunt hand 100% of the time (TL;DR, for tanks witht he glyph, hit/stam food buff, a shadowpriest, and a draenai, you need like 92 hit or something, for horde it's 118).

If you don't need to taunt and don't have threat problems, then not even zero is too low.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread