+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Increasing Warrior Tank DPS increase tips

Increasing Warrior Tank DPS increase tips

Hey folks!

I'm just after a few tips at the moment on increasing my warrior tanks DPS, as it seems to be REALLY lacking compared to other tanking classes i'm with durin raids.

Generally my DPS is sticking at around 1400 in ICC raids, which we should all know by now, certainly ISNT suitable for battles like festerguts! I'm basically after any tips people can give to boost my DPS with my current gear.

General rotation is Charge > Thunderclap > Shockwave > Devestate untill 5 stacks, sheild slam and Revenge spam, Devestate spam when everything else is on cooldown - Rinse and repeat from there

and its still giving me a low ass amount

Any help appretiated

Character in question can be found at ; http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...Co&cn=Griimjaw

I think by cutting Revenge out, as devastate currently does more damage, it'll increase your DPS. I'm usually doing over 2.2k dps in ICC. So I'd spam more devastate and only use revenge if you're rage starved.
    Last edited by MrMooky; 03-10-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: poop shoez

Charge>Shield Slam> Thunderclap (if a large group)>shockwave (if large group)>Devastate Spam>Shield Slam on CD/Proc>heroic Strike always cue'd.

If I had to guess, you aren't spamming heroic strike/devastate and that is hurting your DPS. With the new patch you'll likely find a way to work in Revenge.

Also note the above is situational, as all tanking "rotations" are. When you are in a large mob, switch cleave for heroic strike.

Oh, and I can't check the armory, but are you spec'd into deep wounds?
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    Charge>Shield Slam> Thunderclap (if a large group)>shockwave (if large group)>Devastate Spam>Shield Slam on CD/Proc>heroic Strike always cue'd.

If I had to guess, you aren't spamming heroic strike/devastate and that is hurting your DPS. With the new patch you'll likely find a way to work in Revenge.

Also note the above is situational, as all tanking "rotations" are. When you are in a large mob, switch cleave for heroic strike.

Oh, and I can't check the armory, but are you spec'd into deep wounds?
    Yes, he's specced for deep wounds. So it appears his rotation is what he needs to tweak.

Two things -
    1. Your hit rating seems kind of low, although your expertise is good.
    2. What enchant is on your weapon? Try the hit/crit enchant to increase dps.

Also, while I didn't look at your glyphs, a lot of tanks get a big dps boost with Glyph of Cleave, and I didn't see Cleave as part of your rotation. I am not a big fan of cleave, but I will use it on long fights against a group.

Rare to hear a tank ask about dps (as opposed to tps) but the thing with dps in general is that if you have 1 or 2 in your group that just do copious amounts of damage, everybody's numbers will be lower.
    Always stay behind your tank and in front of your healer.

I've never really had a TPS issue atall in all honesty since ICC release. They like to stick to me like glue.

Secondly - Yes i do throw cleave in there, i forgot to mention that and do indeed have glypph of cleave stuck on there.

At the moment i don't have an enchant on my weapon, but i'll have a look at that shortly.

Hit rating admittedly is low, but will no doubt go up when i get a few more bits of gear from ICC. and although expertise is high at the moment, i'm going the way of alot of the top tankers at the moment and that will soon be dropping quite rapidly in favour of pure stamina gems, but a boost in hit rating from gear.

+EDIT+

Just had a little play around with the Raid dummy in undercity......Recount is saying 1450 with a spam of devestate, sheild slam and heroic strike. Its baffling me, as before ICC i was much higher with 1900. Still low but better than it is now!

You are rage starved up against a test dummy. You have to have someone pummeling you before you'll be able to test it.

At the moment i don't have an enchant on my weapon, but i'll have a look at that shortly.

You definitely need the +25hit/+25crit enchant on your weapon.

You definitely need the +25hit/+25crit enchant on your weapon.
    If you want to die then yes (well, maybe a bit extreme... but still, that enchant is a loss to any player, an enchant should be based on survivability when tanking). Threat should not be an issue, and this enchant is a waste to anyone tanking in ICC. You should be enchanting Blood Draining/Mongoose/Bladeward. Of those three, I would recommend blood draining.

I have yet to see a tank rocking +25 hit/+25 crit on his weapon in ICC....
    Last edited by MellvarTank; 03-12-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    If you want to die then yes (well, maybe a bit extreme... but still, that enchant is a loss to any player, an enchant should be based on survivability when tanking). Threat should not be an issue, and this enchant is a waste to anyone tanking in ICC. You should be enchanting Blood Draining/Mongoose/Bladeward. Of those three, I would recommend blood draining.

I have yet to see a tank rocking +25 hit/+25 crit on his weapon in ICC....

I agree that this isn't the best tank enchant, but if you would have read Kaoscontrol's question, you would have known that he wants to increase dps, NOT survivability. Blood Draining and Bladeward will do zilch for his dps, but the crit/hit enchant will help.

I understand that, but if he makes the changes to his rotation he should increase his DPS. I can run 1900 DPS in ICC at the lowest end (when I first went into ICC), usually I am around 2.6k. I have always been more concerned about living through a fight than how much DPS I do.

If he was serious about just wanting more DPS, he might as well use DPS trinkets and rings and a neck, but that isn't the case. Increase your DPS while maximizing your survivability, otherwise just stop tanking and go DPS.

Again, I agree with survivability more than dps, but considering he currently has no weapon enchant, it wouldn't be a loss for him to get it.

He can keep all his current tanking gear (which has already kept him from dying through ICC), tweak his rotation and simply add an enchant to give him a better hit rating (dps boost) and crit rating (dps boost).

Whenever I see a recount during a run, I always laugh out loud, because as a tank, I couldn't care less what my dps is as long as I am taking the brunt of the damage and the group survives.
    Last edited by jh7468; 03-12-2010 at 11:06 AM.

As a tank I think about every single itty bitty tiny thing I can do to increase the performance of my raid. As I tank I think about survivability, TPS and DPS. I try to never miss a trick. Anything and everything I can do to help my raid. On some fights in ICC dps is important for every single member of the raid, Festergut comes to mind. If as the tank I can increase my dps by even a couple of hundred dps I help my raid. I am going to do anything I can to help. I have two tanking weapons, one for survivability and one with crit/hit for dps. I normally hover around 2k and I too would like to increase my dps so please continue the discussion.

Depending on your gear you do pure devastate and a shield slam when shield block buff is active, or you do slam->devastate until slams available again. You should be doing about 2600-2900 with a 1-2 button rotation.

Stabum hits it on the head - the best tanks need to worry about everything, including dps. On long fights a small boost in any player's dps may mean the difference between wiping or collecting badges, and the tank is no different.

As gacktt says, strictly in terms of offensive (dps) attacks, devastate and shield slam should be the primary actions. And since this thread is about dps, I'll stay on that track. But there are a few other things to mention -

1. Concussion Blow and Heroic Throw should be used after every cooldown
    2. On a boss, cleave isn't necessary, but on a mob, it can be a big dps booster, especially when glyphed
    3. Deep Wounds vs. Cruelty
    3. What about Heroic Strike?
    4. As a warrior, I always have Commanding Shout up, but in a group with 2 Warriors, 1 could have Battle Shout up.
    Last edited by jh7468; 03-13-2010 at 02:48 PM.

After reading all the posts, every single person is right, u do need to focus on survivability, TPS and DPS, so to be honest u need a secondary tank set, one as a MT and one for OT that offers a lil more DPS stats while being able to survive a boss fight incase the MT goes down. As MT u should be trying to survive and make the healers job as easy as possible seeing as most bosses have a type of AoE so healers are keeping busy,and in that sense YOU should not be focusing on topping the DPS charts so much as taking the minimal amount of damage but topping the TPS charts.

Tanking is usually the same for other then the cleave-heroic strike switch out, but in boss fights always keep your abilities with Cooldowns on Cooldown. And possibly stock up on glyphs u can switch out on a whim if your worried about it i personnally like the 2 major glyphs for sunder armor cuz devastate is in my rotation as a main ability where as cleave isnt so important since most large mob fight only last 45 seconds at most, but in heroics cleave is a main thing for AoE tanking so having a dual tanking set is ideal in your case when you worry about all the factors, but the good part in heroics cleave is also a threat ability for multiple targets. So i hope that helps defeat the quarrel of covering all the aspects in your tanking duties : )
    Last edited by walmartman; 03-14-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spell check

Enchant your weapon with accuracy.

Don't listen to what other people said that accuracy is bad. Currently, there is no best tank weapon enchantment. They are ok at best. You won't notice a big difference between one enchantment to another. You probably won't notice any effects unless you spend time and look at the combat logs.

For your case, accuracy would be the best enchantment. Accuracy is good for people who has problem with threat generation. It is also good for people who spec and glyph for high survivability thus sacrificing a lot of threat and dps as I am.

Threat isn't a problem for him. And really accuracy doesn't buy much DPS if you already have threat covered.

From a DPS standpoint:
    (all info from Wowhead, please correct if wrong - or if you have a link to a site that does a better job of keeping up to date)

On proc Bladeward increases parry and will cause 600-800 damage on next parry, stacking up to 5 times for 3000-4000 damage on next parry. Not sure what the proc rate is.

Mongoose - apparently according to Wowhead comments 25% up time, with the following benefits - +240 armor (+2.3 AP - AttT), dodge +1.4% before DR, Melee Crit +1.92%, +2% haste.

Accuracy - +25 hit (depends on your gear if this is worth anything) and +25 Crit (+ ~.58% Crit?)

So from a pure DPS standpoint, it looks like Mongoose is as good as Accuracy for DPS if hit-capped, maybe slightly less if not.

I don't know enough about Blade Ward's rate to be able to judge. It would look like from a DPS stand point you're looking between Mongoose and Bladeward I think.

Of course this would be a pretty minimal DPS gain either way. If pure DPS is your concern, Bonebreaker Scepter, a Marrowgar drop http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50760 would be the best way to increase your DPS (replacing Last Laugh). It's base damage of 244-454 (205.3 DPS) is a big increase from Last Laugh's 192-357 (171.6 DPS). This would be roughly a 20% increase in your DPS. To a lesser extent Rimefang's Claw (HPoS) or Falic's Wrist Chopper (HHoR), Ony10's tank wep drop or FL25 tank weapon drop would all be useful DPS increases as well.

This became a tank wep enchant thread, but really the biggest thing you can do is find a better wep. The benefit will far exceed any benefit of enchantment you choose.

Farm Rimefang/Wrist Chopper and hope for a better raid drop.
    Last edited by Loganisis; 03-16-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Old McDonald suggested Farming E-I-E-I-O.

Quote Originally Posted by jh7468 View Post
    I agree that this isn't the best tank enchant, but if you would have read Kaoscontrol's question, you would have known that he wants to increase dps, NOT survivability. Blood Draining and Bladeward will do zilch for his dps, but the crit/hit enchant will help.
    Blood Draining agreed. Bladeward will add extra damage on next parry after proc. Not consistent or very useful against primary magic users, but the DPS impact is >0

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post

This became a tank wep enchant thread, but really the biggest thing you can do is find a better wep. The benefit will far exceed any benefit of enchantment you choose.

Farm Rimefang/Wrist Chopper and hope for a better raid drop.
    Absolutely! It started as a rotation response, but it was pretty obvious that his rotation was pretty good and only minor tweaking was needed. But melee dps comes primarily from your weapon, and when I saw he had no enchant on his, that became an easy way to increase his dps. Of course, any tanking weapon available with a higher dps would bring him closer to the numbers he wants.

I hear only bad things about Bladeward's miserable proc rate. I have no hard data, but from other people's opinions, I only hear bad things.

+ Reply to Thread