+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to stun a boss

How to stun a boss

now that i have finally hit lvl 80 i am trying to get some achievements from the Heroic dugeons and for one of those you must not allow a particular boss to transform into a mammoth. My dad (lvl 80 Hunter) can stun him twice (stun ability, readiness, and same stun again) but that is not enough, i have two great stuns as a human warrior but niether one of them ever hits (concussive blow, and shockwave) i was just wondering, do i need to get my hit rating up or something or was i never intended to be able to stun a boss?

You cannot stun a heroic or raid boss at level 80, the only way to stop the transformation or any boss spell from happening as a prot warrior is to interrupt it with Shield Bash.

Shield Bash seems ineffective as well, once again, could this be due to hit rating?

Well if Shield Bash is being ineffective then that would mean you are missing but this is a chance of happening not that you are guaranteed to miss if you don't have a certain hit.

ok so i still have a chance to make it count, you have made that much clear, but my dad says it's best to get hit to 8% at least...., getting hit rating up would help this problem i am having wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Akiira View Post
    Shield Bash seems ineffective as well, once again, could this be due to hit rating?
    Note that shield slam =/= shield bash. The similarity of the names might be causing some confusion possibly. Shield Bash is the interrupt.

Honestly, the best tactic I've found is (sadly) to outgear the instance. :P 1 tank, 4 dps, blow heroism if you have a shammy, interrupt first cast when it is as close to done as possible, boss dies before he even attempts a second transform.

Otherwise, you need to time interrupts very carefully and exactly. Unless you are making a group specifically for this achievement, you likely need to assign an interrupt rotation, and have people with a particularly good sense of timing; since the transform cast time shortens each time, it gets more and more difficult to get the interrupt in.

ok so i still have a chance to make it count, you have made that much clear, but my dad says it's best to get hit to 8% at least...., getting hit rating up would help this problem i am having wouldn't it?
    8% is for raids. The hit cap for heroics is lower: 6%.

ok i know the diff between bash and slam, i have leveled my warrior as protection since about lvl 20 so i consider myself a rather decent tank, undergeared but still decent, and that answers my question on getting the achievement but still does not answer whether or not it would help to increase hit rating...

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    8% is for raids. The hit cap for heroics is lower: 6%.
    oops i went to post before this was said, tyvm! my current hit is ALMOST 4%

oops i went to post before this was said, tyvm! my current hit is ALMOST 4%
    Please note that for a raiding situation it is not advisable for a prot warrior to try and reach the hit cap and focus on EH.

I assume you are talking about Less Rabi achievement in Heroic Gun Drak.

Here are some notes on the mechanics:

- The cast time of his Transform is based on his health. The lower his health the faster he will cast transform. That much is obvious.
    - The intervals that he cast are set and also based on his health. Above 50% health he will cast Transform ever 10 seconds. Below 50% health he will cast every 5 seconds.
    - Get as much dps out of his first cast. Time your interrupts towards the end of his first transform cast. With high enough dps(everyone doing 5-6k with heroism this will be the only time he will be able to cast transform)
    - If you don't have the luxury of high dps you need to time your interrupts. Don't rely on seeing the cast begin. Due to server latency by the time you see it it will be too late. Instead time it. You can drag the stop watch out of your mini map and keep that running. While keeping up your dps after his first cast if he is still above 50% health count down from 10 and hit your interrupt. If that interrupt happens below 50% health count down from 5 and interrupt.
    - Once you get below 30% having multiple people attempting to interrupt is beneficial but may not be possible since there isn't a class in the game that has an interrupt available every 5 second. Make sure you set an interrupt rotation for this reason.
    - Also it is possible to not have a healer with this fight. Bring 4 dps and a tank. Have the tank get the first interrupt so the dps can unload without worry.

This is by far the hardest achievement in the game for a Heroic 5 man.

The cast time of the last transform is almost instant, roll in some client-server lag and it can readily appear as if you missed the interrupt. It almost seemed RNG luck when we worked on that one.

Here is a nice link I found for this Achievement.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/70062

Can anyone confirm the 8 sec lockout with counterspell? So if you interrupt him under 50% with counterspell, he can't try to transform again for 8 secs instead of the 5 sec which is the normal transformation cooldown.

Please only confirm this if you KNOW, don't just assume plz. I've been trying for this achievement for too long, it's getting annoying.

I still disagree with the statement that the mage interrupt is the best because the person writing that guide doesn't understand how the warlock felhunter interrupt works. While counterspell does have the longest lockout, Spell Lock is autocast and not reliant on latency or human reaction time (resolved server side). You interrupt the earlier casts manually while the pet is just left on passive. However many interrupts you are going for 2, 3, or 4... you have the warlock tell the felhunter to engage after the second to last interrupt has occured. For example, if you were killing the boss in 2 interrupts only, you could have a warrior interrupt the first as close to the end of the cast as possible, and then have the warlock send in the felhunter (only after they see the first cast was already interrupted so the felhunter doesn't interrupt that cast) and then the felhunter will automatically interrupt the next cast. Collect your achievement and move on.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 03-09-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenTankard View Post
    This is by far the hardest achievement in the game for a Heroic 5 man.
    True that. I tried every night for weeks till finally getting it.

Strangely, it seems easiest for groups whose gear either matches the instance, or grossly overgear it. Matching gear seems cause his casts to occur at intervals that are relatively easy to interupt, overgearing it lets you kill him b/f the second or third cast.

But if your group is somewhere in between, it seems that dps level guarantees he'll get a near-instant cast off when he's around 5%-20% health.

Advice to OP - make sure to queue for this instance every night till you get it. It's the only achievement where luck is the main factor, rather than skill or strategy.

+ Reply to Thread