+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frost tanking - Failing badly at initial aggro

Frost tanking - Failing badly at initial aggro

Code:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Thaurissan&cn=Excalyber
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Thaurissan&cn=Excalyber&group=2
    Theres my gear and frost spec.

My rotation is Deaths Chill > Icy Touch > Plague Strike > Obliterate > Blood Strike x 2 > Obliterate x 2 with frost strike dumps and howling blast every time it procs.

However my inital aggro is just terrible and i cant figure out what it is.

Im thinking army, but that cant be used for everything and im not sure if that aggro even counts to you.

Any tips at where im doin' it wrong?

Thanks,
    Excalyber

Quote Originally Posted by excalyber View Post
    However my inital aggro is just terrible and i cant figure out what it is.
    Your rotation should be fine for single-target. Get your Expertise up 26, and I assume you've macro'd Rune Strike into your major abilities?

Also try opening with diseaseless Oblit for a quicker threat spike:

OB - IT - PS - BS - BS - FS - OB - OB - OB - OB (HB when Rime procs)

Also try moving 2/3 from Morbidity to 2/2 2H Weapon Specialization, and 3/3 Virulence to 3/3 Scent of Blood. You can get away with lower hit rating, since nearly half our threat comes from Rune Strike alone, and it can't miss. On fights that require taunt-toggling b/t tanks, replace Glyph of FS w/ Glyph of Dark Command.

And Frost's AoE is already so strong that Morbidity is not really needed. SoB will give you more RSs and FSs right off the bat, and throughout the fight.

If all that doesn't work, you DPS is just jumping the gun and you'll have to ask them to wait a few seconds for you to build threat b/f they lay into the mob.

Patch 3.3.3 will also buff the threat on IT when in Frost Pres, as well as changing Endless Winter to a 2/4% Str buff, both of which should help alot on initial aggro.
    Last edited by Kurtosis; 03-09-2010 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    Your rotation should be fine for single-target. Get your Expertise up 26, and I assume you've macro'd Rune Strike into your major abilities?

Also try opening with diseaseless Oblit for a quicker threat spike:

OB - IT - PS - BS - BS - FS - OB - OB - OB - OB (HB when Rime procs)

Also try moving 2/3 from Morbidity to 2/2 2H Weapon Specialization, and 3/3 Virulence to 3/3 Scent of Blood. You can get away with lower hit rating, since nearly half our threat comes from Rune Strike alone, and it can't miss. On fights that require taunt-toggling b/t tanks, replace Glyph of FS w/ Glyph of Dark Command.

And Frost's AoE is already so strong that Morbidity is not really needed. SoB will give you more RSs and FSs right off the bat, and throughout the fight.

If all that doesn't work, you DPS is just jumping the gun and you'll have to ask them to wait a few seconds for you to build threat b/f they lay into the mob.

Patch 3.3.3 will also buff the threat on IT when in Frost Pres, as well as changing Endless Winter to a 2/4% Str buff, both of which should help alot on initial aggro.

Thanks for taking the time to really go through my tree and help me out, i really appreciate this.

My expertise is 26 food buffed so thats fine and yes rune strike is macroed. Ill respec now.

Btw trying out your UI, looks sweet.

Thanks again, Excalyber.

Cool, if I can think of anything else, will add it. But opening w/ OB instead of the standard IT+PS has helped me alot in those situations.

Be careful w/ my UI, I can't tank without it now, lol, I've been using it a few months now, and recently switched over to Linux and reinstalled WoW. Couldn't wait to reinstall and reconfigure my UI, and tried doing the daily H w/ the default UI, and was totally lost.

Going to create another one soon based off my DK UI but more general for any class. It will be a little lighter weight, better performing, and more polished in some areas (adding ButtonFacade to Satrina Buff Frames, for one). Will link to it from my current DK UI.

+ Reply to Thread