+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Action bars

Action bars

Ok so at the moment im using the standard WoW set up that looks like this

world-of-warcraft.jpg
    and then I people using something that looks like this

4321687207_e11a16a040_o.jpg
    which i think looks way better but want to no how i do/get it like that

Some people use Bartender4 addon, which will allow you to fully customize your action bars. Change the size, row height, row size. Even how big each action bar is. Very easy to understand.

The above is dominos I believe.

There are many different ways to modify your UI.

You can download one "in a box" so to speak. These UI's are designed by players and packaged up to be used by others. It's all the addons you need to make your UI look like theirs in one convenient package. They still require some set-up for your individual toon (putting actions on action bars, setting up keybindings etc.) but is generally easier then...

Building your own UI. Building your own UI will greatly increase the customization you can achieve, but it requires quite a bit of time and patience to get right. You must decide on the addons your going to use, and set them up manually. This is what I do.

Finally there's UI "suites" like Xperl, which package the most common functions into on big-ass addon with decent menu's. Forte Excorcist is also a suite type package. The plus side to these suite style ui's is they lie between completely building your own and using someone else UI in terms of customizability and ease of set-up. The downside is they tend to take a ton of memory.

For Action Bars the most popular are Bartender 4 and Dominos.
    For Unit Frames Pitbull or AG Unitframs. Unit frames are the representation of your (and your partes) characters health / mana /portrait.

In the example you provided they are also using a viewport mod with art. Sunnart or KG panels are the most common. The plus side to a viewport (bars on the top and bottom of the screen) is it actually lets you see more of the world, not less. Think a wide screen movie.

www.curse.com or www.wowinterface.com has tons of different UI mods available for downloads. Both have user compilations, suites, and individual addons for download.

Tankspot's own compilations: http://www.tankspot.com/forumdisplay...I-Compilations The UI's found in the project marmot videos can all be found here.

For people just starting out I would recommend Xperl + Bartender 4. That should cover ~90% of what your looking for; but will allow you some customization. Both programs come with a nice and simple menu for set-up. Alternatively: downloading a compilation will be the easiest.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by drae; 03-08-2010 at 05:33 AM.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

That helps alot see as of right now im a clicker I was wondering if setting up key bindings and customizing my UI would help me do more dps? Like if its easier to key bind then to click which means more dps? I'm really new to this whole keybind/customizing UI thing as ive always clicked while raiding etc. It seems like people like keybinding for raiding and stuff though so I want to learn how to do it where would I start?

Wrong and Wrong :P.

Sparta Interface (im sure) combined with Bartender (most likely)

Quote Originally Posted by Prinnyraid View Post
    Wrong and Wrong :P.

Sparta Interface (im sure) combined with Bartender (most likely)
    This i'm pretty sure b/c i use the same sort of set up :X

yeh that's definitely sparta.

bartender 4 is a really good bar addon and easy to keybind things. i know most people who click and haven't bothered trying to play with keybinds is because keybinding things with the default bars is a pain. pick a day when you don't have to do anything important like a non-raid night or something, download bartender or another bar addon like dominos and keybind things and get comfortable with using them. once you get the hang of it, your game play, dps and situational awareness will improve because of it. it's so mush faster to use an ability and move around while still dpsing with keybinds because you aren't moving your mouse around form one ability to the next and you aren't staring at your bars the whole time.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

I tried keybinding wit the standard bars and I ended up staring at my keys the whole time and not doing my rotations right also missing my instant slams since i was watching the keys. =/ If I do keybinding it would be nice to have run, abilities, and target mobs all close to each other I feel when im using my keys I dont want to use my mouse.

i keep my rotation pretty close to wasd so i don't have to move my fingers that much in case i have to move quick or look for a key.

my hotkeys for my most used abilities:
    W - Forward
    A - Strafe Left
    S- back
    D- Strafe Right
    2 - Pummel
    3 - Bloodthirst
    4 - Whirlwind
    Q - Slam
    E - Execute
    R - Deathwish/Orc Racial Macro
    Mousewheel Up - Heroic Strike
    Mousewheel Down - Cleave
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Power Auras or Miks scrolling battle text will help you see when your abilities are ready without having to look at your buttons.

Being able to look at the world the whole time, and not watch the cooldowns on your action bars will do wonders for your situational awareness. Keybinds are definitely faster reaction-wise once you've mastered them.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

+ Reply to Thread