+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What next? Feel stuck without raiding for gear.

What next? Feel stuck without raiding for gear.

I know I need help. I've read the forums and have a few items that will be upgrades for my Paladin tank.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Malygos&cn=Rou

I've been working on doing heroics for badges now for awhile, can tank ToC heroic 5 and ICC 5 (all 3) easily, but can't seem to get much upgrades as far as gear.

Raids would be fine, but I can only watch videos and read up on the fights without actually doing them, and nobody wants a "fail" tank that's just learning TOC 10 or VOA 10. My guild is small and we barely get enough to attempt these 10 mans and when we do it's not the right mix so we tend to fail repeatedly.

Once everyone got to a GS of about 4700 where did you go to hit the 5k mark?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rou

Just to give you better item lvls, and not taking into account which pieces actually provide upgrades...
    245 Helm and Shoulders from Triumph Emblems
    232 Tanking Weapon out of HHoR or HPoS
    232 Tanking Neck out of HHoR
    226 Belt From Emblems of Conquest
    219 Cloak out of Regular HoR
    219 Shield out of Regular HoR
    Those should get you well above 5k. Also if you get rid of some of your defense enchants/gems for more stamina you could pick up the 245 Armor Trinket to Replace Essence of Goss while actually increasing your hps/eh. The 232 Weapon and Neck are the only two you will be limited on attempts for in a day everything else is a regular instance or badge farming. Best of Luck.

Thanks lynnx!

Nice list Lynnx! :-)

But you forgot to mention frost emblems.

Rou, heres a order of what you should buy with your frost emblems:

1. When you have 50 frost emblems, you should buy the cloak.
    2. When you have 60 frost emblems, you should buy the belt.
    3. When you have 95 frost emblems, you should buy the chest.
    4. When you have 60 frost emblems, you should buy the trinket.
    5. after those, start building up for your t10, start with shoulders and helm, leave gloves and pants for last.*
    now it may take a while to get all the emblems of frost since you are not doing ICC, but here is what you can do to get frost emblems:
    • Do your random "daily" heroic(s) every day.
    • Do your weekly every week.
    • Kill 25 and 10 man Toravon in VoA every week.*
    *Toravon will drop t10 gloves and legs from 10 man, and t10.25 on 25 mans, so do those weekly and you might get gloves and pants (reason why I leave them as the last items to buy with frost emblems)

Quote Originally Posted by Rou View Post
    Raids would be fine, but I can only watch videos and read up on the fights without actually doing them, and nobody wants a "fail" tank that's just learning TOC 10 or VOA 10.
    Until your guild is able to field a better 10-man group, you could possibly go as DPS or heals in a pug. That would make it hard for you to get tank gear, I know, but it would let you see the encounter first-hand, and get the achieve -- nobody has to know you didn't get it tanking, lol.

Yeah, I know, that'd mean putting together an offset, if you don't have one already. But it appears you have some time to kill.

Thanks Trork and Bashal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnx View Post
    Just to give you better item lvls, and not taking into account which pieces actually provide upgrades...
    245 Helm and Shoulders from Triumph Emblems
    232 Tanking Weapon out of HHoR or HPoS
    232 Tanking Neck out of HHoR
    226 Belt From Emblems of Conquest
    219 Cloak out of Regular HoR
    219 Shield out of Regular HoR
    245 Breastplate of the White Knight
    245 Saronite Swordbreakers

Both crafted, both cheap and easy to get once the upcoming patch 3.3.3 removes the Titansteel cd. Look them up on Wowhead, and buy the mats now, b/c I suspect Titansteel mats will spike in demand and price once that cd is removed (maybe already are). Use Triumph Emblems to buy the requisite Crusader Orbs, or get them from the AH if you have more gold than emblems.

Don't bother trying to collect the T9 4set either, just go for gear score. You can live without the set bonuses (and for DK tanks at least, the 245 non-tier stats > 232 T9 set bonsues anyway), but you need the GS to get into raids.

Previous posts have been great, but were i you i would focus on getting into more raids. Most guilds (should) know that they can't expect all of their new recruits to have cleared the raid already, you just gotta sell yourself and knowledge in your class, the rest will come.

I used to lead a guild (much happier now that i don't ) but the big things i looked for were:

timeliness
    class knowledge, even if you've never done the fight inherent skill and common sense will show quickly (like facing mobs and stepping out of the green shit without being told to)
    Preparedness (which you seem to have covered)
    Ability to work well with others, even if you don't like them personally
    And self sufficiency, i.e don't show up every other raid and ask for food/flasks/pots. They'll notice when you are always flasked and well fed

Anyways, i know that might sound like common sense so i'm sorry if it doesn't help, good luck!
    Winter is coming

Thanks for all the input. Today I picked up the HROS weapon, HOR (normal) cloak, and bought the 226 belt from conquest badges. Tanked ICC rep runs with no deaths and felt a lot better about my gear.

With my new list in hand I'll keep working on the rest of it and start trading out some of my defense enchants/gems for STA to try and keep the defense at 540-545 (or more) and bring my total hit points up. Tonight with buffs I broke the 40k health mark for the first time and it felt great!

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the input as well Amaranthine, I plan to get some more confidence and join all these pugs going on all the time. I know at least on Malygos tanks are at a premium.

Haha! very true Rou, puggable tanks who have the IQ to down maly are at a VERY high premium! best of luck! and grats on the gear!
    Winter is coming

I once did a maly on my warlock and we had a PuG tank who just sat maly in the middle and it was real bad. I asked him if he had ever done the kite strategy and he goes "oh ya, forgot about that, will do it next attempt." And he proceeds to literally just kite malygos in a counter clockwise circle around the very edge of the room. /facepalm
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Wow agg, thats bout as bad as the pug tank I had this week in 10 maly for the weekly. I usually tank but was having trouble getting some dps to come along that weren't already locked out so I went dps. I asked the tank if he had tanked maly before he said yes. So we pull and when I call the first spark he drags Maly to the spark. I asked what he was doing, his response "Um duh we get dps buff if Maly eats the spark"... >_> /faceplam

@ mang & agg:

Wow.

Kurtosis - meant to thank you as well. Those are great upgrades and a guy in my guild can make them. I'm a miner/armorer as well but don't have the patterns yet.

+ Reply to Thread